ACW063-ACW069 Union Civil War Artillery Pre-Order!!! (1 Viewer)

And me as well. My short term goal is to finish getting all of the 55th NC.

And me as well. My short term goal is to finish getting all of the 55th NC.

Mine will be the 13th AL. I plan on getting a few of the 55th to go along as well such as the officers.

Another nicely sculpted and painted figure offerings from FL. Its nice that FL has offered the gun crew figures separately so that the collector can decide what "gun action" he wants to portray. What I mean by this is; ACW064 (Gunner) and ACW068 (gun position #3) are aiming the gun. ACW066 (gun position #1) is returning the gun to battery after it has been fired. ACW065 (gun position #2), and ACW067a & b (gun position #1) are loading the gun. These are all three distinct & separate steps in operating the gun and would have never been done simultaneously. Hopefully FL will offer gun position #4 (figure with friction primer & lanyard) to add to this group.
:smile2: Mike

Mike,
I am glad each figure is being offered separately as well. I believe the normal civil war canon had only four guys working the gun, correct? If so I would just have to two who are aiming the gun and the two who are loading. I would leave ACW066 out of my collection. I do like the Officer as well so I would pick him up.

Another nicely sculpted and painted figure offerings from FL. Its nice that FL has offered the gun crew figures separately so that the collector can decide what "gun action" he wants to portray. What I mean by this is; ACW064 (Gunner) and ACW068 (gun position #3) are aiming the gun. ACW066 (gun position #1) is returning the gun to battery after it has been fired. ACW065 (gun position #2), and ACW067a & b (gun position #1) are loading the gun. These are all three distinct & separate steps in operating the gun and would have never been done simultaneously. Hopefully FL will offer gun position #4 (figure with friction primer & lanyard) to add to this group.

Thanks for this Mike. Initially, I would be more inclined to add the Officer and the loading the gun figures.

Brad

Mike,
I am glad each figure is being offered separately as well. I believe the normal civil war canon had only four guys working the gun, correct? If so I would just have to two who are aiming the gun and the two who are loading. I would leave ACW066 out of my collection. I do like the Officer as well so I would pick him up.

Thanks for this Mike. Initially, I would be more inclined to add the Officer and the loading the gun figures.

Brad

Lo and Brad; here is a diagram of the positions of a Civil War gun crew. Although this depicts a Union gun crew, the Confederates used the same positions if man powere allowed it.

Gun Crew Positions.gif

As you can see, not counting officers, there were as many as 8 men manning a gun. Each had a specific duty in the operation of the gun during each phase of aiming, loading, firing, and returning to battery. The gun NCO was the Gunner (G) who was usually a Sgt or a Corporal. All others would have been privates with the exception of perhaps another Corporal (only NCO's and officers would have red stripes on their trousers, and only if they had them supplied to them).

This diagram shows the spacing that was recommended between each gun for safety.

IMG-2.jpg

As you can see from this diagram there was a huge amount of space reccommended for safely fielding a typical Union 6-gun battery for action. Obviously battle conditions dictated this more often than not. Hope this helps . . .

That's good stuff Mike. I was reading the same basic information in Adkin's book Gettysburg this afternoon.

Noah

Thanks Mike! I now most civil war canon sets are sold with four figures. I guess the four I stated earlier would work the best for me if I decide to ever purchase First Legion's set.

Thought you might be interested in some photos of the AeroArt Union artillery set that I took last night.

Artillery 4.JPG

Artillery 3.JPG

Artillery 2.JPG

Artillery 1.JPG

I have not heard of that company before. Do they produce many civil war products? They look like they would go very nicely with FL.

Aero Art makes or has made Russian figures. I'm sure you must have seen them at shows. They are a major player in the market for Russian figures.

They made a series of Civil War Generals, most of which I have. They also made other Civil War figures in different poses. If you on eBay and put in St. Petersburg you will probably see a couple.

Brad

Yes and no. AeroArt and Figarti entered into a partnership called Marco Polo where AeroArt designs the sculpts and Figarti does the painting. This is done to save on costs as Russian painting is very expensive. The sculpts from the AeroArt Civil War series is the same as the ones painted by Figarti but the quality of the painting is not nearly as good as the original AeroArt series.

Thought you might be interested in some photos of the AeroArt Union artillery set that I took last night.

View attachment 112852

View attachment 112855

View attachment 112854

View attachment 112853

Hi Brad ,
Thats a very nice set , I have a few of the older AeroArt ACW sets as well and find the new First Legion sets well you know :redface2: I don't wanna say it Matt will just raise the prices again ^&grin . Thanks for sharing... that Background looks very similar to the fields of PA very nicely done . Regards Gebhard

I will be adding some of these figs to my artillery collection. THe officer looks great. That said, I think the sgt fig should really be a gun corporal and there are too many side arms. But these are welcome additions to the long arm of the army. Chris

Maybe matt will respond to this one as none of us have held the actual figures. Are the sponge/rammers reversable on the figures? I ask because the figure in the group photo appears to be using the rammer end of the tool, but in the individual figure images, the sponge is being used. Could be an important point in setting up to crew to depict a particular point in the firing/loading sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back