Baseball 2011 (8 Viewers)

:mad: The O's did to him, again, last night. Guthrie pitched 7 decent innings, gave up 4 runs, and left trailing 4-0 as the O's couldn't score while he was in the game. Took the loss and is now 1-4 with an ERA of 3.00. This really has a detrimental effect on my morale.:mad: Come on NYY, trade for Guthrie. I want to see him win. -- Al
Latest Guthrie-watch rant. Again the O's did it! Guthrie pitches a complete game and, take a wild guess, losses 3-0, leaving his record at 1-6. His run support is now under 2 runs per start. With his ERA at 3.98, he is doomed unless he pitches a shutout. I don't think the O's have scored a single run for him in his last 3 starts. Come on.:mad: -- Al

Too bad the Red Sox can't play the Yankees everyday, 4-1 so far this year, Sherman Klump threw nice meatball right down broadway to Gonzalez, what a bomb that was...............

Been reading all of the "Posadagate" stuff today.

And LMFAO.

Next on deck "Jetergate", "CCKlumpgate" and the best of all "A-Roidgate", ie, the Yankees trying to deal with an overpaid underachieving superstar past his prime still owed a ton of dough.

Priceless................

Been reading all of the "Posadagate" stuff today.

And LMFAO.

Next on deck "Jetergate", "CCKlumpgate" and the best of all "A-Roidgate", ie, the Yankees trying to deal with an overpaid underachieving superstar past his prime still owed a ton of dough.

Priceless................
Right. It's a good thing that the Red Sox don't have those kind of problems, unless one counts the contracts to Crawford or Lackey.:rolleyes2: Still think it will be a good race. It is still kinda soon to count someone out. Watch them O's.{sm3} -- Al

Right. It's a good thing that the Red Sox don't have those kind of problems, unless one counts the contracts to Crawford or Lackey.:rolleyes2: Still think it will be a good race. It is still kinda soon to count someone out. Watch them O's.{sm3} -- Al

The Red Sox don't have big money tied up in players who are either past their prime (Posada, Jeter), on the decline (A-Roid, who is not the same player now that he is off the PED's) or will be past their prime when their deal is up (Sherman Klump).

Big difference, as in night and day.

Not to mention next year Ortiz and Drew will be off the books, ie, two players past their prime by then.

And kudos to Cashman for calling out Posada; between not wanting to sign Soriano, resign Jeter or drop a dump truck full of money in front of A-Roid, he calls them like he sees them.

Can't wait to read his book once he leaves the Yankees...........

The Red Sox don't have big money tied up in players who are either past their prime (Posada, Jeter), on the decline (A-Roid, who is not the same player now that he is off the PED's) or will be past their prime when their deal is up (Sherman Klump).

Big difference, as in night and day.

Not to mention next year Ortiz and Drew will be off the books, ie, two players past their prime by then.

And kudos to Cashman for calling out Posada; between not wanting to sign Soriano, resign Jeter or drop a dump truck full of money in front of A-Roid, he calls them like he sees them.

Can't wait to read his book once he leaves the Yankees...........

It was kinda nice when the Red Sox got off to their horrible start, you were only talking about toy soldiers then. No Yankee fan from the forum ,talked trash against your team during those days. Slumps happen often for no good reasons. Yanks right now are just pulling a " Red Sox moment" and nothing more sinister than that..Michael

It was kinda nice when the Red Sox got off to their horrible start, you were only talking about toy soldiers then. No Yankee fan from the forum ,talked trash against your team during those days. Slumps happen often for no good reasons. Yanks right now are just pulling a " Red Sox moment" and nothing more sinister than that..Michael

Yeah, it's been a regular Hell on earth for Yankee fans the past 83 years..............

The rest of the nation sits on the edge of our seats as the Yanks and Sox play again on national TV. I just can't get enough of the rivalry...the intrigue...the story lines...heck, ESPN even featured a MINOR LEAGUE brawl between the two clubs.

I'm not sure why any other team even bothers to play...

Go Brewers!

There is no soap opera like th AL East. Season after season, it's where the action is. Can't win all the WS but the AL East sure owns the lion's share of them.:wink2:^&grin -- Al

There is no soap opera like th AL East. Season after season, it's where the action is. Can't win all the WS but the AL East sure owns the lion's share of them.:wink2:^&grin -- Al
In the spirit of the above post, had a look at the overall standings and the impression is there are a lot of teams capable of making the races interesting this season. Out of 14 AL teams, 8 of them are within 3 games of .500, ( 4 of them in the AL East). In the NL, 12 of the 16 teams are within 5 games of .500. All this just points to a lot of teams that might be able to influence the races if those teams can continue to string decent baseball games together. At this point there are just a couple of teams that seem incapable of effective baseball for the length of the season. Of course, the long season will shake out the real winners, but all these average teams are going to make things interesting for a while. -- Al

The recent flounderings of the Yankees may be indicative of the aging process.

