Alma Figures Crimean War - Gloss and Matt (5 Viewers)

Thanks Fort Stamford!
Do you have any links or sources for the images? The 'Military Uniforms of the 19th Century book looks good. Did I spot a couple of plates from an Osprey publication?
If you have any larger sized pictures please PM me & I will send you my personal email address.

Thanks again!

Pete

Hi,
I've just come across this thread. Excellent painting Jeff, congratulations, they look grrreat (As Tony the Tiger would say)! Until I read the thread I didn't realise that the Alma figures looked so good matt painted .
Does anybody know how these would look compared to the K&C Crimean range? I don't suppose anybody has any comparison photos?

Well done!

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks :smile2: it's been a while since this thread has had any posts. Somewhere there is a photo showing the comparison between the K&C KGL Nap figures and the Rifle Brigade figures from Alma? Alma are a tad smaller but not much in it.

For uniforms try this link...

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgtitle_tree.cfm?title_id=269277&level=1&tword=

Cheers

Jeff

Pete, I'll take a few shots and get them uploaded in a bit. Size wise and in stature, they are very comparable with K&C.
Simon

Some comparison shots:

Left to right: K&C KGL, Alma Rifles, K&C 93rd:

DSC_0092_zps24ea5be6.jpg

L to R: Alma Rifle, K&C 93rd Cat Squealer:

DSC_0094_zpsf6852546.jpg

Alma Rifles:

DSC_0095_zps58d67cba.jpg

The Alma figures are castings I've painted up. Not sure what Michel does in relation to matt figures.

Hope they're useful.
Cheers
Simon

Edit: Must sort that eye out! hadn't noticed until the photo was enlarged{eek3}

Hi,
I've just come across this thread. Excellent painting Jeff, congratulations, they look grrreat (As Tony the Tiger would say)! Until I read the thread I didn't realise that the Alma figures looked so good matt painted .
Does anybody know how these would look compared to the K&C Crimean range? I don't suppose anybody has any comparison photos?

Well done!

Pete

Pete,

I've painted a lot of ALMA figures in matte, and YES, they do fit in with the K&C range.

I only have one K&C highlander, and I'll arrange a photo shoot with an ALMA highlander tomorrow and post that, so you can see then together.

These are more I've painted

BRITISH
brit_crim.jpg

FRENCH
fr_light_inf.jpg

RUSSIAN
rus_flag.jpg

TURKISH
almaturk.jpg

Also I have a lot of uniform details given to me by Mike, who originally had ALMA before selling to Michel, and I can scan/photocopy and send you a copy if you like. Its great for the French uniforms in particular.

Regards,

John

Some comparison shots:

Left to right: K&C KGL, Alma Rifles, K&C 93rd:

DSC_0092_zps24ea5be6.jpg

L to R: Alma Rifle, K&C 93rd Cat Squealer:

DSC_0094_zpsf6852546.jpg

Alma Rifles:

DSC_0095_zps58d67cba.jpg

The Alma figures are castings I've painted up. Not sure what Michel does in relation to matt figures.

Hope they're useful.
Cheers
Simon

Really?...and where did you get that paint from may I ask? :tongue::rolleyes2:^&grin

Jeff

Alma Rifles:

DSC_0095_zps58d67cba.jpg

Hope they're useful.
Cheers
Simon

Oh leave as is, Simon ..... I think it's a very fittin' tribute to the late, great Marty Feldman. :wink2:^&grin

B.

Hi Pete, thanks :smile2: it's been a while since this thread has had any posts. Somewhere there is a photo showing the comparison between the K&C KGL Nap figures and the Rifle Brigade figures from Alma? Alma are a tad smaller but not much in it.

For uniforms try this link...

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgtitle_tree.cfm?title_id=269277&level=1&tword=

Cheers

Jeff

Jeff,

Great painting guide link for our model soldier enthusiasts, and for military history buffs. I've bookmarked it for future research reference.

Charles

Oh leave as is, Simon ..... I think it's a very fittin' tribute to the late, great Marty Feldman. :wink2:^&grin

B.

Err...umm...yeah, got it!
He's literally just received a musket ball in his right eye. This depicts the split second following impact and therefore is entirely realistic representation.

yeah, alright....I'll change it.:wink2:

Pete,

I've painted a lot of ALMA figures in matte, and YES, they do fit in with the K&C range.

I only have one K&C highlander, and I'll arrange a photo shoot with an ALMA highlander tomorrow and post that, so you can see then together.

These are more I've painted

BRITISH
brit_crim.jpg

FRENCH
fr_light_inf.jpg

RUSSIAN
rus_flag.jpg

TURKISH
almaturk.jpg

Also I have a lot of uniform details given to me by Mike, who originally had ALMA before selling to Michel, and I can scan/photocopy and send you a copy if you like. Its great for the French uniforms in particular.

Regards,

John
Hi John,
I'll PM you my email address. I would be grateful if you could scan the uniform details for me please? If its not too much trouble that is.
Great painting by the way.

Thanks for the replies to all my questions..much more than I expected.
I have to admit I didn't realise how good these figures would look in a matt finish, & how well they'd match K&C figures. Naiively I thought they were just 'less detailed' glossy figures that wouldn't paint up well in matt (no offence intended to glossy figures). I will be ordering some soon.

Thanks

Pete

Err...umm...yeah, got it!
He's literally just received a musket ball in his right eye. This depicts the split second following impact and therefore is entirely realistic representation.

yeah, alright....I'll change it.:wink2:

Now don't you go getting all defensive about it, you know I would never mention it if you hadn't brought it up first. Why, what with my old aging eyes I hardly even noticed it .... well maybe just a little, but if it bothers you and it's giving Pete nightmares maybe a wee touch-up is in order. :wink2:^&grin

Cheers :p

B.

Now don't you go getting all defensive about it, you know I would never mention it if you hadn't brought it up first. Why, what with my old aging eyes I hardly even noticed it .... well maybe just a little, but if it bothers you and it's giving Pete nightmares maybe a wee touch-up is in order. :wink2:^&grin

Cheers :p

B.
Yes, I wake up in a cold sweat these days....The EYE...the EYE....!!!!

alma%20293.jpg

Hi,
Me again!
I'm showing my ignorance here, but are the three heads totally interchangeable, what is the difference between them? Would a regiment have worn any one of the headgear when in action? The same with the back packs?

Thanks

Pete

Attachments

• alma%20294.jpg
    alma%20294.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 106

Users who are viewing this thread

Back