BALKANS and ITALIANS (1 Viewer)

Not interested in Italian troops. I would not buy them and I am sure they would not be big sellers. :);)

I hope K&C never makes them.:eek::eek::D

Hmmmm, interesting.
So following this line of logic, K&C shouldn't offer the following ranges simply because I'm not interested in them..?? (at the moment that is);

Modern Special Forces
Alamo
American Civil War
American Revolutionary War
Barbarians
LAH

Not a comprehensive list granted, but I hope you and others see my point. Just because I'm not personally interested in these ranges, I don't see why other collectors should be denied the opportunity to buy them.
And I don't think the fact that Italian troops in the Desert weren't particularly successful is a valid reason for not offering them to the buying public either.
ACW Confederates weren't all that successful either seeing as they ultimately lost their war. Doesn't seem to affect their popularity as Toy Soldiers does it..??
As to whether a few Italian Desert sets (vehicles, figures, whatever) would sell remains to be seen. I'm quite certain that the initial release of the FOB range was greeted with cries of "shock, horror" from the more, hmmm, "insular" members of our happy little collecting community - and it seems to sell okay.

I'm not particularly banging the drum for WWII Desert Italians, but why, when a certain person who constantly posts here comes up with a good suggestion for once, is he instantly beat-up on by some..??
Just a thought.

Cheers
H

I have been on the FORUM for almost a year and there is one thing I can’t understand. WHY people here are so sensible, they take small things very personal and then became upset…. Very weird…..

I think nobody try to be against Italians, British, Americans or Zimbabweans, We just try to share our lovely Hobby, pictures, comments, onions, dioramas etc . As an Eastern Front fanatic admire, I don’t get it, why K&C will produce an Italian range stead of ANY European east front? I repeated again the Italians participation in WWII was very MEDIOCRE.

Stead to asking for North Africa Italians, we should give a chance and try to have just one series from the East, example PAULUS 6TH ARMY the best ARMY Nazi Germany ever had.

Sorry for poor English.

Rod.

"ACW Confederates weren't all that successful either seeing as they ultimately lost their war. Doesn't seem to affect their popularity as Toy Soldiers does it..??"

Great point, but according to some southerners, even today the war still rages in their eyes (or should say mind)!:rolleyes:

Saw a big tractor trailer truck with Georgia plates on the highway awhile ago with a big banner on the rear of the trailer that showed the southern battle flag (the stars and bars) with the words "Fighting terrorism since 1861" underneath.

Yep, The Civil War still rages on for some in this country...............

I have been on the FORUM for almost a year and there is one thing I can’t understand. WHY people here are so sensible, they take small things very personal and then became upset…. Very weird…..

I think nobody try to be against Italians, British, Americans or Zimbabweans, We just try to share our lovely Hobby, pictures, comments, onions, dioramas etc . As an Eastern Front fanatic admire, I don’t get it, why K&C will produce an Italian range stead of ANY European east front? I repeated again the Italians participation in WWII was very MEDIOCRE.

Stead to asking for North Africa Italians, we should give a chance and try to have just one series from the East, example PAULUS 6TH ARMY the best ARMY Nazi Germany ever had.

Sorry for poor English.

Rod.

Rod,

I certainly agre with your assessment that many of the forum members tend to be a bit too sensitive. However, the question of whether to produce Italian North African troops as opposed to more Eastern front troops has little to do with the sensibilities of collectors, and a lot to do with what sells. Regardless of the merits of Paulus' 6th Army in comparison to the Italians in North Africa, North Africa sells, while Russia does not.

Why? Most collectors are American, British, or from one of the commonwealth nations, so the campaigns that appeal to them are the ones in which their nations were involved. In North Africa, there were also some of the big name personalities of the war, from Rommell and Montgomery through Cunningham, Auchlincheck, Percival-Wavell, to Major Sterling, Bagnold, and the SAS and Long Range Desert Group.

Whether or not the Italians fought well, they were the principal enemy fought in terms of numbers of men and equipment. The vast majority of the troops Rommell commanded were Italians. So if, like me, your passion is the North African Campaign, Italian troops, armored vehicles, soft skinned vehicles, and aircraft are a must.

Since North Africa is the second biggest selling WWII campaign after Western Europe, and Eastern Europe is dead last after the Pacific, expect to see Italian North African stuff to be more commonly produced than Eastern front stuff.

Louis,

I'm not so sure you're correct about how Paulus' 6th Army would fare ( in sales) against North African Theater Italian Army. I find it hard to believe some gritty looking German troops in trenchcoats or winter white camo (which could double as BOB soldiers) would be outsold by Italian Army in North Africa. A poll of 50-60 collectors on this website hardly gives an assessment of the total King and Country market. I believe it's the WWII Russians that are the least popular (which is a shame).

FWIW, I would purchase Italians in North Africa before Germans in Stalingrad. Of course, I like the Desert War more than any other series so I'm biased. However, if I had to rank them, after Desert War, comes Dunkirk, Battle of the Bulge, D Day and then Eastern Front. Please note I am talking campaigns, not ranges.

To confuse things further, there were also Italian troops on the eastern front. I'm not sure why KC is so reluctant to make a set now and again of something other than Germans, Brits, or Americans. It doesn't have to be an entire line. Just a three figure set of something different would be a nice change.