The recent flounderings of the Yankees may be indicative of the aging process.
I agree. Age gets them all in the end, except, from results so far, Mariano Rivera. Jeter seems to be heating up but I still think their pitching needs to be addressed. -- Al

Hi, George. The Bosox hung an ugly loss on my O's last night. O's were up 6-0 going into the bottom of the 6th. I don't know why the starting pitcher, Tillman, was taken out (pitch count?) but he was doing real well. Naturally it was all down hill once the relievers took over, as the Sox scored 5 runs in the bottom of the 6th, culminating in a walk off win in the bottom of the 9th for the Bosox, 8-7. Those O's can sure try my patience.:mad::rolleyes2: -- Al

Hi, George. The Bosox hung an ugly loss on my O's last night. O's were up 6-0 going into the bottom of the 6th. I don't know why the starting pitcher, Tillman, was taken out (pitch count?) but he was doing real well. Naturally it was all down hill once the relievers took over, as the Sox scored 5 runs in the bottom of the 6th, culminating in a walk off win in the bottom of the 9th for the Bosox, 8-7. Those O's can sure try my patience.:mad::rolleyes2: -- Al

I was there to see it, luckily in a luxury box as the weather was awful, more like November than May, got the tickets thanks to my girlfriend, one of her corporate accounts gave us 10 tickets, so her, I and a posse of friends went to the game.

Hang in there Al, this version of the Orioles is vastly better than people give them credit for.

And not to get Michael torked off, but I couldn't help but comment on this story; seems Hank Steinbrenner is upset, saying the following prior to last nights game "It's early, but this team needs to get it together, we've got too much talent to be swept by anybody at Yankee Stadium, even if we're playing the '27 Yankees"..................

WHAT??

THOSE '27 Yankees, the Ruth/Gehrig, 110-44, "Murders Row" '27 Yankees?

Wow Hank, whatever you're smoking, I want some.

Then the 2011 Yankees went out and played like the 1972 Bad News Bears and lost their 6th strait, 6-5 to the Rays..............{sm4}

gotta admit, the Phils don't look as dominant as many- myself included- were predicting.

Same deal with the Red Sox, it took them six weeks to get above 500.

That is why they play the games, no one ever won a thing on paper.

gotta admit, the Phils don't look as dominant as many- myself included- were predicting.
Wouldn't worry too much about the Phils. That pitching staff will carry them through. As long as the staff stays healthy, I like the Phils odds. Even the lowly Nats are hanging in because of decent pitching, which is fortunate for them because the Nats can't hit their way out of a wet paper bag. -- Al

Oh, the agony. Inter-league play and the O's get to host the major's worst hitting team, the Nationals. The Nats just lost two games 1-0, back to back, coming into Baltimore. Perfect for the O's, right? Wrong. Right now it is 15-5, Nats, top of the 8th. Ties the record for most runs in the Nats franchise history.:mad: The Nat's Werth had a total of 6 Hr this season until he came to Baltimore. Now he has 8 after his first multi-Hr game this season. The O's sure can test the loyalty of their fans.:mad: -- Al

Oh, the agony. Inter-league play and the O's get to host the major's worst hitting team, the Nationals. The Nats just lost two games 1-0, back to back, coming into Baltimore. Perfect for the O's, right? Wrong. Right now it is 15-5, Nats, top of the 8th. Ties the record for most runs in the Nats franchise history.:mad: The Nat's Werth had a total of 6 Hr this season until he came to Baltimore. Now he has 8 after his first multi-Hr game this season. The O's sure can test the loyalty of their fans.:mad: -- Al

Al, I'm starting to feel the wheels getting loose on the wagon:( our O's have been spanked 2 nights in a row, after that heart breaker to the Yanks, I'm hang'n in there, but we better pull off some wins right now or it's gonna get real bad real quick...Sammy

Al, I'm starting to feel the wheels getting loose on the wagon:( our O's have been spanked 2 nights in a row, after that heart breaker to the Yanks, I'm hang'n in there, but we better pull off some wins right now or it's gonna get real bad real quick...Sammy
The ride IS starting to wobble. The O's bull pen has been getting mugged of late which means none of the main ingredients are working right now. The hitting has improved only a little since the start, not nearly enough to carry the team when the pitching is going poorly as it is now. I am most upset that the pitching is not doing the job I think that I thought could be done. Only Britton (a rookie who wasn't in the pre-season equation) and Guthrie (don't get me started, he should have 5 or 6 wins, not losses) are doing the job. Arieta, and especially Bergesen and Tillman, have been disappointments. Still waiting for Matusz (what's up with that?) to recover from what I thought was a minor problem. It's about time to find some bull pen help because the O's can't keep running Berken (7.94 ERA), Gonzalez (8.59 ERA), Rapada (9.39 ERA), and Jakubaukas (7.59 ERA) out of the bull pen to throw gasoline on to the fire. These men just can't get an out! I'm still hopeful that it can turn around like the end of last season, but I am losing faith in them. :( -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back