Alma Figures Crimean War - Gloss and Matt (4 Viewers)

Another update.......I managed to paint the water bottles and haversacks earlier this afternoon before the daylight disappeared at around 2.30pm! this is fast becoming a frustration :mad: So hopefully a couple of photo's either tomorrow or Sunday at the latest.

Jeff

Jeff,

If you get the electricity reconnected, you could turn on one of them there modern light things, or at the very least, light a candle. ;):p

Jeff,

If you get the electricity reconnected, you could turn on one of them there modern light things, or at the very least, light a candle. ;):p

Oh..a candle? should have thought about that :rolleyes::p:D

Nowadays I only paint using natural daylight, I find it better for the old eyes.

Jeff

Always a pleasure to view your work Jeff, and these are no exception. Great stuff !!

Thanks Scott, at the moment they look a bit tatty, but it won't be long (famous last words!) before they begin to "Come together" :)

Jeff

Apart from an absense of green, they're coming along nicely Jeff.

Looking good there Jeff. Finally sat down to some more painting today myself and hoping to post some photo updates in the next day or so. I want to get these first batch done so I can order a few more.

MD

Looking good there Jeff. Finally sat down to some more painting today myself and hoping to post some photo updates in the next day or so. I want to get these first batch done so I can order a few more.

MD

Hi Dave, me too! :)

I take it you like your figures then? :rolleyes: :D.........I think you need to get at least a Brigade of Guards :eek:.

Jeff

Hi Dave, me too! :)

I take it you like your figures then? :rolleyes: :D.........I think you need to get at least a Brigade of Guards :eek:.

Jeff

I think I'll start with a mere Company of Guards. :rolleyes:

Yes, I do like them very much. Slow going with the paint but I am enjoying it.....it is certainly more economical than purchasing more new finished figures. (which I'd love to do too) Hoping to get some more painting done today.

Dave

I will be posting some photo's of the progress so far later today! :)

Jeff

Jeff

You're not going to put festive white trim around the red collar and cuffs are you? :)

Looking forward to the pics mate.

Jeff

Here are the Guards so far, the Highlanders are at the same stage, just need abit of touching up before I post those.

The next stage will be concentrating on the white crossbelts etc, things will start to look better then :eek:

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 30.jpg
    alma 30.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 226
  • alma 31.jpg
    alma 31.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 226
  • alma 32.jpg
    alma 32.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 227
  • alma 33.jpg
    alma 33.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 220
  • alma 34.jpg
    alma 34.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 222
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the update.
They are coming to life !!!!
Maybe it is already in some post but could you tell us how you order the colours ?
As afirst time painter I always tought you had to paint the flesh first...
Michel

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the update.
Maybe it is already in some post but could you tell us how you order the colours ?
Michel

Michel,

I hope to get a few more hours painting done over the next few days. Regarding the order of colours - There is no fixed order of painting, If you look at the other painting threads that I have done over the last year you will see that I prefer to paint the main colours first and then the flesh is somewhere in the middle. I know some paint the flesh first as it gives "Character" to the figure but I find it means the face and hands usually end up being repainted :eek:

Hope you had a great Christmas.

Regards

Jeff

Michel,

I hope to get a few more hours painting done over the next few days. Regarding the order of colours - There is no fixed order of painting, If you look at the other painting threads that I have done over the last year you will see that I prefer to paint the main colours first and then the flesh is somewhere in the middle. I know some paint the flesh first as it gives "Character" to the figure but I find it means the face and hands usually end up being repainted :eek:

Hope you had a great Christmas.

Regards

Jeff

I usually work inside out, so to speak. Starting with the flesh, any exposed under clothing, outer clothing, webbing and equipment.

That said, I've used Jeffs 'big block' method when painting in gloss enamel, and will continue to use this for glossies, as I find I don't have quite as much control over the gloss enamel, as I do when using matt acryllics.
The other reason for painting flesh first for matt, is I like to get all the shadows and highlights on the flesh first, a challange I don't have with the gloss look.

Simon

That said, I've used Jeffs 'big block' method when painting in gloss enamel
Simon

This is the method that I used back in my wargaming days when I used to paint hundreds of 25mm figures and it's just stuck with me. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what order you paint in as long as your happy with the final result.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the update.
Michel

Michel,

Due to time restraints at this time of year (daylight!) I have decided to crack on with the Guards and get them completed so we can all see the true extent of the detail on these marvellous figures, before I continue with the Highlanders. So the rifles and the flesh colour of the hands and faces have been added today.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 35.jpg
    alma 35.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 194
  • alma 36.jpg
    alma 36.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 196
I have managed a bit more painting over the last couple of days, added the details to the rifles and faces as well as the water bottle strap.

The GG's have the plume painted in white, next the Bearskins will get a couple of coats of black.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 37.jpg
    alma 37.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 163
  • alma 38.jpg
    alma 38.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 163
  • alma 39.jpg
    alma 39.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 161
  • alma 40.jpg
    alma 40.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 162
  • alma 41.jpg
    alma 41.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 161
Wow.....these are looking very nice so far, Jeff. Not much progress here recently I am afraid. Cannot wait to see the rest of your work on these.

Nice detailing Jeff, especially the eyes.
No green eyes for this little troop of figures? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back