Alma Figures Crimean War - Gloss and Matt (5 Viewers)

aujj65

Colonel
This is a very special painting project for me as Michel (Mardasson on the forum) is the proud new owner of Alma Figures and has approached me to paint a few figures to be used as Master Painted Samples. This is a first for me and I feel very privileged to be asked to undertake such a task. Thanks Michel.

The figures in question are four British Guardsmen two Highland Officers and two Highlanders.

These will be painted to represent:

· 42nd Highlanders
· 93rd Highlanders

· Grenadier Guards
· Scots Fusiliers Guards

As can be seen the kits have multiple parts to enable different figures to be produced.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 01.jpg
    alma 01.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 3,363
  • alma 02.jpg
    alma 02.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 3,403
Re: Alma Figures Crimean War - Master Painted Samples

Regarding the heads and backpacks, I will be using different elements on the figures.
As can be seen the Guardsmen have a choice of three ammo pouches! The ammo pouch for the Grenadier Guards should have the one with the crown and the Scot Fusilier Guards the one with the star, see if I can remember this when it comes to assembling these.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 03.jpg
    alma 03.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,075
  • alma 04.jpg
    alma 04.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,025
  • alma 05.jpg
    alma 05.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,096

I have to say that these castings must rank amongst the best in sculpting quality and finish. There is hardly any flash to remove before assembly.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 06.jpg
    alma 06.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 989
  • alma 07.jpg
    alma 07.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,056
  • alma 08.jpg
    alma 08.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 960

Regarding the heads and backpacks, I will be using different elements on the figures.
As can be seen the Guardsmen have a choice of three ammo pouches! The ammo pouch for the Grenadier Guards should have the one with the crown and the Scot Fusilier Guards the one with the star, see if I can remember this when it comes to assembling these.

Jeff

Congrats on you "assignment" Jeff! I know they picked the right man for the job.. Will look forward to seeing your work.

Jim

Congrats on you "assignment" Jeff! I know they picked the right man for the job.. Will look forward to seeing your work.

Jim

Have to agree 100% also Jeff. Looks like it's going to be another fascinating thread !! :D

Another exciting project -- can't wait to watch as you do the work.

Dick

Same here.

Congrats Jeff! These are some very detailed castings and I like that you have several options.

Congratulations Jeff,
this is a project to be proud of and I am looking forward to watch it, especially since Highlanders are involved.
So far I never heard of Alma figures but the castings look terrific.
Konrad

Thanks Guys, I just hope that I can do them justice.........after all there isn't any green - apart from the bases :D

Regarding the detailing, I think once they have been undercoated in grey primer this will stand out even more. I am very impressed with these figures and Michel deserves to do well with his new range.

Jeff

Thanks Guys, I just hope that I can do them justice.........after all there isn't any green - apart from the bases :D

Regarding the detailing, I think once they have been undercoated in grey primer this will stand out even more. I am very impressed with these figures and Michel deserves to do well with his new range.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I can vouch for this fact as I've got 3 of the Guards primed and ready to paint as we speak. Now if only I could find a few minutes of daylight to actually paint. :rolleyes:

I am really excited to see your work on these excellent figures and I agree that Michel could not have chosen a better candidate to paint his stuff.

Cheers,
Dave

This is a very special painting project for me as Michel (Mardasson on the forum) is the proud new owner of Alma Figures and has approached me to paint a few figures to be used as Master Painted Samples. This is a first for me and I feel very privileged to be asked to undertake such a task. Thanks Michel.

The figures in question are four British Guardsmen two Highland Officers and two Highlanders.

These will be painted to represent:

· 42nd Highlanders
· 93rd Highlanders

· Grenadier Guards
· Scots Fusiliers Guards

As can be seen the kits have multiple parts to enable different figures to be produced.

Jeff
Those are most impressive looking figures. Congratulations on your commission and I also eagarly look forward to seeing your progress.

Look forward to seeing this project progress Jeff. I remeber seeing the figures whilst Alma Figures had their shop in Portmadog, but resisted at the time. Seeing the castings again has made me regret that decision. Good to see they're in capable hands for a new lease of life.

Simon

When and where are these going to be available and what else do they have?

When and where are these going to be available and what else do they have?

Dear Bill,

Thanks for your interest.
The range currently includes soldiers of the following armies/troops:
- British : Guards, Highanders, Line Infantry, Rifles
- French : Zouaves, Light Infantry
- Russian : Infantry and Artillery
- Turk : Line Infantry
Most of the kits come with a variation of heads, equipments, arms... this allows a huge number of variation in the figures.
And I have plans to extend the range but its too soon to say more about that.

Some of the kits are already available. For the others, I'm in the process of making some new casting made by a renowned company.

I've started to post some pictures of the castings in one album. I will complete it in the following days and weeks.

If you'd like more information, please send me a mail.

Regards,

Michel

I want to thank Jeff for having accepted this paint work.
You'll believe me if I say that I'm more impatient than anyone to see the soldiers coming to life :)
Michel

Hi Michel very nice castings I bet they would paint up well in Matte it seems a shame to paint in gloss and not show off the fantastic detail
Regards John

Michel,

I had a bit of time today to assemble a couple of figures. Started on the Highlanders and there was next to nothing flash wise to remove and everything went together first time, a wipe of filler in the arm joints is all that will be required.

We (you, I, the forum members, perhaps we should have a poll? :eek: :D) need to decide which type of head and backpack will go with which body.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 09.jpg
    alma 09.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 314
  • alma 10.jpg
    alma 10.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 321

Yo Jeff another POLL:eek: lol. Looking at Simkins sketches of the Highlanders Crimean period, they all seem to be wearing the square back pack, and most had beards (good men). Whoever invented the razor for shaving should be Hung Drawn & Quartered, I hate it as much as horses on plates:rolleyes: lol. Whoever he was should have tried getting up at first light in a German forest and getting shaved in cold water, man it was a gruller, now I just run the old beard trimmer over once a week and look as cool as you like lol. So YES for the Beards lol.
Bernard.

Looking at Simkins sketches of the Highlanders Crimean period, they all seem to be wearing the square back pack, and most had beards
Bernard.

Thanks Bernard, I agree, but before I weld ( :D ) those in place I would like to have Michel's input as well as others.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back