B-25 USAAF Bombers coming for Doolittle's Raid? (1 Viewer)

"Lancer":

Per the recent photos shown of the Figarti B-25 Bomber model here at this Thread I have to agree that the "weathering" does not look good and was not needed in any case. I may have to reconsider my Pre-Order of this model at Treefrog Treasures. I am disappointed to see these recent photos of the Figarti B-25 at this Thread I started back in early June 2014.

"Iron Brigade" / Gary
Gary, unfortunately it looks as if there are going to be some disappointed people in regards to this model. Too bad because the 3 prototypes looked very good. Perhaps the added silver paint/weathering isn't as heavy on all examples. -- Al

Gary, unfortunately it looks as if there are going to be some disappointed people in regards to this model. Too bad because the 3 prototypes looked very good. Perhaps the added silver paint/weathering isn't as heavy on all examples. -- Al

"Lancer" / AL:

Thanks for your reply back to my comments. I just sent an E-mail to Julie at Treefrog Treasures about the recent photos that I just saw tonight at the Treefrog Forum noting the crazy "weathering" and that it did not match up with the photos shown on Treefrog Treaures sales web-site for these B-25 Bombers (or in actual WW2 photos). I requested that photos should be sent to me PRIOR to any shipment being sent to me. I had already set up an 28 by 22 inch display space and had purchased via eBay the autobiography by General Doolittle published in 1991 just two years prior to his death in 1993 at age 97 as I recall without looking it up. Oh well, let's see what happens. A buyer should not have to touch the paint job on a new model purchased for $369.00!

Gary

I almost got one, three of these, but resisted as planes are another storage headache. If I did get one, I would send immediately to my expert painting man to correct, knowing than I had a one off model. Understand the added cost should not be, however at least anyone hanging out for this plane, there importantly is one now available, all be it not well painted. I must admit I would not be happy if the item did not resemble the stock photo. Not good. Robin.

"Lancer" / AL:

Thanks for your reply back to my comments. I just sent an E-mail to Julie at Treefrog Treasures about the recent photos that I just saw tonight at the Treefrog Forum noting the crazy "weathering" and that it did not match up with the photos shown on Treefrog Treaures sales web-site for these B-25 Bombers (or in actual WW2 photos). I requested that photos should be sent to me PRIOR to any shipment being sent to me. I had already set up an 28 by 22 inch display space and had purchased via eBay the autobiography by General Doolittle published in 1991 just two years prior to his death in 1993 at age 97 as I recall without looking it up. Oh well, let's see what happens. A buyer should not have to touch the paint job on a new model purchased for $369.00!

Gary
Gary, I hope it all works out for you, and the others who have been waiting on this aircraft. Agree that for $369, the buyer shouldn't have to do cosmetic surgery. -- Al

Gary, I hope it all works out for you, and the others who have been waiting on this aircraft. Agree that for $369, the buyer shouldn't have to do cosmetic surgery. -- Al

"Lancer" / Al:

Over last night I decided to just bail out on my pre-order at Treefrog Treasures of the Doolittle B-25 Bomber set and the set of the two USN foot figures with one waving the go ahead flag and the one with poster showing wind speed, etc. I called Julie this just a short time ago to cancel my order of the two Figarti sets noted just above.

I got the Figarti P-38 Major Bong airplane back at the OTS Show in 2011. I am still happy with that set especially because of my Wisconsin connection with Major "Dick" Bong coming from the small town of Poplar, WI in N.W. part of Wisconsin. I was born in the S.E. part of Wisconsin and remember my father telling me about this Wisconsin WW2 hero back in 1950s. So I'll just stick with this Figarti airplane model and be happy.

Iron Brigade" / Gary

"Lancer" / Al:

Over last night I decided to just bail out on my pre-order at Treefrog Treasures of the Doolittle B-25 Bomber set and the set of the two USN foot figures with one waving the go ahead flag and the one with poster showing wind speed, etc. I called Julie this just a short time ago to cancel my order of the two Figarti sets noted just above.

I got the Figarti P-38 Major Bong airplane back at the OTS Show in 2011. I am still happy with that set especially because of my Wisconsin connection with Major "Dick" Bong coming from the small town of Poplar, WI in N.W. part of Wisconsin. I was born in the S.E. part of Wisconsin and remember my father telling me about this Wisconsin WW2 hero back in 1950s. So I'll just stick with this Figarti airplane model and be happy.

