Are we tired of ACW Ironclads Yet? (1 Viewer)

maddadicus

2nd Lieutenant
I have been building this one in stealth mode. Because I had no idea what was needed to make it, I chose not to show the progress in a how to thread..The rear mound is hand laid wood strips over a plastic bowl shell. This ship should have a more pronounced hump ,running along it's deck length, but I could not reproduce it. I ended up buying molding with an angled edge....My turret ( not shown )is a 4" pvc connecting fitting with gunports cut in...Thanks, Michael

Attachments

• HPIM0194.JPG
    HPIM0194.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 582
Looking good Michael. Our resident ship builder good to see your latest project.

Michael,
Thanks for the reminder that I had started this a couple years ago and forgot about it. Ambulance for size comparison. There was a fellow who produced vacuuform hulls for ironclads back some years ago. Forget his name, but he had at least 8 different hulls. I'm looking forward to r/cing this eventually. Very shallow draft. Also used wood strips for the paddlewheel. Hull came with turret and used pin heads for rivets. Lots of good pics on the internet for this particular iron clad. What scale is yours??
Bill W

Attachments

• osage 001.jpg
    osage 001.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 318
  • osage 002.jpg
    osage 002.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 333
This was at the last (June) London show.

Jeff

Attachments

• ASS12.JPG
    ASS12.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 263
Michael,
Thanks for the reminder that I had started this a couple years ago and forgot about it. Ambulance for size comparison. There was a fellow who produced vacuuform hulls for ironclads back some years ago. Forget his name, but he had at least 8 different hulls. I'm looking forward to r/cing this eventually. Very shallow draft. Also used wood strips for the paddlewheel. Hull came with turret and used pin heads for rivets. Lots of good pics on the internet for this particular iron clad. What scale is yours??
Bill W

Bill, it is a shortened 1/32 scale. 27" in length and 51/2" width. I believe there was an outfit that made your ship body for radio controlled river combat. They had small simulated cannon effects. Your does seem larger..I forgot all the other company.....Your's looks very nice...Michael

That London waterline model is great and the two in progress look very promising as well. So what model ironclad are those?

That's probably the same company Michael. He was working on a system to fire bbs from the cannons. I had hoped to get a Cairo from him but he was all sold out. this one measures 40L x 11w x 2h. Also have his Albermarle that I had started to sand before laying it aside to work on the Osage. Hopfully this winter
Bill W

Attachments

• osage.jpg
    osage.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 273
You all have probably seen this but it was interesting to me. Nice discussion of the history and building of several ironclad operating models, including the Osage. He has an interesting way of making the rounded deck for that one.
http://walternelson.com/ironclads.pdf

You all have probably seen this but it was interesting to me. Nice discussion of the history and building of several ironclad operating models, including the Osage. He has an interesting way of making the rounded deck for that one.
http://walternelson.com/ironclads.pdf

Thanks for the link. I have never visited this site before and really learned a thing or 2 about real modeling...Michael

The link is quite informative, thanks.

Michael, do you have any other ironclads that you are working on??
Bill W

The link is quite informative, thanks.

Michael, do you have any other ironclads that you are working on??
Bill W

No, but the turret I made could mount on a flat board and become a monitor....I love the Cairo class ships, but unless I acquire some real power tools and the skill to use them, I would find those ships to be labor intensive..In hindsight, my Osage should have been wider so that I could have made a more pronounced hump and handle the turret. Because I needed the 4" turret to handle scale guns and some 1/32 crew, I would have preferred a shorter height on the turret. All my compromises in length and width take me out of the scale modeler club..but then I am a collector of toys, and can live with that. Spit it out, what do you want me to build next? How about a 4' long Choctaw?:eek:Michael

Mike,
Did you ever check out the scale model section of Military Miniatures Warehouse.They have a lot of cw products.
Mark

Spit it out, what do you want me to build next? How about a 4' long Choctaw?:eek:Michael

As I remember, the fellow who offered the boats had several Chocktaw hulls left and yeah they were big:D I wish I could remember who that fellow was to see if he had any still available. I found the instructions to the Albermarle but, dang it, no name or address.

Thanks for the infor Mark

Bill W

As I remember, the fellow who offered the boats had several Chocktaw hulls left and yeah they were big:D I wish I could remember who that fellow was to see if he had any still available. I found the instructions to the Albermarle but, dang it, no name or address.

Thanks for the infor Mark

Bill W

Bill, check out the company, Mark just offered..Under scale models, Columbus Ironworks is your outfit..Michael

Wow, I didn't check out the link right away as I was doing laundry. The name Columbus Ironworks doesn't ring a bell but the hulls are sure the same. I wonder if they have a new supply of the Cairo. Thanks guys
Bill W

Contacted MMH and they no longer have any infor on Columbus Ironworks. Oh well, I guess no Chocktaw for us Michael
Bill

Sorry about that Bill.MMW should take the info off their website.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back