Baseball 2011 (2 Viewers)

Since 1900, only two shortstops aged 36 or over have hit .300 or better for a full season (Honus Wagner and the Cleveland Indians Shortstop in 1949, whose name escapes me).

Lou Boudreau was the Indians shortstop in 1949, he was in his early 30's at the time, not sure if that was him.

Absolutely amazing what the Yankees have gotten out of the corpes of Colon, Garcia, Jones, Posada, Martin and Chavez this year, what can you say other than that's baseball, by all rights they should be 10 games out of first place with their age, injuries and that rotation, but here they sit in first place with the best record in the AL................unreal.

Lou Boudreau was the Indians shortstop in 1949, he was in his early 30's at the time, not sure if that was him.

Absolutely amazing what the Yankees have gotten out of the corpes of Colon, Garcia, Jones, Posada, Martin and Chavez this year, what can you say other than that's baseball, by all rights they should be 10 games out of first place with their age, injuries and that rotation, but here they sit in first place with the best record in the AL................unreal.

It was the White Sox shortstop, Luke Appling. Sorry, my mistake.

You are correct about the Yankees playing way beyond expectations. When Cliff Lee signed with the Phillies, I pretty much thought the Yankees were done this year. However, I just don't see them getting out of the first round of the playoffs with this pitching staff.

You are correct about the Yankees playing way beyond expectations. When Cliff Lee signed with the Phillies, I pretty much thought the Yankees were done this year. However, I just don't see them getting out of the first round of the playoffs with this pitching staff.

To use the old "If the season were to end today" line, the Yankees would get the Tigers.

Good luck with that, Verlander twice in a five game series.

The Red Sox would be the wild card and get the Rangers, who would tee off on the Red Sox starters.

That said, the Tigers are scuffling a bit in the central, the Indians are just a game and a half out.

The Red Sox could win the division and the Indians could win the Central, then we'd get the Indians, you'd get the Rangers.

Also, the Rangers are heating up, only 6 games behind the Yankees for the best record in the AL, so a lot of things could change in the last 6 weeks of the season.

Not to mention the Rays are still hanging around for the wild card, Ortiz is hobbled with a bum heel and Youk is on the DL with a bum back.

This could get very interesting................

To use the old "If the season were to end today" line, the Yankees would get the Tigers.

Good luck with that, Verlander twice in a five game series.

The Red Sox would be the wild card and get the Rangers, who would tee off on the Red Sox starters.

That said, the Tigers are scuffling a bit in the central, the Indians are just a game and a half out.

The Red Sox could win the division and the Indians could win the Central, then we'd get the Indians, you'd get the Rangers.

Also, the Rangers are heating up, only 6 games behind the Yankees for the best record in the AL, so a lot of things could change in the last 6 weeks of the season.

Not to mention the Rays are still hanging around for the wild card, Ortiz is hobbled with a bum heel and Youk is on the DL with a bum back.

This could get very interesting................

It could indeed get very interesting.

The Rangers are afterall the defending AL champs, and they are definitely making a charge. But the Angels are still in it for the West, only about 6 games back.

Cleveland trails Detroit by only 1.5 games, and starts another head to head series tonight.

The Yanks and the Red Sox are only separated by half a game, and still play each other 6 more times.

And if either the Yanks or Red Sox stumble, the Rays are only 9 games back.

All of these teams could make the AL playoffs. I think it will be the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers and Rangers. If the Yankees get the Rangers, the Rangers will win. If the Yankees get Detroit, the Yankees will need to win every game not started by Verlander to win the series. With the Red Sox injuries, they also might have trouble getting out of the first round. But I would still love to see Yankees vs Red Sox in the ALCS, and I would love to see it go 7 games (without the Yankees winning the first three). That's what I call October baseball.

