B-25 USAAF Bombers coming for Doolittle's Raid? (2 Viewers)

Here are some photos (just with the iPhone, I'll take real ones later)
Here you can see the weathering and the weird screw holes I am talking about. One is of the under wing wheel well and the other is near the tail where is no wheel. Any ideas?

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Here are some photos (just with the iPhone, I'll take real ones later)
Here you can see the weathering and the weird screw holes I am talking about. One is of the under wing wheel well and the other is near the tail where is no wheel. Any ideas?

photo1.jpg

Yikes!!!

That is some horrible weathering right there. Waaaaay too much silver.

Zach, it looks like Figarti may have changed packaging strategies as those screw holes look like they were points where screws might have secured the plane to some sort of support. That's my guess. Beautiful model, bit I agree with you and Hunter Rose that the silver weathering has been applied much too liberally for realism. At any rate, congratulations on the new addition. Best looking medium bomber of WW2.:smile2: -- Al

I have just been discussing weathering or, lack of with members earlier today. Figarti make some superb aircraft but, since the UHU which was sublime they have began some weird airbrush experiment. The black lines on the Mossie were rather nasty and spoilt one of the best aircraft seen in the hobby and now this. I am lost to say its poor weathering as its beyond that its actually someone painting that has so little idea of what ware and tare on an aircraft looks like.

The screw holes I can only imagine were either to secure the aircraft in transit (a thing HB used to do with their AFV's) though, I am mystified why as they are really well secured to be posted or, were put there for some form of stand to have the aircraft ''in flight''

Either way Figarti are better than this IMO
Mitch

I just don't understand it. The model itself is so good. And the Figarti tanks and other vehicles are weathered so well in my opinion. This is very disappointing

I just don't understand it. The model itself is so good. And the Figarti tanks and other vehicles are weathered so well in my opinion. This is very disappointing
It looks as though most of the silver paint is on the leading edges of the wing, which is painted black. Maybe a bit of flat black paint will solve most of the problem. Hard to fathom what Figarti was thinking as these aircraft hadn't even seen action or much wear and tear. -- Al

If anyone else sees one in person that isn't weathered like mine, let me know. Maybe I'll be able to exchange it.

There shouldn't be any silver over the deicing-boots.

original

NH-53296.jpg

-Moe

There shouldn't be any silver over the deicing-boots.

original

NH-53296.jpg

-Moe
Excellent pics, Moe. That's why I said some black paint might solve the majority of the problem. Pics show very clearly that no major wear to the paint is evident, although some spotting is to be seen. -- Al

Here's another pic from Hobby Bunker. Still too much silver but not nearly as horrid as the one you actually got. I'd contact the dealer and ask for an exchange. Figarti is a little hit or miss on their weathering, and there seems to be a good deal of variation in exactly how the weathering comes out on the same models.

It could be better, but I could live with this model.

Figarti take note, tell your painters to stop using silver for weathering. It is failing more often than working on recent models.

7sfkDA.jpg

Last edited:
there are also no black spray lines on these aircraft which are abundant on the Figarti aircraft. I would think all manufacturers who do this technique (for reasons known only to themselves) should now desist immediately from any future releases
Mitch

Figarti normally does a great job in weathering IMHO, but this time it did a terrible job, to say the least....:redface2:

Here's another pic from Hobby Bunker. Still too much silver but not nearly as horrid as the one you actually got. I'd contact the dealer and ask for an exchange. Figarti is a little hit or miss on their weathering, and there seems to be a good deal of variation in exactly how the weathering comes out on the same models.

It could be better, but I could live with this model.

Figarti take note, tell your painters to stop using silver for weathering. It is failing more often than working on recent models.

7sfkDA.jpg

I got my B25 last year at the Chicago Show. I'm going to get mine out and compare with your models pic,and I don't remerber and screw holes in mine. Great model...Ron :salute::

I remember seeing the pic's of the B-25 in last year's Chicago Show, on a dio that displayed a section of the Hornet, and I saw a very different paint scheme on it....

This plane doesn't look like anything like the one I saw in Chicago, almost a year ago. Not that I have the room but I'm glad I didn't order the plane. If I were Zach, I'd return it to Hobby Bunker.

Brad

P.S. I will probably be getting a nastygram from Rick very soon {eek3}

Excellent pics, Moe. That's why I said some black paint might solve the majority of the problem. Pics show very clearly that no major wear to the paint is evident, although some spotting is to be seen. -- Al

Hi Al,

In looking at the Firgarti pics, it appears as though the manufacturer rendered the tires in a gray color. Given that deicer-boots are covered with a rubber membrane, consistency might dictate that the the leading edges of the airfoils should also be some shade of gray, schwarzgrau, perhaps. BTW, the only way we'd see metal through those surfaces would be if the membrane was damaged, somehow, rendering the boots inoperable. A copy and paste explanation:

A deicing boot consists of a thick rubber membrane that is installed over the surface to be deiced. As atmospheric icing occurs and ice builds up, a pneumatic system inflates the boot with compressed air. This expansion in size cracks any ice that has accumulated, and this ice is blown away into the airflow. The boots are then deflated to return the wing or surface to its optimal shape.

Several disadvantages are associated with the use of deicing boots. Boots need to be replaced frequently (on the order of 2–3 years, and require proper care. Holes in the boot may create air leaks that will decrease the effectiveness of the boots. As such, boots must be carefully inspected before each flight and any holes or cuts must be patched.

-Moe

Last edited:
This plane doesn't look like anything like the one I saw in Chicago, almost a year ago. Not that I have the room but I'm glad I didn't order the plane. If I were Zach, I'd return it to Hobby Bunker.

Brad

P.S. I will probably be getting a nastygram from Rick very soon {eek3}

Hi Brad,

I started to "like" your post. Then I realized that I was endorsing a nastygram to you!:redface2: Made me think of an old quip:

I did not attend his funeral; but I wrote a nice letter saying I approved of it. - Mark Twain

I regards to the Figarti weathering issue, this new B-25 just looks very overdone and haphazardly applied. I love the B-25 and would have ordered one could I have afforded it. I am glad I couldn't. There was also an issue, for me, with the earlier Elrod F4F Wildcat, which I didn't order because of the awful, black zebra striping that passes for weathering on it. All the different pictures I saw of it made these stripes stand out like a sore thumb. I am puzzled by Figarti as it makes outstanding looking aircraft but at times makes a complete wreck of the crucial paint job. Perhaps they should listen to the old adage that 'less is more', especially in regards to weathering. -- Al

I regards to the Figarti weathering issue, this new B-25 just looks very overdone and haphazardly applied. I love the B-25 and would have ordered one could I have afforded it. I am glad I couldn't. There was also an issue, for me, with the earlier Elrod F4F Wildcat, which I didn't order because of the awful, black zebra striping that passes for weathering on it. All the different pictures I saw of it made these stripes stand out like a sore thumb. I am puzzled by Figarti as it makes outstanding looking aircraft but at times makes a complete wreck of the crucial paint job. Perhaps they should listen to the old adage that 'less is more', especially in regards to weathering. -- Al

"Lancer":

Per the recent photos shown of the Figarti B-25 Bomber model here at this Thread I have to agree that the "weathering" does not look good and was not needed in any case. I may have to reconsider my Pre-Order of this model at Treefrog Treasures. I am disappointed to see these recent photos of the Figarti B-25 at this Thread I started back in early June 2014.

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back