AWI - And Then There Were Twelve (1 Viewer)

mestell

Lieutenant Colonel
Well after waiting on their arrival all day, and patiently I might add . . . . NOT :tongue::rolleyes2:, the seven new British Grenadier recruits arrived at my door early this evening. I think I must have been the last delivery for the day! Anyway, these are every bit as great looking as the first five. Here's a photo of all twelve 5th Foot Grenadiers together. From L-R they are: AWI027, AWI026, AWI031, AWI033, AWI037, AWI039, AWI030, AWI032, AWI030, AWI034, AWI031, and AWI028 (also used is W. Britain #DSIP10 "Chosen Ground" display base w/backdrop made by Hudson & Allen for W. Britain). I will try to post more photos tomorrow . . .
:smile2: Mike

PICT0002-2.jpg

Mike ,
Thanks for posting so quickly :salute:: . This looks really nice , excellent shot ..the use of the "Chosen Ground" display base w/backdrop made by Hudson & Allen works perfectly almost like it was made to go together . I'm really enjoying this , seeing them altogether makes it easier to enjoy the variety of sculpts . I really think the one fifth from the left it is extremely well done , looks very lifelike or should that be deathlike .. I can almost hear the crack of musket fire . It looks like a kill shot with that arm going up and his head going back, I think he is a goner for sure really a nice sculpt . I Can't wait to see what you can come up next , Thanks again for sharing your passion with us . Regards Gebhard

Mike, I just recieved my order today....What an amazing set of figures:smile2:...I ordered 12 as well.... the AWI British flag bearers are superb....The paint (British Red) and detail is fantastic.....I will try to post some photos....What a product line....Well Done First Legion:salute::

That's a beautiful shot Mike...they look spectacular with your mat...nice bit of photography...

Mike, you have a very nice little set-up there. I'm glad you are so happy with this range. I can totally relate! Also, you will really love the militia when you start to pick them up as well.

Noah

simply stunning. That pictures looks like a professional military history painting depicting the period. Congrats to FL for making such beautiful figures and congrats to you Mike for the amazing talents behind the camera. This toy soldiers must be the supermodels of the TS world as they are so exceptionally photogenic.

Last edited:
Thank you all: Vezzolf, Gebhard, 6th WI, Michael, Noah, and Chris. Look forward to seeing your photos also Vezzolf.

Here are some more photos showing some detail and similarities in these figures. It appears to me that AWI037 Marching Falling Shot, and AWI031 March Attack w/Raised Arm were designed to go together. If AWI037 is placed in front of AWI031, it makes it appear as if AWI031 is blocking himself from his falling comrade at arms. Of course, I also think that AWI031 could be used in line wihtout any reltionship to AWI037.

PICT0004-12.jpg

The Grenadiers in the March Attack pose, AWI030, AWI031, and AWI039, all have the same body scult. Each has a different head, and AWI031 has a raised right arm.

PICT0005-7.jpg

The Grenadiers Marching, AWI032, AWI033, and AWI034, also have the same body pose, each with a different head. If you look closely you can see that AWI033 has a bearskin on over a bandaged head.

PICT0006-6.jpg

I have finally decided to create a 23-man Grenadier company section containing two 10-man squads, each sqaud with an NCO figure. The other three figures will be the Grenadier Company Officer, the Regimental Officer w/Sword (used as a young subaltern recently asigned to the Grenadiers from a Hat Company), and the Drummer.

Here's a diagram of what I have in mind:

IMG.jpg

I have reduced this diagram from my original 26-man company diagram I shared last week in an attempt to control cost and yet have a nice looking formation. You will note that I am using only one each of the Marching wounded, AWI033, AWI034, and AWI039 and I am rethinking only using 1 AWI037 instead of two as shown. This would give me the presence of 4 casualties in the ranks, which realilstically is a very high casualty percentage out of just 23 men (17%). If I do get 2 AWI037 this percentage would be (22%) which I think might look a little bit lopsided unless I wanted to imagine that my colonial militia are deadly sharp shooters.

With the presence of casulties in the ranks, any scenarios planned will have to assume that this Grenadier section has been previously engaged and is withdrawing, i.e. going back to Boston after Lexington and Concord, or making a second assualt on an objective to their front, i.e. Bunker/Breed's Hill.

I plan to finish this company section formation first before collecting any of the Colonial Militia.

All in all I really think this is a very well done and versatile offering. I really hope that we will someday see 5th Foot Light Infantry to go with these "fellows"

Mike

You are fast becoming the UKREB of the American Revolution!

Keep em' coming.

Randy

Mike ,
Great photo's , I'm not so sure any of these are exactly the same sculpt with just different heads , I could be wrong but there looks to be some very small differences between them . Maybe its just that when the sculptor was ask to make a few doing the same thing the poses look very similar . Maybe Matt can address this .. You could be right and maybe its just the difference in painting that makes them look different to me .. Regardless you did a wonderful job thanks for sharing :salute:: if you keep this up you may just pull me into this line :mad: or at least a few figures as a stand alone display.... I've got my eye on the Drummer and the Standard Bearers :wink2:.. Happy collecting Gebhard

They are the same basic sculpt as Mike has pointed out. We do this for our linear battle ranges where you have massed lines of close order troops because it ends up providing a more realistic display then if you just do a single version and have to use it over and over and over again. The minor differences, such as the different faces or the bandage under the bearskin are more interesting than just the same exact figure repeated. So for this particular release, we did 2 basic marching sculpts and provided 3 variants of each one so that you can build your battle lines from 6 different figures (plus all others of course!) rather than just 1. This overall realistic look is further enhanced by the inclusion of so many other figures to complement the marching - all the NCO/Officer/Standard Bearer/Drummer/Sapper/Casualty/Colonel figures fill out the display and break up the marching figures nicely allowing for a very realistic and natural looking unit presentation even for the largest displays.

Mike ,
Great photo's , I'm not so sure any of these are exactly the same sculpt with just different heads , I could be wrong but there looks to be some very small differences between them....

Gebhard, they do look to be the same body sculpts. Check out the creases in the uniforms for AWI030, 31 and 39. The folds of the clothes are the same on each. Same for AWI032, 33, and 34. No big deal, as there is enough difference to me to easily justify getting one of each!

Noah

Really nice work Mike. You are a credit to those beautiful FL figures and I look forward to seeing more of these great displays.:salute::

Of course no one here is near a UK Reb but who knows, maybe in time grasshopper .........:cool:

Thanks again everyone . . . .
Mike

Mike, You are fast becoming the UKREB of the American Revolution! Keep em' coming. Randy

Really nice work Mike. You are a credit to those beautiful FL figures and I look forward to seeing more of these great displays.:salute::

Of course no one here is near a UK Reb but who knows, maybe in time grasshopper .........:cool:

Thanks for the flattery Randy. And I would have to agree Bill that it would take incredible patience and dedicated time to produce what Bob Jones (UKReb) has provided for our pleasure. I'll be content at producing a great photo with a short story that provides the historical perspective. I don't think I will ever attempt a serial series such as what we have grown to admire in Bob's creations.

Gosh a nice bunch and they don't come cheap do they......awesome looking group Mike..............My wife would have to get a job if I took up that line...:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back