A Real Reality Check (2 Viewers)

Thanks Rob. I know you and others have been waiting for the Typhoon and I'm glad you'll be able to have one. For me, I just don't like putting too much $ into one item.

I just simply cant afford the new prices:(
Scott

Thanks Rob. I know you and others have been waiting for the Typhoon and I'm glad you'll be able to have one. For me, I just don't like putting too much $ into one item.

I just simply cant afford the new prices:(
Scott

Actually I'm in the same boat Scott. I meant to say I just can't afford it as opposed to "I just don't like putting too much $ into one item". Unless I wanted to not purchase anything else for many months I guess ^&grin.

Maybe the answer is not to release as many new items each month. If you can not control your production costs as in any business you will eventually loose market share and cease to exist. Collectors are being priced out of the hobby every month, and new collectors hesitate to get involved in an increasingly more expensive hobby. Fortunately I can still afford to buy most of the pieces that I like, but I have cut my new K&C purchases by at least 90% in the last ten years. Now I have to think about what I am actually getting for my hard earned money. Price vs quality ? The two are starting to grow too far apart as far as I'm concerned.

Agree with most of what Toy Soldier Brigade has to say. But there is one statement that I ponder the absolute correctness of .... and new collectors hesitate to get involved in an increasingly more expensive hobby .Well …. like so many areas and hobbies the price determines the type of collector. So as a group of collectors are forced out a new group emerges to fill the space.
For example, I “was” an avid WWII badge, medal, patch and insignia collector. Mostly German WWI,I but I had a decent US and British collection as well. It got to a point where I was unable to even compete in any auction or attend a Military or gun show. Today the hobby is still very active but the prices are incredibly high. I would say that 90% of the guys that I knew than have moved on to other areas or hobbies.
Then there is the other side of the fence when a hobby crashes because of lack of interest … “Can you say beanie-baby, boys and girls?” I know the latter won’t happen but and I pray that the former is a long way off.
Thoughts????

Maybe the answer is not to release as many new items each month. If you can not control your production costs as in any business you will eventually loose market share and cease to exist. Collectors are being priced out of the hobby every month, and new collectors hesitate to get involved in an increasingly more expensive hobby. Fortunately I can still afford to buy most of the pieces that I like, but I have cut my new K&C purchases by at least 90% in the last ten years. Now I have to think about what I am actually getting for my hard earned money. Price vs quality ? The two are starting to grow too far apart as far as I'm concerned.

Yes Andy! You should drop THE most successful business model in the industry and start listening to people that are mad because things cost more! I've got an Idea! I'm going down to the BMW dealer and yell at him because the price of his cars went up! then I'm going to the gas station and yell at the clerk about $4.00 a gallon gas, then I'm headed to the farm to complain about food prices! PLEASE!! just get on with it, whats this the 6th thread about the cost? buy it or don't buy it I don't care, stay in the hobby or get out? just stop whining.

Yes Andy! You should drop THE most successful business model in the industry and start listening to people that are mad because things cost more! I've got an Idea! I'm going down to the BMW dealer and yell at him because the price of his cars went up! then I'm going to the gas station and yell at the clerk about $4.00 a gallon gas, then I'm headed to the farm to complain about food prices! PLEASE!! just get on with it, whats this the 6th thread about the cost? buy it or don't buy it I don't care, stay in the hobby or get out? just stop whining.

While your out there yelling at people . .can you please say something to my neighbor about his barking dog . .:rolleyes2:

Hurricane $159 or £147 released in Oct 2009
Typhoon $369 or £362.95 in July 2011

USA 43% rise in 20 months
US 40% rise in 20 months

the Hurricane was the first to be released, the prices above tell a story.
Is the Typhoon worth 40% more than the Hurricane, it is bigger and has rockets, but is this worth it? I have no problem with making a profit, i have too, but I think they will be putting a lot of collector off buying.

