AWI British (1 Viewer)

Sgt. 403

Private
The last release represented the Royal Welch Fusileers. Was the first release, BR34-41, supposed to represent a particular unit, or are they just a stand in for a general "Redcoat" of the time? I ask because the RWF and Hessians (the release just retired) were both present during the Southern Campaign. With Cornwallis being represented as the British general for this range, is it geared towards a Southern campaign or again, just a stand in for any British during the war.

And on a related note, how many multiples does it usually take to make a decent looking firing line? I would think it's based on what you're trying to do, but I've never tried to put one together. Thanks.

Someone else may be better qualified than I am but I'll have a go at your question. I do not believe that the AWI offerings that K&C make are specifically designed for a particular battle or campaign.

You are correct in that the RW Fusiliers were present (along with the Hessians) in the southern campaign but I don't think, marketing-wise, that the release of these sets were intended to be specifically for the southern campaign. The British released prior to these sets, the BR34 - BR41, were, as far as I know, made to be just ordinary British soldiers, suitable for any campaign the collector desired to place them in.

Once again, I am not THE expert on all things K&C so maybe Andy himself can address your question.

As far as compiling a decent firing line, you pretty much answered your own question. Simply base it on what you're trying to do. Personally I try for a line of 10, but that is based purely on personal preference.

Hope this helps.

Mark

SG404...

In relation to your firing line its as many as you can afford and feel right for yourself. Its your collection.
Mitch

As far as multiples are concerned, the typical curio cabinet comfortably allows for about 8 figures per row, assuming the row is on the short dimension of the cabinet. Six will display nicely aand if you narrow cabinet 6 will look better than 8. Beyond eight that it can get a tad crowded.

If buying multiples, I like to think of the final display setting for the pieces and limit the purchases to what I know I can permanently display. Hate the troops being the the closet.

Three rows of six figures in rank and file makes a nice platoon.

Hi All, just a thought guys. It would be really nice to see some pic's posted of K&C AWI figures/dio's.

There's plenty of us "new" K&C collectors who've not seen much of the earlier figures in this range.:rolleyes:

Was wondering if it would be a good idea to start a Thread on this subject, or continue with this one??:confused:

There appears to be lots of AWI collectors out there, but very few that post pic's. Would be a nice change.:)

Cheers Toddy

I also don't think that the previous AWI releases were 'supposed' to be any specific regiment. Therefore, I would say get as many as you can afford! Remember that most of the British in the AWI fought in a two-rank, open order formation, as opposed to the three rank normally seen. So, you can make a proportionally larger display with fewer figures.

Also, by the time of the Southern Campaign, most of the regiments were far understrength. For example, at Guliford Courthouse, the previously mentioned 23rd regiment stood at 238 effectives, divided into two 'wings'. Its fellow regiment, the 33rd, stood at 234 effectives, divided into two wings as well, each of them having two companies. So, with a display of around 20 figures, you are already representing close to 1/10th of either of these units.:)

Noah

Noah & Tobddy,

Something like this, a firing line made out of the new AWI Fusiliers.

Sorry about the quality of the photo's, problem has something to do with the person on the end of the camera (ME):p.

All it need now is a couple of different wounded Fusiliers.

I will make one other comment about the figures other than they are very very nice figures. The base on some on the figures are to small, on a hard surface fine on a mat they do not like to stand up.:(

And yes I know the print in the background is wrong era, but I do not have a AWI picture only Crimean or Nap

And anyone who can tell me what the fish is in the background of the second photo is, gets a free banana. :D

Andrew

Attachments

• AJM- 002.jpg
    AJM- 002.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 212
  • AJM- 003.jpg
    AJM- 003.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 209
Thats Fantastic Andrew, thanks so much for posting such a nice display.:eek:

Really like the grass matt & tent too.

As for the fish, he's got to be called Nemo??:confused: ;)Ha ha.

Cheers Toddy

Very nice display and the photo of this fish is a bit small but is it a Kissing Gourami?

Very nice display and the photo of this fish is a bit small but is it a Kissing Gourami?

Give the man a banana, very close, it is a gaint white gourami, they grow to approx 3 to 4 feet long and breath air. He (I asume he is a he) is only a little under a foot at the moment there is in fact two of them in the tank.

Attached are a couple more photo's of the AWI Fusiliers I hope they do the figures a bit more justice.

Andrew

Attachments

• AJM- 005.jpg
    AJM- 005.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 182
  • AJM- 006.jpg
    AJM- 006.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 190
Andrew,

great to see the thin red line in the Rev War, they look great all lined up, well done,

John

Give the man a banana, very close, it is a gaint white gourami, they grow to approx 3 to 4 feet long and breath air. He (I asume he is a he) is only a little under a foot at the moment there is in fact two of them in the tank.

Attached are a couple more photo's of the AWI Fusiliers I hope they do the figures a bit more justice.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

Looking back I should have guessed that as Kissing Gouramis are bit more square in shape. I'll let you keep the banana as it may not be in the best shape by the time it gets here HAHA

:)

Aussie Monty,

Thanks for the pics. I can always get a better idea of the possibilities looking at other collector's works, but seems like AWI is rarely pictured. Thanks again.

Andrew...

kudos on the photo...it's good to see you sharing your collections...is that a JG mat...it looks nice...

soldiers falling over...:mad:...for stability try adding a penny or a coin strategically placed under the base for stability...

Andrew

Nicely photo'd, great Firing Line. Need a few more trigger pullers for my Russian dio:) Thanks for posting!

And on a related note, how many multiples does it usually take to make a decent looking firing line? I would think it's based on what you're trying to do, but I've never tried to put one together. Thanks.

I have a dozen myself. Will post pics sometime this weekend. I thought a dozen figures would take up 1 foot of space but it's more like 16-17 inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back