are these new?? (4 Viewers)

Thanks for the feedback. As for the sculpts I prefer the Connoisseur ones, if we're talking FL to FL. However, if we're comparing FL to Britains, I would lean to First Legion.

I think the sculpts are the same. The heads and arms are switched around. But I think it is the painting that is different? At a lower level. But even then. I think they are very well done.

I agree that the sculpts are similar. I would have liked to have seen a different regiment rather than more of the 55th NC. However, I realize that requires more of a capital investment.

I generally prefer WB ACW figs as they are more historically accurate IMO (see the FL dismounted cavalry figs as examples). But I do use many FL figs to fill out units and as advertised, that's what this new release is intended to accomplish. I welcome these additional figs to the line. Especially like the 2nd Maryland as that is my home state. Chris

It will be interesting if / how it will affect future purchases of civil war collectors, there is a $4 dollar difference in price between FL and WB, how will they lean in their decisions.
I have always loved FL. The most CW figures I have is the 13th Alabama, never really got into the CW line pieces, but with these releases, that. Would change. I do have some WB pieces, so once I get these, a side to side comparison will be interesting.
Looking forward to the Roman Testudo!!

Last edited:
I have about three-fourths of all First Legion Civil War issued (as well a fair number of AeroArt figures). I have to see these in person before I think about adding these to my collection. What I would like to see is more of the regular issues but I don't want to tread down that street again :wink2:

UK Reb posted the following in his Civil War thread and thought it might be of interest to those who may not read that thread.

Well they have certainly got my attention George. I- along with all other FL collectors- consider that my FL ACW figures to be amongst the finest in my collection and these "cheaper" Battle Mass versions are a most welcome addition to swell my ranks of Rebs.

Not sure if this is a sign of the times but what I do know is that UK FL prices are pretty sky high. Sure you expect to pay extra for such finely sculpted/painted military figures. However, the average price per FL single standing figure this side of the pond is now £60.00 ($85.00) A Flag bearer is £70.00 ($100) and a mounted figure is a whopping £140.00 ($196.00). Speaking with one of the FL dealers at the London show last year he said he rarely if ever sells multiples of FL at the show as most punters cherry pick just the odd one or two. Not sure if this is reflected Stateside but to justify spending up to £200.00 here for three single FL figures one needs to be a particularly brave soul. I have done it a few times but try not to think about it too much.

One slight annoyance I have though George with this new ACW venture are Matt's choice of the two new state flag bearers. Why Maryland? Any ACW buff knows Maryland as a border state did not secede from the Union. Indeed two- and only two- Maryland infantry regiments joined the Confederacy but one of them was disbanded in early August 1862. The 2nd Infantry Maryland Regiment served in Steuart's Brigade and yes- fought at Gettysburg and also saw some action at Cold Harbor. I'm being pedantic I know but I would have much preferred North/South Carolina or even Georgia flags which would have made them much more versatile to use in any number of Eastern Theatre dioramas.

Bob

I've got to ask this question, so forgive my ignorance, but why is the 1st pattern National flag that the 2nd Maryland is carrying, in reverse colors? I have never seen this flag presented this way with the stripes white-red-white. Should not the flag be the standard red-white-red stripe? I am not a Confederate flag expert, but I thought that the 2nd Maryland carried a national flag based on the standard 1st pattern. Anyone know the reason here? -- Al

Now the question is what other series/armies/campaigns will fit into this approach?
my guess would be Napoleonic line infantry, especially in overcoats, Medieval archers and pikemen and perhaps some SYW infantry.....
Curious what others think.

Now the question is what other series/armies/campaigns will fit into this approach?
my guess would be Napoleonic line infantry, especially in overcoats, Medieval archers and pikemen and perhaps some SYW infantry.....

Would love to see this MB range apply to the AWI!!! Could always use more militia.........

Mark

In his post indicated that the Mass Battle approach would not be followed for every range they make.

There will not be a connoisseur version and a mass battle version of everything we create. Far from it [....]. We are selecting very specific products for very specific periods to allow for the creation of larger dioramas at a more reasonable price point using figures that complement our connoisseur figures.​

It's great to see that our new MB Series of figures is generating some interesting discussion. I thought I'd take a moment to provide some thoughts regarding our approach and to address some of the comments regarding our new Mass Battle (MB) series of figures.

