A Flight of Spitfires (1 Viewer)

King & Country

1st Lieutenant
Hi Guys,

2018 marks the 50th Anniversary of the making of one of my favourite war movies... “THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN”.

Released in 1969 the film was a true epic of the time before ‘CGI(Computer Generated Imagery). Virtually all the aircraft seen in the air were the ‘real thing’ apart from some radio-controlled models used for crash scenes.

It’s fair to say that the production of this movie ‘kick-started’ the WARBIRD movement in the U.K. which continues to thrive and grow to this day.

At the time, 1968, the producers managed to locate 27 x Spitfires in the U.K. of which 12 were available for filming aerial scenes. Just 3 flyable Hurricanes in the entire world were able to take part.

Thanks to the Spanish Air Force, 32 x CASA 2 III’s (the locally-built version of He. III) were made use of as well as 27x Hispano Aviacon ‘Buchons’ (again Spanish versions of the Me.109).

To remember the movie K&C are releasing one of the aircraft portrayed in the film... Squadron Leader ‘Skipper’s’ Spitfire coded ‘AIA’ and sporting 9 x ‘kills’ alongside the Squadron Leader pennant on the fuselage of the aircraft.

In the movie the late Robert Shaw played ‘Skipper’.
Here are a couple of pix showing the ‘movie Spitfire’ alongside 3 previous Battle of Britain Spitfires produced by K&C.

Best wishes and ... happy flying!
Andy

P.S. ‘Spitfire Quartet’ also shows one of our very early solid canopy Spits.

RAF_20171123_1_resize.jpg

RAF_20171123_2_resize.jpg

RAF_20171123_3_resize.jpg

They look so good together Andy, BoB is certainly one of my favorite flicks too. The early scene with the Me109s attacking the Brit airfield is a classic, amongst many others.

The opening soundtrack was awesome. Maybe we’ll see a future ME 109 or a Stuka release for those Spitfires to chase.

Another great opening soundtrack was from the World at War series. I tunes has the original album score with a great extended version of the opening theme.

attachment.php

KC has done a nice job with this model. There are more bad Spitfire replicas around than I care to go on about. The basic shape of the aircraft is complex and can end up looking goofy from this, or that, angle. For example, Corgi's 1/32 version has VERY LITTLE dihedral on the wings, a characteristic which leaves a lot of fans of the type scratching their heads.:eek: Of course, the TRULY GREAT draw of the KC Spitfire is it's scale compatibility with the manufacturer's pilots, crew, vehicles and scenics. As I suspect is true of many of our members, I'm particularly enamored of the BoB sets.:cool:

-Moe

Fantastic looking Spitfire, would love to see,
Crash landed Spitfire or Hurricane.
Parachuting pilot Brit
Parachuting German pilot, having landed and collecting chute, with local farmers and/or home guard troops coming to capture the pilot,
Need another ME109.

I would like to see the Bolton Pault Defiant from one of the 2 Battle Of Britain Squadrons.:)

It would be nice to have some figures that allow the replication of some of the famous group shots. Like Bader and 242 Sqadron around the Hurricane or 501 Squadron around the tent at Hawking on 15 August.

Fantastic looking Spitfire, would love to see,
Crash landed Spitfire or Hurricane.
Parachuting pilot Brit
Parachuting German pilot, having landed and collecting chute, with local farmers and/or home guard troops coming to capture the pilot,
Need another ME109.

Just like you, I'd like to see a crash landed spitfire. I've been dreaming about this for a long time .... since K & C released the crashed Messerchmitt “Franz von Werra’s” in January 2012.

Maybe they could release a RAF pilot exiting from the plane after crash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back