Assembly & painting of of a Hichliffe RHA Gun Team c 1915 (2 Viewers)

Today I have added the reins, bits and chains to horses as well as adding texture to the base.

Then undercoated, and I have given the hoses their coat colour.

gun11.jpg

Note that I'm using the Hinchliffe individual bases while painting but the horses are not glued onto the bases.

John

Here we go again ....

The horse's hair, lower legs are now black, the saddle blankets blue/grey and the saddle, reins and leather straps have been painted leather colour. Also the textured base has a covering of grass (paint) :)

gun12.jpg

Next will be detailing of the metal parts, and adding some white socks and facial flash and eyes to complete the colours.

More to come tomorrow,

John

More to come tomorrow,

John

Today (Sunday) I have completed the centre pair of horses, they still need their traces to be given a final gloss coating and then I can join them to the wheelers.

gun13.jpg

Maybe tomorrow ???

John

John,

Looking at this work, I wonder if there are casting of a German WW1 horsed gun team? If so, when you do the German Gun Crew and Field Gun for me next year, maybe I can get a set of those casting to you as well. Your work is just impeccable.:salute::

Hi Louis,
Unfortunately neither Hichliffe nor Mounford did a German WW1 horse drawn gun...And the howitzer you have selected from Roseminiatures would need in excess of 8 pairs of horses and a special carriage so as to be hauled.....The closest that you can see how those guns were moved, watch War Horse the movie....
On the other hand Hichliffe did produce a horse drawn WW2 10.5 cm field gun....just amazing...
Cheers
Luiz

John,

Looking at this work, I wonder if there are casting of a German WW1 horsed gun team? If so, when you do the German Gun Crew and Field Gun for me next year, maybe I can get a set of those casting to you as well. Your work is just impeccable.:salute::

Hi Louis,
Unfortunately neither Hichliffe nor Mounford did a German WW1 horse drawn gun...And the howitzer you have selected from Roseminiatures would need in excess of 8 pairs of horses and a special carriage so as to be hauled.....The closest that you can see how those guns were moved, watch War Horse the movie....
On the other hand Hichliffe did produce a horse drawn WW2 10.5 cm field gun....just amazing...
Cheers
Luiz

Thanks for the information, Luiz! Unfortunately, rather than glossy, I do matt WW2, and I have a German 10.5 cm gun pulled by a horse team made by Figarti some years back.

Luiz,

thanks for passing on the info of the other makers of horse drawn German WW2 equipment, I'm sure Louis will be interested.

Louis,

This is from the Calder Craft Catalogue, a subsidiary of Hinchliffe showing the kits they have made. There is also a French Napoleonic 4 horse team that I have in my collection. I also have the 2 sets of guns, but not the ambulance.

calderdraft.jpg

It does show the 8 horse German WW2 team.

By the way Louis, it took me about 10 years to get around to assemble and paint my Napoleonic French gun team, and 2 years to do my Nap RHA team, and this WW1 RHA team has been happening for over 3 years, so it will be a very long time until I can get to do any more like this :) :)

John

John

It has been a week of since I posted the last pictures, but forgot to post the completed centre pair with the traces in position.

gun15.jpg

Today I commenced the assembly of the final pair of horses, the leaders.

gun16.jpg
Here they are after assembly but standing on the plain tinplate base.
What comes next is the fitting of the reins, chains, and texture to the base, and then undercoating

John

Undercoating and reins now completed, to now on with the coloured painting .....

gun17.jpg

They will go back onto individual bases for the painting, then back to textured base before the final glossy top coat.

Maybe Monday they will be completed and so the full team can be assembled and show off ???

John

Finally Finished ....... !!!

hinch13.jpg

hinch13r.jpg

Over the weekend I completed the painting of the lead horses, and now I have assembled the whole team for the first time so you can see the result.

I have really enjoyed doing this project, and the earlier one of the RHA 1815 version for my own collection.

RHA 16.jpg

There isn't much of a difference in these 2 sets:
  • Both are metal kits by Hinchliffe ( Calder Craft)
  • Both have 6 horses, 3 drivers a limber, a gun and a mounted officer
  • Both are Royal Horse Artillery
  • Both fought in the fields of Belgium
  • Only difference being the uniform, the type of gun (ML & BL), and 100 years !!!!!!!

I am not planning on doing any more, it does that time and patience to complete it, so these will be most unique.

Thanks for viewing the progress,

John

Hi John,

Beautifully done! These are superlative presentations!

Rgds Victor

Looks even better in real life, look better in Matte but that's just my choice great build John good idea for the horse's bases.

Prior to this set I recently completed another Hinchliffe limber and gun, this time an 18 Pounder in action.

18Pdrwithlimber.jpg

Note that the rear of the limber opens so the loader can retrieve rounds and the figures come from John Eden.

John

Only just stumbled into this thread, I would just like to concur with the other comments and express my appreciation of your superb craftsmanship. Thank you for sharing pictures of these superb models.

John, just superb work. I am so thrilled to see these kits done up with such fine craftsman ship

This was really a very nice thread to follow John. Your project turned out amazingly done.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back