Artillery Officers (1 Viewer)

rharry

Private 1st Class
I need the history guys to explain about the Officers who were in charge of Artillery. Has WB made any Officers for this group? Who would normally be an officer standing near the artillery?

Thanks Rick

hi Rick,

The answer is yes but it will depend on the era.

They have done some Civil War era sets and one for Gettysburg that had an particular officers battery with him included. They also have done a set for the VC line Indian Mutiny, They did a battery and an officer there as well. I am sure there are other examples out there as well. If its a ceremonial set they did a Mounted Officer and Gun Crew for the Durbar Glossy Line. There are other examples out there as well.

So I guess the question is what set are you looking for?

Rick,

normally the officer on the gun line would be a section officer, overseeing 3 guns. So 2 officer per battery, on the gun line.

The guns are in command of a Sergeant, and NOT an officer. Officers are usually in the command post or forward observers calling in fire missions or commanding the whole battery and regiment.

I really don't like it when makers have an officer with each gun. The officer should be a separate figure and so you could then have a realsitic setup of figures.

John

Rick, for the ACW the typical Federal battery had 6 guns, and the typical Confederate battery had 4 guns, although some reb batteries did have 6 guns. The battery was usually commanded by a Captain. Each battery was further broken down into "sections" with two guns per section. Gun sections were usually commanded by a Lt. Within the past year WB released set #31033 Confederate Artillery officer with Flag Bearer. I generally have used this set as a gun section commander.
:) Mike

Lt Cushing, battery commander, is depicted in one of the WB sets, retired. He died at the "Angle" at Gettysburg. He was approved for the MOH in 2/2010, 147 yrs after the battle. I was able to get one in the secondary market. :D

Thanks all what sparked my interest was the WB 31033 set which I ordered and arrived recently....not seen a union example of the set so was just wondering....thanks again to all for helping me understand.....

We have several other artillery items planned for the next few years, including officers of artillery. Mike is spot on with his info as usual.
Hope this helps a bit,
Ken

Officers are usually ......forward observers calling in fire missions or commanding the whole battery and regiment.

With wildly varying degrees of accuracy I might add. If you live in house that is within 3-5 miles of a live fire range- check your homeowners policy :D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back