Alamo diorama build (2 Viewers)

Here is some vegetation that I painted up for the diorama. I used pigments on the bottom of the catus to simulate dust at the bottom.

2574048469_72f5cfe120.jpg

I made a floor for the chapel so the Texans can stand on and painted it even though you won't be able to see it once its all down.

2576065662_89f29f25fc.jpg

Good luck and remember the ALAMO!
I know it's going to be a fantastic piece of artwork.
Nick

It's a great pleasure to see a "Master" at work.
Looks very promising so far.
Thanks for posting this and sharing ideas.

I put the background up which is just blue paper with some clouds that I airbrushed on.

2578095571_4eb3d4e617.jpg

I've finished the palisade wall which consists of two thickness of wooden dowels that I cut around 3 inches each, sharpen the tips with a knife, beat each individual dowel to give it a worn texture and then used a dark brown wash to age them.

2582196412_c527d3b652.jpg

2581367171_1b0e89ca30.jpg

Alex, you are a machine! Nice work. Like the cabinets too. I have to spend more time in school. Dio building time will be minimal in the forseeable future for me. Do appreciate your work.

Alex
Outstanding work, am watching with interest as I am currently compiling figures/buildings/walls and other accoutrements to also come up with an Alamo scenario perhaps just a little bigger than your display by including most of the South Wall as far as the Gun Lunette and Bowies room/kitchens.

The problem I may have is that the chapel facade will almost dictate the scale of the finished dio, only way out of it will be to extend the walls on either side. Am still struggling with that and may have to revert to a little artistic license so that I have enough room to display a mix of K&C & Conte figures currently standing at about 100.

For the palisade I was thinking of using the pair of JJ Stockade walls which I bought for the FIW dios but never used. The gun ramp I have made using Starbuck coffee paddles and dowelling. I did purchase that book I mentioned to you back away The Illustrated Alamo by Mark Lemon who built and photographed a 1/48 scale of the whole mission, which gives you the best idea of what the Alamo looked like in 1836 and has to be the Holy Grail for any Alamo dio builder.

Am also contemplating building the whole Alamo overtime but in modular form keeping it as an ongoing project as it could be quite a unique display for this side of the pond.

Reb

Alex this will be a great one, anxious to see the final result, the same for your Reb looking forward to those dioramas.

Cheers

Alex
Outstanding work, am watching with interest as I am currently compiling figures/buildings/walls and other accoutrements to also come up with an Alamo scenario perhaps just a little bigger than your display by including most of the South Wall as far as the Gun Lunette and Bowies room/kitchens.

The problem I may have is that the chapel facade will almost dictate the scale of the finished dio, only way out of it will be to extend the walls on either side. Am still struggling with that and may have to revert to a little artistic license so that I have enough room to display a mix of K&C & Conte figures currently standing at about 100.

For the palisade I was thinking of using the pair of JJ Stockade walls which I bought for the FIW dios but never used. The gun ramp I have made using Starbuck coffee paddles and dowelling. I did purchase that book I mentioned to you back away The Illustrated Alamo by Mark Lemon who built and photographed a 1/48 scale of the whole mission, which gives you the best idea of what the Alamo looked like in 1836 and has to be the Holy Grail for any Alamo dio builder.

Am also contemplating building the whole Alamo overtime but in modular form keeping it as an ongoing project as it could be quite a unique display for this side of the pond.

Reb

Thank you for the book recommendation it has been very helpful.

Thanks guys for the compliments.

I've finished the palisade wall which consists of two thickness of wooden dowels that I cut around 3 inches each, sharpen the tips with a knife, beat each individual dowel to give it a worn texture and then used a dark brown wash to age them.

2582196412_c527d3b652.jpg

2581367171_1b0e89ca30.jpg

Wow!...this is coming along, your work should inspire us all to have a go. :)

Jeff

Here is the connecting wall without and with paint. Now that its painted I will weather it to give it a more realistic look. We'll see how that turns out.

2588982784_20f88ca643.jpg

2588982872_3f6652cde6.jpg

Here the latest update with the ground work for the scene. I have half of it laid out which is just sand and very small gravel. Its held down with water down glue and then I'll paint it which it will hold it in place. Its not much and my daughter says the sand and gravel looks like puke. It should look a lot better painted.

2598172707_9a1e56368f.jpg

Here is the groundwork with some paint on it. I might add a little bit of green grass.

2599541196_a78fdbd8ce.jpg

2599541264_19c93c46f1.jpg

2598709803_9a65cd0eaf_o.jpg

Looking good Alex, looking very good.
The chicken needs a bit of weathering mind....;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back