Baseball 2011 (7 Viewers)

The no name Mets beat the laden stars of the Yanks last night. This Mets team is a scrappy bunch. They may lose the next two or even go on to have a crappy season but they're playing hard and making the most of they have: good pitching and a little hitting.

Latest Guthrie-watch rant. Again the O's did it! Guthrie pitches a complete game and, take a wild guess, losses 3-0, leaving his record at 1-6. His run support is now under 2 runs per start. With his ERA at 3.98, he is doomed unless he pitches a shutout. I don't think the O's have scored a single run for him in his last 3 starts. Come on.:mad: -- Al
Well, praise be! Th O's won a game for Guthrie. He went 7 innings, 0 ER and got the win.^&grin -- Al

The season has reached the 30% gone mark. Pretty well know what kind of teams we have now but the AL looks to be a poster-child for parity with 11 of the 14 teams being within 4 games of .500 and 2 of the others, within 5. Only Cleveland is getting some separation. Looks like the AL East and West are going to be season long dog-fights. I see the possibility of Boston being able to improve their record and possibly gaining some separation, the Bronx Bombers are another matter. I don't have confidence in the pitching staff. This still needs to be addressed IMO. The O's are improved but still are not contenders as the pitching has not performed as expected, by me anyway. Now, get the pitching on track and Roberts and Markakis hitting consistently, things could change. My team in the NL, the Nationals, have some decent pitching but unless someone can figure out how to swing a bat, there is no hope. Still, pitching could get them near .500 for the season. Maybe. Time to get serious as it is no longer early. -- Al

The Bronx Bombers are another matter. I don't have confidence in the pitching staff. This still needs to be addressed IMO. Al

Fear not Al; at the trading deadline, the Yankees will grab two stud pitchers from small market teams who either have bloated contracts or are about to hit free agency for six bags of balls, nine bats and seven cases of chewing gum like they always manage to do.....................

Fear not Al; at the trading deadline, the Yankees will grab two stud pitchers from small market teams who either have bloated contracts or are about to hit free agency for six bags of balls, nine bats and seven cases of chewing gum like they always manage to do.....................
Hmm. I see a pitcher named Cliff Lee has a losing record with the Phillies. Maybe the Yankees can swoop in and work a trade for him. BWahahahahahaa.... -- Al

It's either that or Kevin Millwood. {eek3} -- Al

The Red Sox are two blown holds in the 8th inning away from a 12 game winning streak.

No one in the AL has a front three like Buckholtz, Beckett and Lester.

The Indians, aka, the team with the best record in the AL, scored 1, 1 and 0 runs vs these three this past series.

The Red Sox are two blown holds in the 8th inning away from a 12 game winning streak.

No one in the AL has a front three like Buckholtz, Beckett and Lester.

The Indians, aka, the team with the best record in the AL, scored 1, 1 and 0 runs vs these three this past series.
No doubt the BoSox got the goods when it comes to starting pitching. Scary as those three are, if the staff had a healthy Matsuzaka and Lackey, the Sox wouldn't need a bullpen outside of Papelbon. Plus, that geezer Wakefield can still through a mean butterfly when needed. Just lots of great starting pitching, which wins pennants. Beginning to see a Red Sox vs. Phillies WS. -- Al

Al,
Dice K may need surgery on his elbow, which would be the end of his time in Boston as he'll be out over a year and Lackey has been a disaster so far, not to mention other than the closer, the bullpen has been a mess, hence the two blown holds this past week..........................

Al,
Dice K may need surgery on his elbow, which would be the end of his time in Boston as he'll be out over a year and Lackey has been a disaster so far, not to mention other than the closer, the bullpen has been a mess, hence the two blown holds this past week..........................

George,

In the playoffs, you can win it all with 3 top starters and a closer. Add to that a good solid lineup and your Sox look good this season.

The Yankees are short at least one top starter, and a reliable DH (Posada is a dead loss). I just don't know if a true ace caliber starter will be available at the trade deadline, and I just don't see the Yankees doing anything without one (in my opinion CC is the best #2 in the league, but can't really match up with and beat a true ace, Burnett is too unreliable, and who knows if Bartolo Colon can stay healthy for the entire season and post season).

George,

In the playoffs, you can win it all with 3 top starters and a closer. Add to that a good solid lineup and your Sox look good this season.

The Yankees are short at least one top starter, and a reliable DH (Posada is a dead loss). I just don't know if a true ace caliber starter will be available at the trade deadline, and I just don't see the Yankees doing anything without one (in my opinion CC is the best #2 in the league, but can't really match up with and beat a true ace, Burnett is too unreliable, and who knows if Bartolo Colon can stay healthy for the entire season and post season).
I keep telling the Bombers (thru ESP{eek3}) to trade for Guthrie. He is the best O's starter but also the oldest at 32. I don't know where his contract stands but he could probably be had if the O's go down the tubes early. His record isn't much because the O's are, well, the O's. His ERA is competitive, has good control and eats innings. Has a penchant for gopher balls, though. Give Cashman a call and let me know what happens.:wink2: -- Al

I keep telling the Bombers (thru ESP{eek3}) to trade for Guthrie. He is the best O's starter but also the oldest at 32. I don't know where his contract stands but he could probably be had if the O's go down the tubes early. His record isn't much because the O's are, well, the O's. His ERA is competitive, has good control and eats innings. Has a penchant for gopher balls, though. Give Cashman a call and let me know what happens.:wink2: -- Al

Al,

I know you love Guthrie, but he is not a true ace. The Yanks need a Doc Halliday or Cliff Lee type - a guy who will shut the other team down, no matter how good their lineup. My dream would be to get Felix Hernandez in pinstripes. The Yankees have the farm system to do it, but if I was Seattle I wouldn't give him up.

Al,

I know you love Guthrie, but he is not a true ace. The Yanks need a Doc Halliday or Cliff Lee type - a guy who will shut the other team down, no matter how good their lineup. My dream would be to get Felix Hernandez in pinstripes. The Yankees have the farm system to do it, but if I was Seattle I wouldn't give him up.
I know. I'm just trying to get Guthrie to a team where he might get some wins and turn into a true ace. It ain't gonna happen in Balmer. -- Al

Baltimore is at .500! 24-24 through 30% of the season. At this point last season, the record was a disaster and the Birds were 18 (thats right, 18) games out of 1st place. Only 4 games back right now. Pretty impressive. -- Al

I have to state that I am enjoying the lower offensive numbers in baseball. The return of actual pitching duals has been a very welcome occurrence for me. Just as an example, the Nationals have engaged in two 1 run games in a row, winning one 2-1 and losing one 2-1. Both quick, well played and pitched games. The long, offensive filled games of the past caused me to find other things to do because I do not very often want to commit to watching a game for 4 hours. A fast, well pitched, low scoring game (2 or 2 1/2 hours) is a thing of beauty for me. The team batting averages in baseball this season remind me of 1968, a season I loved, (I still can't figure out how Bob Gibson lost 9 games with an ERA of 1.12{eek3}). It was a great season and I am enjoying this one almost as much. Are there other pitching lovers out there, besides me?^&grin -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back