Alma Figures Crimean War - Gloss and Matt (3 Viewers)

Was wondering where you were -- I started praying for rain again when I hadn't seen any photos in a while. Great to see you're still progressing.

Dick

Was wondering where you were -- I started praying for rain again when I hadn't seen any photos in a while. Great to see you're still progressing.

Dick

Hi Dick, no we don't want any more rain thank you :p, but a bit more daylight might help :cool:....... finished assembling the Guards but I will have to wait until tomorrow to undercoat them outside and will post a couple of photos then.

Jeff

Here we have the assembled and undercoated Guardsmen, the Grenadier Guards are the two on the right and the other two are the Scot Fusilier Guards. Subtle differences are the lack of plume and the star on the ammo pouch for the SFG’s and the plume on the left of the bearskin and the crown on the pouch for the GG's.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 19.jpg
    alma 19.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 335
  • alma 20.jpg
    alma 20.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 335
  • alma 21.jpg
    alma 21.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 328
  • alma 22.jpg
    alma 22.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 342
I'm a really impressed with the progression of these figures! The detail is incredible. A MASS of these figures would be impressive!
I was looking at artist's impressions of the Battle of Alma and taking into consideration that the artists weren't there, I do know that the heights were steep in some places. Are you going to display these figures on any kind of a modeled slope?

I'm a really impressed with the progression of these figures! The detail is incredible. A MASS of these figures would be impressive!
I was looking at artist's impressions of the Battle of Alma and taking into consideration that the artists weren't there, I do know that the heights were steep in some places. Are you going to display these figures on any kind of a modeled slope?

Hi Scott,

They are impressive aren't they :).........Unfortunately these aren’t mine as I am only painting these as master samples for Michel’s Alma Figures business. I would love to see a mass of these figures marching in line, but that's a lot of painting.

Talking of painting, I hope to start appying basic colours soon.

Jeff

I had to look!! I was wondering about the placement on the figures of the canteen on the right side on the Grenadiers. Roger Fenton did these two photos of Britush soldiers with their gear on in the Crimea and canteens are on the right! The photos are not printed backwards as some period photos are since the locks on the rifles are on the correct side.As I remember, canteens and haversacks were not worn on parade, but issued for campaign. Wearing them for comfort and utility must have something the soldier figured out.

Uniform-Crimean-War-of.jpg

fenton_piling_arms.jpg

These reenactors of the British Army seem to have opted for the left side carry of the canteen as portrayed on your Highlander figures. They also favor the right for the haversacks. (click the link)

http://www.thediehards.co.uk/Crimean_War.htm

http://www.19thfoot.co.uk/uniform.htm

Doing Union reenacting using the same Enfield Rifles that the British had, we found that it's easier to wear canteens on the left over the haversack as shown in CW era photos. Nice to have period photos to go from on these beautiful British figures.

It seems like ages since I started this thread and I haven’t started painting yet. Today would have been a good day to get going with the main colours, no work or DIY jobs that required my immediate attention.

Half the day went past before I knew what was going on!............early snow disappeared to be followed by rain this morning and then a quick visit :rolleyes: to a friend of the wife's and then it was lunchtime already!

Started painting the red after lunch and the daylight all but disappeared to start raining again. I managed to get another figure painted before lack of natural light forced me to give up.

But at least I've started..............:eek:

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 23.jpg
    alma 23.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 278
  • alma 24.jpg
    alma 24.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 273
I have managed to get the base colours on the trousers and kilts at last :eek:...........hopefully you all haven't gone to sleep on this thread and my apologies to Michel for the slowness of the process, but excessive work (mustn’t grumble) and lack of natural light when I have got time to paint means this has delayed things somewhat.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 25.jpg
    alma 25.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 256
  • alma 26.jpg
    alma 26.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 257
Hi Jeff,
Cannot say I'm not impatient but no need for apologies.
Lot of work is something I can understand ;)
Nice to see the progress.
Michel

I've been in the same boat as Jeff lately I guess. Putting in 12-15 hour days including drive time and very little free daylight time to work with so....no painting for a while. :(

I'm hoping to continue where I left off soon, so no worries.

