Band of Brothers (1 Viewer)

lancer

Lieutenant General
If looking for something to watch today, The History Channel is running Band of Brothers all day, all episodes. Episode 1 started at 8Am EST and the marathon runs until almost 11PM tonight. Currahee and Merry Christmas all. -- Al

Yes, excellent series! I rewatched it back at Veterans' Day, then re-read Ambrose's book. It's interesting to see the changes made for dramatic effect, between the book and the series.

Prost!
Brad

Al, if you get HBO, you can watch whenever you choose.

Al, if you get HBO, you can watch whenever you choose.
Thanks, Brad. Unfortunately, HBO went bye-bye in a cost cutting measure a couple of years back. I have cable but no extra movie channels, so I have to depend on what is broadcast by whatever stations I get, and it's still too expensive.:rolleyes2: -- Al

I cut the cable 12 years ago. It took me 5 years to work up to it, from the time I thought I would do it. I was tired of paying 80 bucks a month for a lot of content I didn't want. I anticipated the scenario we have today, that there would be content provided online and a la carte to compete with the cable companies. The only thing I hadn't thought of was the production companies offering that content.

Anyway, I decided back then that I would buy DVDs of whatever content I really wanted, content I would watch over and over. They I could avoid subscriptions. I finally broke that custom a couple weeks ago, to subscribe to Disney+ so I could watch "The Mandalorian." I don't intend to keep the subscription, because most of Disney+'s content doesn't interest me. Regarding "Band of Brothers", I bought myself the DVD set 4 or 5 years ago. I like having the extra content that's on the discs, too, that you don't necessarily get from broadcasters.

Prost!
Brad

So what's your favorite episode? There's lots of action episodes, but my favorite was about, the soldiers had to capture prisoners in an observation post near the end of war. They successfully completed the mission, but the commanding officer wanted another similar mission the next night. Winter's knew the war was ending and didn't want to risk his troops again, so told his troops to pretend they went on that mission. I love that episode, cause Winter's realized the mission really didn't matter and protected his soldiers. It took a lot of guts.
Not only that, but there was a scene where a soldier threw grenade and didn't wait for it to explode, opened the door, which grenade blew up in his face. Very realistic.

So what's your favorite episode? There's lots of action episodes, but my favorite was about, the soldiers had to capture prisoners in an observation post near the end of war. They successfully completed the mission, but the commanding officer wanted another similar mission the next night. Winter's knew the war was ending and didn't want to risk his troops again, so told his troops to pretend they went on that mission. I love that episode, cause Winter's realized the mission really didn't matter and protected his soldiers. It took a lot of guts.
Not only that, but there was a scene where a soldier threw grenade and didn't wait for it to explode, opened the door, which grenade blew up in his face. Very realistic.

That is one of my favorite episodes as well, favorite being the assault on the guns at Brecourt Manor. Interesting note, Webster, according to his book Parachute Infantry one of Ambrose's main sources, didn't go on the raid. Manned a machine gun in a house overlooking the river. I had the honor to meet four of the BoB, including BUck Compton, at a gun/militaria show yrs ago. Chris

Another favorite: The soldiers were approaching a house and one of the guys got shot in the neck. After they secured the area, one of guys tried lighting a cigarette and was so shaky, he couldn't light it. What realism!

Have both Band of Brothers & the Pacific series DVD sets and thoroughly enjoy both. Two outstanding series well worth watching.

This is an old thread but BOB and Pacific are now on Netflix too.

This is an old thread but BOB and Pacific are now on Netflix too.

Great series, i went old school and bought the DVDs, same with the Sharpe and Hornblower series. Other ones i bought were Justified and Hatfield & McCoy [which is a great under rated series]. One off payments and there are many extras on the DVDs. Do not tend to watch much TV, tends to be full of reality shows, game shows and soap operas, not forgetting some form of crime show, some form of NCIS or in the UK the laid back policeman and the sidekick, Vera is a big one, as was Broadchurch, they are great cops as they can solve a case in under an hour, hahah, but do love the series Endeavour. I cannot stand 'Murder She Wrote or Miss Marple type of shows, we have loads of them in the UK, do miss series like The Sweeney, Hill Street Blues, The Professionals. Who [will mainly be UK] remembers Minder, Shoestring and Hazel?

Last edited:
So what's your favorite episode?

Ha ha- well,,,,,having run a version of Currahee mountain when I was with the 506th on some random Friday morning PT run, my favorite is I believe the 2nd episode where Sobel is yelling at the guys and they are all puking and then they start calling a Blood on the Risers cadence- just fantastic scene- and I still enjoy playing that cadence over and over.

-----OR--------

The scene where they are road marching through England and the one jumper is imitating Colonel Sink from behind the bushes and has Sobel all frustrated- reminded me of so many FTX's with ate up LT's who were lost in the woods and we gave them the business. That scene is priceless.

The Currahee mountain I ran had stretches on it where it seemed you could reach out in front of you and touch the hardball it was that steep. Just suuuucckkkkked. {sm4}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back