Alma Figures Crimean War - Gloss and Matt (3 Viewers)

Hi,
Me again!
I'm showing my ignorance here, but are the three heads totally interchangeable, what is the difference between them? Would a regiment have worn any one of the headgear when in action? The same with the back packs?

Thanks

Pete

Pete,

have a look at what I painted, and the colour plates on the links below.

They are : Voltigeur, Carabinier & Chasseur, of the Light Infantry

This is a Chasseur a pied

alamfrench.jpg

This weekend I'll give you links to the uniform pages I have scanned, and you can see what its all about.

By the way, the uniform pages will be freely availabe to any collector, for a few months :)

John

OK, Pete,

and anyone else who would like to have the uniforms guides for the French Army in Crimea, here they are:

http://members.upnaway.com/~obees/soldiers/images/Treefrog/French Line Infantry.pdf

http://members.upnaway.com/~obees/soldiers/images/Treefrog/French Chasseur a Pied.pdf

http://members.upnaway.com/~obees/soldiers/images/Treefrog/French Light Infantry.pdf

http://members.upnaway.com/~obees/soldiers/images/Treefrog/French Zouaves.pdf

http://members.upnaway.com/~obees/soldiers/images/Treefrog/French Tirailleurs.pdf

The .PDFs range from .6mb to 1.6mb so shouldn't atke too much to download.

I'll keep them on my website for a couple fo months, so don't link to them, copy the document and put them to ggod use... painting toy soldiers,

John

Hi John,
Thanks a lot for the scans. I really appreciate your posts & help etc.

Hope you don't think I'm pushing my luck here, but is there any information available on the Turks?

Thanks

Pete

Hope you don't think I'm pushing my luck here, but is there any information available on the Turks?

Thanks Pete

Pete,

read post # 739 below ...

underneath the French Uniform Plates there are 4 links to Turkish Uniforms

Enjoy,

John

Hi Pete, thanks :smile2: it's been a while since this thread has had any posts. Somewhere there is a photo showing the comparison between the K&C KGL Nap figures and the Rifle Brigade figures from Alma? Alma are a tad smaller but not much in it.

For uniforms try this link...

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgtitle_tree.cfm?title_id=269277&level=1&tword=

Cheers

Jeff

Hi John,
Thanks a lot for the scans. I really appreciate your posts & help etc.

Thanks

Pete

Pete, try this link.

Jeff

Hi John & Jeff,
Thanks for your help!
I've just placed an order with Michel. I'll keep you updated as I get the figures painted (painting is not my forte) & hopefully share the results next to the K&C Crimean figures!

Thanks again

Pete

Hi,
Thanks for all your help so far!
Has anybody painted any of the Zouaves in matte? Any opinions on them? Any pictures?

Thanks

Pete

When cleaning out in my boxes of castings, in the ALMA box I found another figure, the French Officer !

As I already had one in my collection, and this guy didn't have any spares, such as differnet arms or heads, like many other figures in this series, I decided to do my own conversion.

Its a very simple conversion, as I replaced the kepi head, with a shako head, and so painted him as an officer of Grenadiers.

I hope you like it, and below are images, with the original, both painted in my matte style.

2Alma_Fr1.JPG

2Alma_Fr2.JPG

John

When cleaning out in my boxes of castings, in the ALMA box I found another figure, the French Officer !

As I already had one in my collection, and this guy didn't have any spares, such as differnet arms or heads, like many other figures in this series, I decided to do my own conversion.

Its a very simple conversion, as I replaced the kepi head, with a shako head, and so painted him as an officer of Grenadiers.

I hope you like it, and below are images, with the original, both painted in my matte style.

View attachment 123974

View attachment 123975

John

Very nice John! ^&cool...glad you are keeping this thread alive.

Jeff

Hi,
Does anybody know what colour the French canteens/water bottles would have been? Brown?

Thanks

Pete

Hi,
Does anybody know what colour the French canteens/water bottles would have been? Brown?

Thanks

Pete

Pete,

I painted mine light blue for the Zouarves and a dark brown for my French Infantry....

BUT on checking some uniform sources it states that the canteen was covered witha black cloth and carried with a black leather strap.

So I've painted mine worng !!!

John

I'm looking though my books and the blue gray cloth color covers seem to be how all the Osprey artists are interpreting the color. The Mexican Adventure, Solferio, and the two French, Franco-Prussian War books. I'm know that there are sources on line of actual French kit artifacts but I didn't book mark them. The Russian based French army Crimean War reenactment group doesn't look like it has found repro canteens yet.

Lucky this isn't US CW here. The canteen color scholars would be right here arguing year, depot, and strap color.

I'd like to paint a line of 100 or more of these figures with officers, standards, the works! Nice figures and painting.

Hi.
Can anybody enlighten me? The Alma French Light infantry figures come with three heads; A Shako, a Kepi and another. Can anybody tell me what the third is?

Thanks

Pete

Hi.
Can anybody enlighten me? The Alma French Light infantry figures come with three heads; A Shako, a Kepi and another. Can anybody tell me what the third is?

Thanks

Pete

I just saw the photos a few posts back. Perhaps it's Guard Lt. Infantry and Line Light Infantry

Last edited:
Hi.

Thanks

Pete

Pete,

the 3 heads are:

Shako with cockade, like this Light Infantry soldier
alamfrench.jpg

Shako with Eagle and a Kepi seen below with Line Infantry
fr_light_inf.jpg

You also get a choice of 2 x pompoms for the shakos and a choice of 2 x back packs.

I hope this helps,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back