Alma Figures Crimean War - Gloss and Matt (3 Viewers)

Nice detailing Jeff, especially the eyes.
No green eyes for this little troop of figures? ;)

Thanks Simon,

I've got to do the white crossbelts and facings yet! :eek:..........this next bit will be time consuming.

Jeff

Great Jeff ! You were right saying that painting the flesh and eyes gives 'character' to the figures.
Michel

Jeff,
Coming along very nicely! Thanks for the sequence of painting also...been an eyeopener for me.
PS-Could you post the arty piece of Bernard's when you are done?
Mike

I'm enjoying your progress on these beautiful figures. The eyes make them more alive! My suggestion is that that they are carrying the 1853 Enfield Rifle and several details can be adjusted. The nose cap and the butt plate were brass, while the sling swivels were iron. I have the replica Enfield that I use for Civil War reenacting as thousands were imported by the US and CSA. Here's an original that is being restored.....

100_1257.jpg

"British Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle-musket"

Here's a British Crimean War reenactment unit using the repro...

http://www.thediehards.co.uk/Crimean_War.htm

8.jpg

I hope this is of interest.

Jeff,
Coming along very nicely! Thanks for the sequence of painting also...been an eyeopener for me.
PS-Could you post the arty piece of Bernard's when you are done?
Mike

Cheers Mike :)

Will do, still in the grey primer stage at the moment.

Jeff

Bearskins with their first coat of black tar :eek: well that was what the contents of the tin was like, I will have to get a new tinlet asap.

With reference to Scott's observation regarding the colour of the sling swivels, which were iron, generally in the gloss toy soldier style the ironwork is represented by silver and so to give a bit of contrast I have painted these in brass colour, similar to K&C’s Crimean Highlanders. Butt plate can be brass if Michel agrees that this will match his existing figures.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 42.jpg
    alma 42.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 252
I always view your painting threads and really think your paint work is outstanding. I not a glossy collector, but after seeing your painted figures I am getting pulled over.

I always view your painting threads and really think your paint work is outstanding. I not a glossy collector, but after seeing your painted figures I am getting pulled over.

Thank you :), I don't collect glossy figures either, but I know what you mean about "Turning to the Gloss Side" :D

Cheers.

Jeff

Butt plate can be brass if Michel agrees that this will match his existing figures.

Hi Jeff,
Please do as you think will be the best.
I really like the way they look.
And congratulations for (nearly) bringing new collectors to the 'glossy' family :D
Michel

Hi Jeff,
Please do as you think will be the best.
I really like the way they look.
And congratulations for (nearly) bringing new collectors to the 'glossy' family :D
Michel

Ok Michel, I'll add the brass butt plates as Scott's suggestion. The good thing about this forum is getting others input :).

Jeff

Ok Michel, I'll add the brass butt plates as Scott's suggestion. The good thing about this forum is getting others input :).

Jeff

Well here is my 2 penneth, I think you should repaint the trousers green :p

Great stuff as always it is a pleasure to watch a true artist at work. Loving what you have done with the figures so far.

Scott

Well here is my 2 penneth, I think you should repaint the trousers green :p

Great stuff as always it is a pleasure to watch a true artist at work. Loving what you have done with the figures so far.

Scott

Well I can hardly be held accountable for my actions now! :p:eek::rolleyes::D:D

Thanks as always.

Jeff

I don’t usually show this stage of my painting as I think that it looks a little crappy, but I have been asked before “how many coats of paint do you use to get such a deep gloss white?”………Well I cheat! I undercoat with MATT white first and then a coat of gloss over the top. I have found over the years that this method works for me and that the matt white covers the dark colours a treat, especially red and so here we are…………..

When this has dried I will paint the gloss white and touch up the red tunic.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 43.jpg
    alma 43.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 181
  • alma 44.jpg
    alma 44.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 182
  • alma 45.jpg
    alma 45.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 178
  • alma 46.jpg
    alma 46.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 179
Jeff,
You should go over to the dark side, and start painting matte and collecting gloss. You can start off by keeping these fellas. They are great looking!
Mike

Jeff,
You should go over to the dark side, and start painting matte and collecting gloss. You can start off by keeping these fellas. They are great looking!
Mike

Mike, I've done that years ago, but I'm now in the "arse-about-face" stage of my life :D

Mind you, do you think Michel would mind if I did? ;)

Jeff

Michel,

I thought you might want to see at last a completed Guardsman (all except the base of course). We need to decide on a shade of green and do you want the rocks to be painted in another colour?

I will continue catching up with the other 3 Guardsman to completion stage and then on with the Highlanders.

Hope you like it so far.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 47.jpg
    alma 47.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 158
  • alma 48.jpg
    alma 48.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 159
  • alma 49.jpg
    alma 49.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 158
  • alma 50.jpg
    alma 50.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 160
  • alma 51.jpg
    alma 51.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 161
Jeff,
Really great great job ! Thanks !

I'd like the bases green with a touch of yellow and grey stones as in the attached picture.

Cheers,

Michel

Ps: you should also explain me once why all these jokes about green paint :)

Attachments

• socle.jpg
    socle.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 160
Jeff,
Really great great job ! Thanks !

I'd like the bases green with a touch of yellow and grey stones as in the attached picture.

Cheers,

Michel

Ps: you should also explain me once why all these jokes about green paint :)

Will do, probably in the morning whilst I'm mixing some Deep Bronze green for Bernards field gun.

Simon (Wraith) started all that some while ago I think? :D

Jeff

Will do, probably in the morning whilst I'm mixing some Deep Bronze green for Bernards field gun.

Simon (Wraith) started all that some while ago I think? :D

Jeff

I did not! You started it by buying all of the spare green paint up for Brad's camel. Must be nice to be able to choose a shade of green from a selection of green paints, which no doubt, you keep in your special 'green paint only' cupboard. :rolleyes::D

Jeff,
Figure looks superb. Well painted and enjoyed the ride along.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back