Our normal, connoisseur products will still make up the vast majority of what we do and prices of these products will not be affected by the existence of the MB figures. So from that perspective, there is no relationship between what we are doing with our "MB" range and connoisseur level of products. Yes, the prices on our connoisseur figures has been higher on a few releases lately but that's in large part because of the complexity of the figures and the fact that we are pushing the quality of the painting higher and higher. For those who have received the Thirty Years War figures or Retreat from Russia Sledge for example, they will see that we have elevated the painting quality even higher than we have achieved before. This is a conscious choice and it's not a price increase across the board nor are the higher prices on these pieces without added value. On the contrary, once you see the figures you will see that it's been money well spent! We are a company that is always trying to innovate and elevate the level of our products. Our focus as a company has never really been on price, it's always been on achieving a quality level never before seen on a mass produced figure and then providing it for a price that is extremely reasonable relative to that quality.

For the MB Series of figures, we guarantee you won't ever see "sloppy" painting that sometimes can be associated with figures in this price range. Above anything else, the painting on the MB figures is incredibly crisp and neat and like our connoisseur figures do at the higher end of the quality scale, these figures represent a tremendous value in terms of the quality of painting and sculpting that you will get on a $38 figure. Simply put, they're really excellent figures. So don't think of them so much as $38 figures, think of them as First Legion $38 figures which means much the same as it does for our $65 figures (you get more than you pay for!). Here are some additional images, though they look better in the hand.

Some of the individual figures.
MBsample.jpg

Why we created them!
MBGroup_large.jpg

MBimagelow.jpg

There will not be a connoisseur version and a mass battle version of everything we create. Far from it and we will never release a new group of figures in both connoisseur and MB quality simultaneously. Connoisseur quality will always be the priority and most of our ranges will never have MB figures created for them. We are selecting very specific products for very specific periods to allow for the creation of larger dioramas at a more reasonable price point using figures that complement our connoisseur figures. People have often pointed out to us that First Legion figures can be used with much more expensive Russian figures in the same dioramas and not at all look out of place. Our MB figures can be used with our connoisseur figures and not at all look out of place as well. As a company, we have always had a very diorama-centric approach to what we do and how we do it. We have created some truly massive individual releases, for example 40 figures representing the French 18th Line infantry. We do this because it results in a very realistic diorama when there is a lot of individual variety, rather than many repeats of the same figure. These new figures are another step in assisting our customers to create such large dioramas. With these particular ACW figures, they use the sculpts of the 55th NC figures, but we've changed arm and head variants, changed all of the uniform colors, and converted a few of them to new standard bearers. So for folks who have the 55th NC figures, they can add these figures to them and are not simply getting a lower cost, simpler version of what they already have, they are new figures that can be used with those figures to add even more variety. So this gives a good example of what we intend to do with the new series.

We hope that these new figures will appeal to both our current customers as well as to collectors who purchase figures in this price range who don't currently collect First Legion. But if you love our connoisseur figures and collect them because they are the best available, by all means please continue to do so. The existence of these in no way changes the level of support or general approach to our connoisseur figures. However, if you love our connoisseur figures but love large dioramas, supplement those dioramas with these figures. And finally, if you have never collected our figures because the price point is a bit high, we now have a more entry level figure that will compare very favorably to figures that are available at the price point you collect. In the end, we are a company that wants to produce only the best products available at their price point and we feel we have achieved this with the new series of figures. We hope that for those of you who collect the new series that once you have them in your hands, you'll agree.

Thanks for listening and I hope this explanation has been helpful and given you a bit of insight into the new Mass Battle series. These figures will be available in our next pre-order grouping in about a week or so and shipping to customers in late March. We thank you all for your continued support!

Best,

Matt
First Legion

Excellent idea. Matt:salute::...These entry level figures will really be helpful for NAP collectors trying to create larger battle scenes and allow us hopefully to add on to existing sets (hopefully there will be varied fighting/marching poses)...It's great that these figures will be compatible with the higher level figures and not look out of place in a diorama battle scene:salute::

Matt, can you cite the reference for the national colors? Some of us don't recognize that flag. Very nice additions to the series. Chris

I've got to ask this question, so forgive my ignorance, but why is the 1st pattern National flag that the 2nd Maryland is carrying, in reverse colors? I have never seen this flag presented this way with the stripes white-red-white. Should not the flag be the standard red-white-red stripe? I am not a Confederate flag expert, but I thought that the 2nd Maryland carried a national flag based on the standard 1st pattern. Anyone know the reason here? -- Al

Good eye. The flag issue has already been corrected.

Best,

Matt

I started lobbying to include Napoleonic cavalry in the MB series. One can always hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back