I also think that K & C are going through a change and are trying to reposition the brand as a quality product, therefore they are cutting production and increasing prices to re-enforce the quality and rareness of the brand.

cannot blame them but collectors pay the price.

I for one would hate to see a reduction of monthly releases. I'm not happy about the rise in prices but I would rather absorb the price increase than see a reduction in output. K&Cs voluminous output is one of the things I love most about the company.

Hurricane $159 or £147 released in Oct 2009
Typhoon $369 or £362.95 in July 2011

USA 43% rise in 20 months
US 40% rise in 20 months

the Hurricane was the first to be released, the prices above tell a story.
Is the Typhoon worth 40% more than the Hurricane, it is bigger and has rockets, but is this worth it? I have no problem with making a profit, i have too, but I think they will be putting a lot of collector off buying.

I also think that K & C are going through a change and are trying to reposition the brand as a quality product, therefore they are cutting production and increasing prices to re-enforce the quality and rareness of the brand.

cannot blame them but collectors pay the price.

Thus the Title of the Thread: "A reality check"....The Reality is that "Buyers will Decide" in the end wether a product is worth it:rolleyes2:.....It's ultimately up to the consumer who will determine when "enough is enough".:wink2:.....Most Buyers have limits and that limit may have been "exceeded" in a big way.....Also quality cannot be a manufacturered illusion......it must be plainly evident to warrant the cost....Time will tell

What can i say but sorry i cant afford the most wanted plane i have been looking forward to since the poly planes came out
I really wont this plane i am even thinking of selling my holy grail [ arnhem medic jeep to get it ]:(
Scott

At one time "General Motors" had one of the most successful business models in the world. Ever hear the expression "What have you done for me lately"

I have found that those who are most able to pay a price increase, and complain the most are usually the ones least effected by it.

Last edited:
What can i say but sorry i cant afford the most wanted plane i have been looking forward to since the poly planes came out
I really wont this plane i am even thinking of selling my holy grail [ arnhem medic jeep to get it ]:(
Scott

Don't do it mate, if you really like that Jeep. You will regret it. Maybe Tony (or your dealer) can do some sort of installment plan.

Cheers,

This price increase frankly scares me. The Bulge, my line, has yet to be fully impacted, but I fear what I'll see this winter. A 30% increase in figure prices is ridiculous in my opinion, I know commodity prices have increased, but the biggest input into a Toy Soldier seems to the labor. I haven't seen anything on the increase in Chinese labor costs aside from Andy's statement. This isn't exactly the market that I would expect to see a 30% increase in a collectable toy.

More than the price increase is the notion that I'm being nickel and dimed. For instance, the fact that the Priest doesn't come with the necessary crew to be properly displayed bringing the actual price up to essentially $300. Then comes the quote, "Two very useful artillery gunners to help man the 'Priest'," so why weren't they included with the set? It's like the airlines charging for bags as a roundabout way of increasing prices, but in case of K&C AFVs it appears both the "ticket price" and "fees" are being increased.

I haven't even been effected by the price increase as of yet, but I'm already begging to become disillusioned. I'm not going to continue collecting if I can only afford to purchase a piece here or there, let's hope the prices don't continue this absurd trend upward.

Don't do it mate, if you really like that Jeep. You will regret it. Maybe Tony (or your dealer) can do some sort of installment plan.

Cheers,

I know what you mean mate i did it before with early flak 88mm and regreted it
Imay sell some early ws sets instead
Ireally wont this plane no disrespect to mmrocks or Andy ^&grin
Best regards Scott

I know I may get ridiculed for posting this, but I'm not going to spend $369 for a 1/30 scale aircraft no matter what it's made of. The real reality check for me on this issue of $369 for a 1/30 scale Typhoon is... I have lots of 1/32 scale aircraft that look good with K&C figures, plus they all have sliding canopies, rolling wheels, removable pilots, spinning props, and some even have movable rudders and flaps, removable/interchangable bombs/rockets/fuel tanks/etc., and the Corsair even has foldable wings as if it's on a carrier. I spent probably between $15 - $65 for each one (depending on when I bought them, at a store or on ebay etc.), so the average costs would be around $40 each. So at around $40 apiece, I can have nine 21st Century planes, or one K&C Typhoon. That kind of puts it in perspective for me. This is only my opinion of course.

