Are most posters afraid??? (1 Viewer)

I have been so recently involved with this forum.......but it just seems that most members are afraid to be honest??

Yes or No

A lot of people here have invested thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars in the products of certain manufacturers and/or sell their products on the secondary market. So there is some interest in maintaining the value of that product among those collectors. I don't have a problem with that, but it does sometimes influence what is said or not said on the forum.

Great. I had the chance to buy some of the glossy Sudan's once and missed the boat. They are nice..I just could not get to a computer in time for the auction.

Boy does that bring up an idea. Camel Corp's!!!! How about Camel ambulance....oh stop me....never happen.. I guess I will have to settle for my Beau Geste until....?

Love to see your Sudan's if you have any pics!!

I actually have quite a collection of really old K&C items. One of my prized pieces is a glossy NAP WAR Prussian Death's Head Hussar.

I also have all the first early 01 and on Afrika Korps!! This was an expensive but well worth it endeavor.

For some of my K&C Glossies check, http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20017&page=5

Nice one the AK's, those are the only AK's I don't own.

I have been so recently involved with this forum.......but it just seems that most members are afraid to be honest??

Yes or No

I think some posters would be if they said some of the things face to face. As they say " don't let you mouth write checks, your butt can't cash". Also, some posters confuse honesty with bias or have "know it all disease". Some posters will claim one product is the best in the industry, which assumes they have gone to every toy show in the world and seen every manufactured toy soldier. For the most part, posters should have nothing to fear, especially if you don't get out much.

First off- this is a forum maintained by an entity known as Treefrog Treasures. Given that, they can moderate what is said/not said and we essentially agree to those rules from the onset. "Freedom of Speech" isn't neccesarily a free license to run and comment in a way that would be damaging or otherwise reflect poorly on TF- A position I fully support.

I have been as guilty as anyone for posting some rather mean and even aggressive posts in the past. I took a good, long hard look at what I was saying and not really sure it was really reflecting the person I really am- so I took a nice long timeout.

So, in answer to your question, I would like to think it is more of a case of people being respectful of TF rather than folding from their positions. Certain comments and posts can inflame certain personal beliefs but in the end, I think even most people agree here that no matter what each other says, you aren't going to change the other guys opinion, so why keep beating your head against a wall??

These are my toys and this is one of my hobbies....I've no need to engage in anything but constructive discussions on this forum-delivered with honest opinions, while showng due respect to my fellow collectors and their opinions.
I'm here for fun and refuse to be dragged into some of the less constructive threads that seem to be popular these days.
End of rant.
mike

You moving away from the Shrimpin business to the fortune cookie business??:D

hehehe...it might have been off a fortune cookie...or off the old "Kung Fu" series...:D...I don't remember...

I'm not afraid to publicly point out a mistake on a figure...I just don't see the point in it...

some things are better handled discreetly...

I would rather send a private message to the manufacturer and politely ask..."Are you sure that's right?"...

why embarrass them publicly...

and as far as that goes...two people can say the same thing and it sounds haughty by one and diplomatic by the other...

sometimes "reading text" loses it's tone in the translation...a simple polite statement can easily be misinterpreted as an ugly embarrassing comment...

there are a couple of guys on this forum that seem to really feel the need to let the collecting public know...that is was them...that discovered the error...almost patting themselves on the back for finding the flaw with their fine detective work...I swear...I think they scrutinize the figures more for mistakes than enjoyment...

I don't want an Indian with a bazooka...or a Knight piloting a Panzer...

but if the color of the uniform is a tad off...big deal...I don't care...it's really important to some people...not really to me...

I'm curious what percentage this small group of Froggers makes up of the entire toy soldier buying public...just the 54-60mm ranges...

I would guess we make 5%-10%...probably not too big in the grand scheme of things...

probably the best guesstimates would come from the dealers...

do their public comments on inaccuracies hurt the sales of those figures...I don't know...

I sometimes see mention of uniform mistakes, weapon mistakes, etc...usuually small historical inaccuracies in detail...they don't seem such an annoyance to me...we deserve accurate renditions...

I guess if they really bug you...just don't buy them...or make your own...

I would never call out a mistake publicly...I just wouldn't...

Ken Osen mentioned on an old thread what part the research plays in making a sculpt...saying it played a large role in the amount of time consumed to create the figure...I think his point being...that they make a 100% effort to be correct...

I appreciate the effort...everybody wants as close a replica as possible...but if it's something small...I can live with it...no comments necessary from me...

I can tell you this for a fact...while I collect for myself...none of my friends that enter my house would look at one of my diorama and know the difference in a small mistake...

I'm not scared to speak my mind...I would just do it privately...

had a feeling that was coming...

back to the discussion...

I'm just saying...

if my friend's zipper was down...

