ACW - Prelude to the Peach Orchard (1 Viewer)

mestell

Lieutenant Colonel
In these photos I have combined WB #DISP10 "The Chosen Gound Display Base" with a tree lined dirt road shelf diorama base. Both were made by Hudson & Allen as well as the background photograph of Gettysburg . . . . . . . . .
:) Mike

PRELUDE TO THE PEACH ORCHARD
4:30 P.M., July 2nd, 1863 Gettysburg, PA
Kershaw's South Carolina Brigade
McClaw's Division
Longstreet's 1st Corp
Cabell's Artillery Battalion
Late in the afternoon of July 2, Kershaw's South Carolina brigade was deployed to the south of Millerstown Road in Biesecker's Woods. They were supported by Colonel Henry Cabell's 18-gun artillery battalion postioned at the edge of the woods, parallel to Kershaw's line of attack, and about 700 yards from the Peach Orchard. General Longstreet gave orders directly to Kershaw to advance the brigade and to attack the enemy in the Peach Orchard. He was to commence his attack when he heard the signal from Cabell's artillery battalion, three individual guns firing sequentially.

The signal has been given and the South Carolina brigade is starting their advance. In these photos, the 3rd South Carolina Battalion is moving around a stone wall and through a gun section of Captain Basil C. Manly's Company A, 1st North Carolina Artillery, as they start their advance on the Peach Orchard.

PICT0002-17.jpg

PICT0004-7.jpg

PICT0007-4.jpg

PICT0009-1.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

As a side not, this week I have been using the following three books, all written by Bradley M. Gottfried, as reference material for my story lines to my photos:

Brigades of Gettysburg, The Union and Confederate Brigades at the Battle of Gettysburg ISBN: 0-306-81175-8
The Maps of Gettysburg, An Atlas of the Gettysburg Campaign, June 3-July 13, 1863 ISBN-13: 978-1-932714-82-1
The Artillery of Gettysburg ISBN-13: 978-1-58182-623-4

Another great way to start the day Mike, your stories and photos really are top notch. Looking forward to the next installment.

For some reason, I think that i like this diorama better than any of the others. I have tried to figure out why, but have not completely figured it out yet. Again, great work!!!

Thanks Scott and Jeremie. I really liked this series of photos too Jeremie - perhaps because there is more action to look at, or perhaps there is more depth to the photos . . . .

Very nice Mike. The backgrounds with your civil war soldiers look great. Have a nice weekend. :)

Very nice Mike. The backgrounds with your civil war soldiers look great. Have a nice weekend. :)

Thank you Russell, glad you enjoyed it. I am looking forward to my weekend - going to go see the Broadway play "Wicked" with my daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren.

I must say that the dioramas on this forum seem to be getting more and more sophisticated with the latest ground mats, accessories and the excellent backgrounds. This one is a perfect example! :) Great that more of this stuff is coming out to complement the figures. :cool:

Been 20 hours on the road back to Arizona and was in severe need of a ACW fix......Mike keep up the wicked work.....really entertaining dio.. cant wait to see what is next...only 4 more hours of driving........

For some reason, I think that i like this diorama better than any of the others. I have tried to figure out why, but have not completely figured it out yet. Again, great work!!!

Could be the great background! Very nicely tied together.

Thanks again to all; Michael, Mitch, History for the Ages, Jake, rharry, and KV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back