Iron Brigade" / Gary
Gary, that Bong P-38 is a beauty. I have always admired Bong and his friendly rival, Tom McGuire. I have liked the Figarti aircraft very much, from the P-38 and Owl to the F4F and B-25, but the truth is they were always too expensive for my wallet. Would have loved to had them all. The current problem is a real shame. Sorry you had to cancel as I'm sure it was a tough decision. -- Al

I still think this one is also terrible. It looks like they have been vandalised.
Mitch

Here's another pic from Hobby Bunker. Still too much silver but not nearly as ill think this one horrid as the one you actually got. I'd contact the dealer and ask for an exchange. Figarti is a little hit or miss on their weathering, and there seems to be a good deal of variation in exactly how the weathering comes out on the same models.

It could be better, but I could live with this model.

Figarti take note, tell your painters to stop using silver for weathering. It is failing more often than working on recent models.

7sfkDA.jpg

I have not really read any of the responses in this thread. I was told about the thread from some concerned people. I understand people were not happy with the paint job. The above photo was taken by me and originally posted on the HB forum.

Here is a customer testimonial just received.
"I received my plane today. It arrived in perfect scape. Congratulations to some unknown packaging engineer in China. Thanks for keeping me on the list. One thing; it looks like the landing gear is to be held in place by 3 set screws. There were no set screws in the box. Not a big deal; but, if you get sets of set screws send me a set. Thanks again, it is really nice. regards Ed"

The above came from one of my customers of fifteen years. To clarify the screws..there are none and none are needed. I sent 3 out locally that people have already received and I have not received and negative feedback. The original prototype had no weathering. Perhaps the new one has to much. I showed the 2 in the shop today. Most liked the "silvered" version. This is the same type of weathering that was on the Mosquito and some other models. Likes and complaints are personal opinions. Like it or don't.

I sell and collect toy soldiers. I collect for fun and if I like it. I sell things that I think other people will like.

Thank you for your time. You can email me at matt@hobbybunker.com with any concerns, as i do not log on to this forum very often.

It would be great to see some more pics of the model.:)

-Moe

That first plane looks pretty scratched up!
No doubt the planes would have suffered wear and tear sitting on the open decks. The complaint is the apparent amount. And a lot of the silver scratching evident on the models is on the leading edge of the wings where the black rubber de-icing boots are located. These would not scratch. The model is obviously a fine bit of work and the prototypes were very well finished. It is the general production paint job, specifically the weathering, that seems to be below par. -- Al

That first plane looks pretty scratched up!

"Hobby Bunker":

I can see your point about the first B-25 aboard the USN's Hornet in the photo which shows about the last 1/2 of the plane. However, the planes just behind the one you pointed out do not appear to have any lost of black paint on the front edge of their wings, etc. I was happy to purchase from you Figarti's Major Bong's P-38 at the Old Toy Soldier Show in 2011 at Schaumburg, IL. I was going to add the new Figarti B-25 as well, but I have canceled my pre-order on the Doolittle B-25 on 15 August 2014 and I will just go with my Figarti P-38.

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

I have both Mossies and while I thought the weathering was a bit heavy-handed, I could live with it. What we're seeing here is not comparable. This is just random paint thrown on.

I have not really read any of the responses in this thread. I was told about the thread from some concerned people. I understand people were not happy with the paint job. The above photo was taken by me and originally posted on the HB forum.

Here is a customer testimonial just received.
"I received my plane today. It arrived in perfect scape. Congratulations to some unknown packaging engineer in China. Thanks for keeping me on the list. One thing; it looks like the landing gear is to be held in place by 3 set screws. There were no set screws in the box. Not a big deal; but, if you get sets of set screws send me a set. Thanks again, it is really nice. regards Ed"

The above came from one of my customers of fifteen years. To clarify the screws..there are none and none are needed. I sent 3 out locally that people have already received and I have not received and negative feedback. The original prototype had no weathering. Perhaps the new one has to much. I showed the 2 in the shop today. Most liked the "silvered" version. This is the same type of weathering that was on the Mosquito and some other models. Likes and complaints are personal opinions. Like it or don't.

I sell and collect toy soldiers. I collect for fun and if I like it. I sell things that I think other people will like.

Thank you for your time. You can email me at matt@hobbybunker.com with any concerns, as i do not log on to this forum very often.

Great post from a stand-up guy who is a pillar of toy soldier collecting.

-PA

I just got a nice email from Peter at Figarti apologizing for the weathering on these. He said that quality control isn't what it should have been and these never should have been released. He said the new ones will be like the photos on the website. I am not sure where that leaves those of us with these silver ones...

I just got a nice email from Peter at Figarti apologizing for the weathering on these. He said that quality control isn't what it should have been and these never should have been released. He said the new ones will be like the photos on the website. I am not sure where that leaves those of us with these silver ones...
Well, at least there is the answer to what happened and a promise of corrected releases as Figarti owns up to the problem. I would hope that you will be able to exchange the model you now have if you are unhappy with it. Figarti should at least take care of those that paid in good faith for their models. Hope it works out for all concerned. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back