MD

Hi Jeff,
Cannot say I'm not impatient but no need for apologies.
Lot of work is something I can understand ;)
Nice to see the progress.Michel

Michel,

I have managed to spend an hour today painting the pouches, boots and bayonet scabbards..........I need your input on what colour you would like to see the blanket rolls and the greatcoat packs, I have painted the square packs black, how does light grey and dark grey sound? The mess tin has a cover I gather?......what colour would you like this?

Thanks

Jeff

I need your input on what colour you would like to see the blanket rolls and the greatcoat packs, I have painted the square packs black, how does light grey and dark grey sound? The mess tin has a cover I gather?......what colour would you like this?

Hi Jeff,

Light and dark grey will do well!
The mess tin is cover with black cover.
There is a strap on it. It should be black but if you can do something to differenciate it more than black on black that would be great. Loops and closing are brass.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Michel

Hi Jeff,

Light and dark grey will do well!
The mess tin is cover with black cover.
There is a strap on it. It should be black but if you can do something to differenciate it more than black on black that would be great. Loops and closing are brass.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Michel
Michel, thanks for the input, I will try a dark dark grey or a light black.

Thanks

Jeff

A bit more paint here and there.......once all the equipment has had a coat of its respective colours the tunics will have a second coat of red.

The plan then will be to let the red dry thoroughly and concentrate on the kilts.

Jeff

P.S. Bernard, if you are watching your 13Pdr is primed and ready for a liberal coating of deep bronze green.

Attachments

• alma 27.jpg
    alma 27.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 218
  • alma 28.jpg
    alma 28.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 219
  • alma 29.jpg
    alma 29.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 218
A bit more paint here and there.......once all the equipment has had a coat of its respective colours the tunics will have a second coat of red.

The plan then will be to let the red dry thoroughly and concentrate on the kilts.

Jeff

P.S. Bernard, if you are watching your 13Pdr is primed and ready for a liberal coating of deep bronze green.

Yo Master painter, excuse my ignorance, you must have had a laugh when I told you what size paint brush I wanted. Now knowing nothing about painting Toy Soldiers, and looking at the way you paint these (distemper brush style lol) is it OK if the gold ring I have to paint on the plume goes onto the white of the plume, then I cut it in with the white over the gold that has gone onto the white on the plume. Being ignorant of the fact, I thought I have to do the gold and not touch the white hence the smaller brush. Can we have a quick lesson on how I do it:D.
Bernard.

Attachments

• SL730946.JPG
    SL730946.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 182
Yo Master painter, excuse my ignorance, you must have had a laugh when I told you what size paint brush I wanted. Now knowing nothing about painting Toy Soldiers, and looking at the way you paint these (distemper brush style lol) is it OK if the gold ring I have to paint on the plume goes onto the white of the plume, then I cut it in with the white over the gold that has gone onto the white on the plume. Being ignorant of the fact, I thought I have to do the gold and not touch the white hence the smaller brush. Can we have a quick lesson on how I do it:D.
Bernard.

Bernard, you can do it that way but make sure that the gold has thoroughly dried before painting white over the top, if it was me I would do it the other way round.

Jeff

Bernard, you can do it that way but make sure that the gold has thoroughly dried before painting white over the top, if it was me I would do it the other way round.

Jeff

lol OK will make a brush like you said, which cannot be repeated lol.
Bernard.

Hi Jeff, thanks for the update ! Cheers, Michel

Another update.......I managed to paint the water bottles and haversacks earlier this afternoon before the daylight disappeared at around 2.30pm! this is fast becoming a frustration :mad: So hopefully a couple of photo's either tomorrow or Sunday at the latest.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back