I would privately tell him...

some things are better said discreetly and not publicly...:D

Speaking of zipper's being down, in 1971 I was a summer clerk at the NY law firm of Paul, Weiss (a big NY firm) and I was asked to bring up some books to Mr. London, Jackie Onassis' attorney, and when I get to his office he takes one look at me and says "your fiddle's open." :eek: Talk about one of those emabarrasing moments. I think I mumbled thanks and got the heck out of there.

Speaking of zipper's being down, in 1971 I was a summer clerk at the NY law firm of Paul, Weiss (a big NY firm) and I was asked to bring up some books to Mr. London, Jackie Onassis' attorney, and when I get to his office he takes one look at me and says "your fiddle's open." :eek: Talk about one of those emabarrasing moments. I think I mumbled thanks and got the heck out of there.

Brad, I would retell that story and add Bass Fiddle.

Yes or No

You should have been here when the discussion of the "pacific" was raging,,political correctness and other things uber alles.

At the risk of stating the obvious...I don't think honesty is in short supply here.

I suppose I'm relatively new, I've only been on here about 2 years. I guess missed some truly heated discussion in the past.

But from my limited experience, this just seems like an off week. I think it was a confluence of bad events - the retroactive price raises coming right on the heels of the over-inventory/dealer discount controversy. I don't think the former was a result of the latter, but it did feel punitive.

Add that to passionate collectors, a time when nearly EVERYONE is feeling the pinch economically...and you've got a recipe for volatility.

It probably would have helped if Andy had come out sooner and gotten ahead of it. But he does have a business to run, and there aren't many business/hobbies/arts where the head of the company/major artist interacts with the fans/consumers as much as this one.

I write comic books for a living, and it's a similar industry in that it's both an art form and a collectible, and there is a small but passionate fan base. Trust me when I say that I've never seen anything on here that compares to the viciousness from online comic fans (I've been pretty lucky, but my peers have gotten death threats over a killing obscure fictional characters).

As much as Andy is a tough ex-Royal Marine/Hong Kong policeman/hard-driving businessman, he's also in my mind an artist. While the majority of comments on here are positive, I can relate when he's driven crazy by the minority of criticism (some of it constructive, some of it...not so much). I always appreciate that it never deters him from coming back and engaging with us.

I love that he does that (as does Richard and Ken from Britains, Rick from Figarti etc), that Treefrog hosts this forum and I love just about everyone who posts here. I love Louis sharing his collection and family war stories. I eagerly await Rob's dispatch thread. I'm energized by Arnhem44's enthusiasm. I even enjoy CapitalRon's refusal to accept that Andy is unlikely to sculpt a Seminole:)

(I'm leaving a bunch of people out or else this would be even longer than it is)

I feel like I learn something new every time I'm on here, whether about business, history, sculpture. I love that there are such big personalities who can make a strong case for what they believe in but, for the most part, remain civil.

I kept out of the debates of the past week not because I didn't want to be "honest", but because I didn't feel like I had anything constructive to add. (That's not a knock on the people who did...I felt like posters on both sides had some good points.) And after a few days had passed, I realized it was not likely to affect me in the short term (higher prices may in the long term, but that's another story). Doesn't mean I don't feel bad for anyone - collector, dealer or manufacturer that's taking a hit. Just that I don't think my uninformed 2 cents would have contributed to a conversation, especially when I didn't have a dog in this fight.

At 35 I'd guess I'm on the youngish side here (I know, I'm still no Arnhem44:), and again, new to collecting. The new blood that I think TS manufactures and dealers would want to bring into the hobby.

Everyone who posts on the TF forum, whether they realize it or not, is in some way an ambassador for Toy Soldiers. From my perspective nearly everyone has done a great job. I've been able to ask questions and get honest answers, without being made to feel like my questions were stupid (I'm sure many of them were) or an outsider. Whenever I've bought or sold figures I've been lucky enough to deal with trustworthy, reliable folks. If there's a more friendly, helpful bunch of TS enthusiasts I'd like to meet them.

Any time I've met board members in person (sadly, too few and too seldom), they are even nicer. The internet rarely brings out the better angels of our nature. The forum may not be perfect, but like the hobby it's a nice oasis for me.

Well, this has turned out to be a more rambling post than I'd intended. I guess it's just my way of trying to add a little positive perspective, and most of all to thank everyone on here for making my visits to the board something fun.

Thanks for listening. The bickering may resume:)

Dear marksable,

I think that was well written personal perspective. There were some good observations which I agree with.

More importantly, you came across as honest and that counts for a lot in my book.

Thanks, Raymond.:)

Very well put Mark. For the life of me, I will never understand why people get themselves so work up about toys. I guess as they say boys will be boys.

Mark,

Great post and great observations.

Now, what's this stuff about Seminoles not being issued :eek:

Great Post Mark... a man of wisdom, insight and honesty...It would be my pleasure to shake your hand...Best Frank

Mark, your's was the first post I read this Sunday am and I must say it was a pleasure. Very well put. Thank you. -- Al

I am ''afraid to the big bad wolf''!!!!
Seriously, great post
Mitch

Thanks Mark, an excellent well balanced post.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back