Alma Figures Crimean War - Gloss and Matt (1 Viewer)

Re: Alma Figures Crimean War - Master Painted Samples

Hey Jeff, I'd go with the blanket and great coat pack as the troops all left their knapsacks on board ship while embarking at Calamita Bay. Also would go with bearded given the option. :)

Cheers,
Dave

I'll go along with Bernard's suggestion. Just seems fitting the highlanders have a beard.

Most of the Crimean war photos I have seen show a scruffy and dirty bunch of troops. The parade ground polish wore off quickly - definitely need beards

Hi Jeff,
I'm mixed about the beards question. The sculpted beards of the figures seems even much too small compared to what you can see on photographs of that period... so that would go for beards. On the other hand there are other documents that shows shaven men. I would only mention the emblematic Gibb's painting The thin Red Line (but that's only a painting)
So I would advise one of each
For the backpacks I would also take the ones with blankets and not the square ones.
Cheers, Michel

Last edited:

Dear Bill,

Thanks for your interest.
The range currently includes soldiers of the following armies/troops:
- British : Guards, Highanders, Line Infantry, Rifles
- French : Zouaves, Light Infantry
- Russian : Infantry and Artillery
- Turk : Line Infantry
If you'd like more information, please send me a mail.

Regards,

Michel
Sent you a PM on this.

Having asked both Jeff and Michel's permission first, and receiving both of their blessings (thank you gents) I thought I'd add a simultaneous account of my efforts to paint some of these excellent figures that I acquired from Michel some time ago. They've been assembled and primed and are ready for some paint....now I just need some free time. I will be attempting to paint 3 of the British Foot Guard figures and agree the castings are excellent and assembled very easily. I will be using a matte finish on these fellows. I apologize in advance if the results are not so great.

Attachments

• ebay 424 (Small).jpg
    ebay 424 (Small).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 264
  • ebay 425 (Small).jpg
    ebay 425 (Small).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 264

Very nice, Mr. Dave,
those castings are wonderful and all of us here get a "twofer" to watch. Not only that but one will be in glossy and one will be in matte.
This will be the thread to watch in the coming weeks.
Konrad

Dave,

They look even better undercoated. I have to get my finger out and finish assembling mine. Nice to see a variety of positions as well. Will be interesting to see the gloss and matt together.

Jeff

Great details on these guys which makes the painting go pretty smoothly so far. Yes, some paint has been applied so I am hoping to have some progress photos up in the next day or two. Thanks again for allowing me to jump on board, Jeff. :)

I'd likely be painting right now if I wasn't pulling my obligatory one weekend per month work shift today. :(

Stay tuned......

Great details on these guys which makes the painting go pretty smoothly so far. Yes, some paint has been applied so I am hoping to have some progress photos up in the next day or two. Thanks again for allowing me to jump on board, Jeff. :)

I'd likely be painting right now if I wasn't pulling my obligatory one weekend per month work shift today. :(

Stay tuned......

Dave, no problem, we can mix n' match :D

I have asked Brad to change the thread title (which I see he has, thanks Brad) to reflect this.

I must get my super glue out!

Jeff

I must get my super glue out!

Jeff

Out it came and here are the results so far, bad light stopped play in the conservatory, but I managed to finish off the two Highlanders and built up the two Officers as shown, but clever design of the parts supplied allows for at least four different figures from the same kit. I hope to assemble the Guardsmen tomorrow and get these undercoated in grey primer, weather permitting.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 11.jpg
    alma 11.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 357
  • alma 12.jpg
    alma 12.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 352
  • alma 13.jpg
    alma 13.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 367
  • alma 14.jpg
    alma 14.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 335
Paint has been sploshed. :D

Lots of little details on these fellows, but will slowly chip away at them. It's been a while since my plastic kit building/painting years and have never painted metal before now, so its a bit of an adventure. Decided to use my extensive inventory of Tamiya acrylics rather than invest in a bunch of new stock too. So, just getting started and promise more updates as the work progresses.

MD

Attachments

• ebay 426 (Small).jpg
    ebay 426 (Small).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 260
Paint has been sploshed. :D

Lots of little details on these fellows, but will slowly chip away at them. It's been a while since my plastic kit building/painting years and have never painted metal before now, so its a bit of an adventure. Decided to use my extensive inventory of Tamiya acrylics rather than invest in a bunch of new stock too. So, just getting started and promise more updates as the work progresses.

MD

Dave,

Excellent start! BUT….(I don't like to be critical :p) the most important unwritten rule of these painting threads is to start with a statement of how much GREEN paint is to be used! :D:D:D I’m sorry :eek: but it must be the paint fumes, just been outside undercoating the Highlanders. LOL.

:):):)

Jeff

Dave,

Excellent start! BUT….(I don't like to be critical :p) the most important unwritten rule of these painting threads is to start with a statement of how much GREEN paint is to be used! :D:D:D I’m sorry :eek: but it must be the paint fumes, just been outside undercoating the Highlanders. LOL.

:):):)

Jeff

Perhaps Dave didn't make that statement because he has not got any green paint, like the rest of us.....:D;)

Oh, yeah, green, let's see......hmmmmm......y'know I don't have any green paint anywhere, so is this going to be problematic? :rolleyes:

MD

Oh, yeah, green, let's see......hmmmmm......y'know I don't have any green paint anywhere, so is this going to be problematic? :rolleyes:

MD

I sincerely hope not ;), perhaps you could mix some from Red and Silver :D

Sorry, enough of this..............

The weather just about permitted and so here we have the Highlanders undercoated in grey primer. It's at this point that you realise just how detailed these castings are and as Dave said "Lots of little details".

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 15.jpg
    alma 15.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 269
  • alma 16.jpg
    alma 16.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 273
  • alma 17.jpg
    alma 17.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 272
I'm afraid I'll be undercoating my next batch in a snow bank as we've had a harsh and sudden end to the mild Fall weather up here.

These are going to be fun to watch, Jeff, but.....I'm not sure how much green you'll be using on these guys. Maybe you should have started with the Rifle Bde. figures. :D

Have to travel to Mother in Law's house for the afternoon, so off the painting until later, but will be starting in on the next layer of straps and belts and so on next I think.

D

Man oh man,
these castings are beautiful. Think we're in for a treat here.
Dave and Jeff, hope it is going to be fun and you enjoy painting them. I know I will enjoy watching you :)
Konrad

Thanks for the shout, Konrad. Having watched his work before, I am sure Jeff will not disappoint. I just hope I can say the same for my efforts as I'm moving into some of the critical bits and pieces now.

Dave

I bet you all thought I had done a runner! :D Work and poor light has meant it has taken to today to start assembling the Guardsmen. I thought a photo of work in progress might help. I hope to finish these and undercoat them tomorrow.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 18.jpg
    alma 18.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 250

Users who are viewing this thread

Back