I would rate my interest in the various WWII theatres as:

1. Eastern Europe
  2. Western Europe
  3. North Africa
  4. Italy
  5. Pacific

I suppose the reason I'm so interested in the eastern theatre is its lesser known nature which makes it a more challenging to research.

Frank

"ACW Confederates weren't all that successful either seeing as they ultimately lost their war. Doesn't seem to affect their popularity as Toy Soldiers does it..??"

Great point, but according to some southerners, even today the war still rages in their eyes (or should say mind)!:rolleyes:

Saw a big tractor trailer truck with Georgia plates on the highway awhile ago with a big banner on the rear of the trailer that showed the southern battle flag (the stars and bars) with the words "Fighting terrorism since 1861" underneath.

Yep, The Civil War still rages on for some in this country...............

Aye, well, ummm....I don't need a "Redneck" contract out on me, not on top of the present one the "The Angry People" clubbed together for so's they can obtain my heid in a basket.

Johnny Reb just happened to be the first example that sprang to mind as I was making the keyboard smoke. Suppose I could have mentioned that Paulus and his band of merry men weren't too successful at Stalingrad either, but God knows who I might have upset then.....(as if I care).

Combat makes a good point. I don't think anyone is advocating an Italian range as such, just a few different sets for the WWII Desert War.

Thing is, as TS collectors, we'll always have our favourites. WWII Desert War happens to be only one of mine and I'd like to see a few Italian sets just to round things out and make my dioramas more representative of that particular conflict.

Happy Collecting Y'All
H

It must be difficult getting the balance right,you are always going to please some folk and upset others.If Andy released some Italians John would be a happy man whilst others would be saying 'Wheres my AK troops'?.And lets be honest if the chap at the top knows what sells, well thats what he's going to do.Its ok for us to say why don't you try doing this or that range, but is it financially viable to do it?.I'd be happy for a NA Italian release further down the line,i'd love to see more BR1,EA,AK first as for me these are the main forces in question.And we desperately need British armour before we need Italian.Again no offence to any Italian forum members,just my opinion.:)

Rob

Rob, I don't collect allied armor but I do agree that the Brit's have been short changed in the tank section recently. I don't think it's a big secret that we are all asking for sets that we are personally interested in, but at the end of the day K & C must focus mainly on what sells best. Which doesn't mean that from time to time they won't release something different just for a change.

I was initially concerned about the increase in ranges such as the 'Crusaders' as I believed this would reduce the number of new sets released in the range(s) I am interested in. However the success of the Crusaders range has indicated that there are enough collectors and production facilities to ensure such variety can be maintained.

I personally can't see much point in producing sets with limited appeal such as the Indian Machine Gun set in the 8th Army range. However there are no doubt many collectors that were very pleased that K & C made that set. I suspect K & C will continue to focus on what they know will sell, but now and again they put something on the market for the sake of variety. And as long as it actually existed I don't have a problem with that - but that's just me :p

Of course you are right Oz,we are all (me especially!)only interested in what we want to see when all is said and done.Its a sign of our passion with the product i guess that keeps us wanting the supplier to not deviate at all,heaven forbid there are other collectors but me!!!:eek::D;)

It can't be easy when you have people clamouring for Naps,WW1,WW2,Crusaders,ACW etc etc,to choose just where to turn your attention next.I guess us WW2 collectors are lucky Andy has a big interest in the period.So in a complete and utter U-Turn and in the spirit that there is room for all i say

BRING ON THE ITALIANS!!(After some Brit tanks!):D;)

Do you not collect any allied armour at all then Oz?

Rob

Do you not collect any allied armour at all then Oz?

Rob

Hi Rob, I have sold or swapped all my allied vehicle and figure sets in 1:30/32 scale except for the K & C Dingo as I intend to only collect German and ANZAC sets in 1:30 scale. I made the decision to limit my 1/30 focus in view of the ever increasing number of sets from the different manufacturers in this scale as I don't have the space to include the vehicles and soldiers from all the different countries in WWII.

However I do have enough space for a good mix in the smaller scales. I have heaps of Solido/Verem and Corgi 'allied' tanks etc in my 1/50 collection. And numerous 1/72 scale allied military vehicles together with dozens of allied aircraft in 1/72, the British bombers being my favourites.

I hear you Oz.I collect K&C Tanks from all their ranges as well as a few from HB/NMA and recently Figarti.However all my collection is upstairs in one room and the fact is sooner or later i will run out of space,the thought of stopping collecting.....can't even think about it:eek:;).

1/72 scale is a good idea,the quality and choice in these vehicles is a quantum leap from when i was a kid.

Rob

I think nobody try to be against Italians, British, Americans or Zimbabweans, We just try to share our lovely Hobby, pictures, comments, onions, dioramas etc .
Rod.

You noticed it as well Rod, the almost ludicrous, "Oh, I really must make sure that I don't insult in even the slightest way someone who might or might not have had a Great-Great-Great Granny who may or may not have come over on the boat from some dustbowl in the w** peninsula."
This is exactly the point that Damian made in some other thread. Its got to the ridiculous point where people are made to feel they ought to apologise before they post anything that has a shred of OPINION in it.
Absolute nonsense.

If people are as sensitive as to take offence at a reasonable discussion about what some collectors would like to see offered by K&C in future, then the question ought to be asked, what are they doing collecting miniature figurines that depict warfare and savagery in the first place..??
Poor sensitive dears.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Not that anyone should take it that I'm insulting sensitive people here - with all due respect for such creatures.

Cheers
H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back