From what I have seen of the K&C A/C details I think the $40 versions you display have a much greater detail. Especially for the cost ratio comparison. As the brand gets larger and well know, the demand gets greater. Since K&C have sold so well and have thier followers, they will inevitably incrementally raise thier prices. More profit margin for the bosses. Its like a VW, Audi & Porsche comparison. VW/Audi started the Porsche. Now VW is the every day and the Porsche is for the upper management.

Up to now is successful. Continuance along the same course of action will negate any previous success. The loss of more and more customers to other businesses will encourage a raise in prices by the original business to offset the loss in sales. Sales costs rise, less and less is bought. Most will move on to other business options in order to retain some cash at home for more items.

Up to now is successful. Continuance along the same course of action will negate any previous success. The loss of more and more customers to other businesses will encourage a raise in prices by the original business to offset the loss in sales. Sales costs rise, less and less is bought. Most will move on to other business options in order to retain some cash at home for more items.

Excellent Post....Now that my friends is REALITY.

Thompyt's post, for any business, let alone this one, doesn't strike me as correct. If you are losing customers, the way to retain them and attract others is to lower prices, not raise them. It doesn't make financial sense to raise prices as you will not retain those customers. You will lower prices but in the process you will eventually hurt yourself as you start to eat into the muscle, as it were, of your company.

Lowering prices is not easy if spiraling cost of labor and raw materials are out of your control. Even tougher to lower prices and take a lose just to attract new buyers. The facts are that all hobbies are getting more and more expensive. And less of a priority when the price of basic necessities keeps going up as well.

In my business I have seen the price of action figures more than double in the last twelve years. For a loose rifle that I use to charge 3.95 for I now need to get 9.95.

Is any of this a greedy conspiracy thought up by the good folks at King & Country, of course not. But how much people are willing to pay for figures if the price keeps rising at this pace ? The camels back is breaking.

Lowering prices is not easy if spiraling cost of labor and raw materials are out of your control. Even tougher to lower prices and take a lose just to attract new buyers. The facts are that all hobbies are getting more and more expensive. And less of a priority when the price of basic necessities keeps going up as well.

In my business I have seen the price of action figures more than double in the last twelve years. For a loose rifle that I use to charge 3.95 for I now need to get 9.95.

Is any of this a greedy conspiracy thought up by the good folks at King & Country, of course not. But how much people are willing to pay for figures if the price keeps rising at this pace ? The camels back is breaking.

I think what most people probably wonder is why just a short time ago the Hurricane and the P-51B cost $159, and then the Spitfire costs $185, and then the BF109 costs $189, then the FW190 costs $199, then the ME262 costs $239, then the P-47 cost $259, and now the Typhoon costs $369. The jump from the P-47 (which is a bigger plane than a Typhoon) of $110 is what's surprising. I think that is a legitimate concern.

Thompyt's post, for any business, let alone this one, doesn't strike me as correct. If you are losing customers, the way to retain them and attract others is to lower prices, not raise them. It doesn't make financial sense to raise prices as you will not retain those customers. You will lower prices but in the process you will eventually hurt yourself as you start to eat into the muscle, as it were, of your company.

I agree on your train of thought, but will still stand by what I stated. Your statement is to retain customers. Mine is based on continuance of the current marketing strategy. Either direction is correct in the manner in which a business decides to operate. You either eat the costs in the long run, or in the short run. With the lowering of costs and coming closer to the "at cost" level, may get the older customers back. Thus more income for the business. K&C may be testing the waters per se to maximize profit. Of which could be used for more R&D. Or they are seeing how far they can go. With the consensus on the Typhoon, I believe they may have surpassed the boundary and will have to back down a little. A happy customer is a returning customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back