Barksdale's Charge, July 2nd, 1863 (1 Viewer)

Warrior

Lieutenant General
Late in the afternoon on July 2nd, William Barksdales 1,600 men from the 13th, 17th, 18th and 21st MS emerged from Pitzer's Woods and began their attack towards the Peach Orchard. Barksdales men slammed into the III Corps at the salient and pushed them back, rolling up the Union line in the process.

Barksdale continued the attack parallel to the Emmitsburg Road past the Sherfy farm towards the Union line at Cemetery Ridge. He pushed the attack forward with the 13th, 17th and 18th MS,while the 21st MS broke off and advanced towards the Trostle Farm.

Barksdale then wheeled his men towards the Plum Run line, parallel to the 21st MS.

The 21st MS attacked towards the Trostle Farm, charging towards Bigelow's battery, 6 guns positioned across the road from the farm. The 21st attacked the battery with bayonets fixed.

Two of Bigelows guns were withdrawn, the other four were captured; beyond his battery was Watsons, supported by the 39th NY, the 21st MS was finally stopped along this line.

Last edited:
Further to the north, the batteries of Dow, Phillips and Thompson, known as McGivery's Gun Line, was supported by 125th NY from Willards Brigade. This artillery line plugged the gap in the Union line and raked the charging Confederates.

Last edited:
The 111th and 126th NY from Willard's Brigade fought Barksdale's men along Plum Run, firing at each other from behind trees and brush.

Last edited:
Barksdale, waving his hat, urged his men on towards the Union lines, while more Union troops came up to support the position.

Barksdale was wounded three times in the attack, the last was one to his chest, he fell of his horse as his men and the attack began to falter, he would die as a result of his wounds.

Barksdale's Charge will be forever known as The grandest charge ever seen by mortal men.

Excellently set up and narrated George. I have always thought that it was the second day that defined Gettysburg, especailly with charges like that led by Barksdale. Very panoramic . . . . .
:smile2: Mike

George as usual mate these are just fantastic shots, whenever I look at your scenes I wonder if I collect the right scale! Superb these shots George, thanks for posting.^&cool

Rob

Excellently set up and narrated George. I have always thought that it was the second day that defined Gettysburg, especailly with charges like that led by Barksdale. Very panoramic . . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Thanks Mike; some would argue that the 2nd day at Gettysburg was the high water mark of the Confederacy, with the 21st MS penetrating furthest into the Union lines.

George as usual mate these are just fantastic shots, whenever I look at your scenes I wonder if I collect the right scale! Superb these shots George, thanks for posting.^&cool

Rob

Thanks Rob, glad you like it. For me, 20mm is the way to go, but for just about everyone else, 54mm-60mm is...................

Late in the afternoon on July 2nd, William Barksdales 1,600 men from the 13th, 17th, 18th and 21st MS emerged from Pitzer's Woods and began their attack towards the Peach Orchard. Barksdales men slammed into the III Corps at the salient and pushed them back, rolling up the Union line in the process.

Barksdale continued the attack parallel to the Emmitsburg Road past the Sherfy farm towards the Union line at Cemetery Ridge. He pushed the attack forward with the 13th, 17th and 18th MS,while the 21st MS broke off and advanced towards the Trostle Farm.

Barksdale then wheeled his men towards the Plum Run line, parallel to the 21st MS.

Small but Great :smile2:
Faithfully
Valmy

Just a fantastic dio, it is really great and the history line that goes with it. How many figures are there on the dio table? Also who are the figues made by? Thank You: "Mr Colt 45"

Just a fantastic dio, it is really great and the history line that goes with it. How many figures are there on the dio table? Also who are the figues made by? Thank You: "Mr Colt 45"

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it. There are about 2,500 figures in this one. There are many different manufacturers in my collection; Qualitycast, Confederals, Frontier, MiniFigs, Musket Miniatures, RSM Miniatures, Newline Designs, Kennington Miniatures mostly. Most are still in production, all of the figures are metal.

You've done it once again George featuring your mini Yanks and Rebs very nicely staged an photograph with it's historical tale....Joe:salute:::salute:::salute:::salute:::salute:::salute::

You've done it once again George featuring your mini Yanks and Rebs very nicely staged an photograph with it's historical tale....Joe:salute:::salute:::salute:::salute:::salute:::salute::

Thanks Joe, hope you're doing well, take care of yourself and thanks again for the comments..........

Superb battle scenes as usual George. The shear number of figures and terrain you display never fails to impress! {bravo}}

Jeff :salute::

Superb battle scenes as usual George. The shear number of figures and terrain you display never fails to impress! {bravo}}

Jeff :salute::

Thanks Jeff, always appreciate you taking the time to view my dioramas and comment on them...............

I have to say George that you must have steady hands and a lot of patients to set all that lot up!

Again, another goody in the basement!

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back