I see AJ "Icantpitchworthacrap" Burnett has put in another fine effort tonight, lasting 1.2 innings and putting the Bombers in a 7-0 hole. I can't understand how this two-bit bum keeps getting his turn in the rotation. He's so bad, I bet the O's wouldn't pick him up if he got released. He is just awful and getting worse. :mad: Burnett is on a real tear. In his last 4 starts he has pitched a total of 17.2 innings, given up 35 hits, walked 7, and given up 21 earned runs. His season ERA is now up to 4.96 and rapidly reaching escape velocity. Jeesh! -- Al

I see AJ "Icantpitchworthacrap" Burnett has put in another fine effort tonight, lasting 1.2 innings and putting the Bombers in a 7-0 hole. I can't understand how this two-bit bum keeps getting his turn in the rotation. He's so bad, I bet the O's wouldn't pick him up if he got released. He is just awful and getting worse. :mad: Burnett is on a real tear. In his last 4 starts he has pitched a total of 17.2 innings, given up 35 hits, walked 7, and given up 21 earned runs. His season ERA is now up to 4.96 and rapidly reaching escape velocity. Jeesh! -- Al

And the best part is he mouthed off the Girardi when he took him out of the game, despite the fact that both Girardi and Cashman have defended him to the press over and over all season. When is Cashman going to admit he was wrong again, and waive this putz?

Whenever Burnett is scheduled to pitch, I think to myself "there's no point watching, we lose tonight." On a team 29 games over .500 he is 9-10.

The commentators keep saying "but he has great stuff." What the heck does that mean? Yeah, he can throw 95 mph, and his curveball has a tremendous break, but he can't control his fastball, more often then not leaving meatballs right over the heart of the plate, and nobody swings at his curveball, because it breaks two feet off the plate and in the dirt (he leads the league with 16 wild pitches). So his stuff isn't great, because he can't control it, and he can't win on a team that gives him around 5-6 runs per start. We have 5 other starters who give us a much better chance to win, so please Cashman and Girardi, stop running him out there and costing us games.:mad:

Hi Louis. Nova looked real sharp today in beating the Twins. He is pitching well enough to be the #2 behind CC. With Hughes coming around, I don't see a future for AJ unless it's as mop-up in a blow out (one way or the other), as I don't believe the Yanks will eat that contract by cutting him and who would want him in a trade?. Anyway, the Yanks looked good this weekend and Mo was sharp, too. Really enjoying the Hr/RBI/MVP race between Granderson and Tex. -- Al

Hi Louis. Nova looked real sharp today in beating the Twins. He is pitching well enough to be the #2 behind CC. With Hughes coming around, I don't see a future for AJ unless it's as mop-up in a blow out (one way or the other), as I don't believe the Yanks will eat that contract by cutting him and who would want him in a trade?. Anyway, the Yanks looked good this weekend and Mo was sharp, too. Really enjoying the Hr/RBI/MVP race between Granderson and Tex. -- Al

Al,

Nova looked great, especially picking up Granderson and Swisher when they let the can of corn fall in between them for a "double" - 2nd and 3rd with no out and Nova kept the Twins off the board. He is 9-0 in his last 10 starts with a 3.48 era, and 13-4 overall (despite spending a month in the minors).

Hughes also has looked great in his last 4 starts (3-1, era under 2). But the Yankees still have only one playoff tested starter (Sabathia) - two if you count Bartolo Colon's days with the Angels back in the early part of the decade - other than Burnett, and I am afraid that the Yankees will put AJ on the playoff roster and start him.

And as far as Granderson and Tex is concerned, it has been awfully fun to watch. But as good as they have been, the Red Sox field a certerfielder and first baseman that are just as productive and fun to watch. As far as I'm concerned, those four are the top 4 MVP candidates (I discount Verlander, because that's what the Cy Young award is for, and I discount Jose Bautista, because he plays on a 4th place team that is not in the running for the post season).

Besides having fun following the dogfight that is the AL East, and watching the anual disaster that are the Orioles, I have enjoyed watching the Nationals play competitive ball all season. They continue to play close, well pitched games. They have moved to 62-64 on the year and have posted a 21-25 record in 1 run games. A little more consistent hitting and pitching and they could be a winner. Also enjoying watching the Brewers make mince-meat out of the NL Central race. A 9 game lead with 32 games remaining is awful close to a sure thing the way they are playing and the way St. Loo is going down the tubes. We shall see. It is a great time of the season. -- Al

Also enjoying watching the Brewers make mince-meat out of the NL Central race. A 9 game lead with 32 games remaining is awful close to a sure thing the way they are playing and the way St. Loo is going down the tubes. We shall see. It is a great time of the season. -- Al

Shhh....not too loud!

The last time we had a sure thing we crashed, burned, fired our manager, and pitched CC on 3 days rest a zillion times in a row just to make the playoffs.

I've been a Brewers fan since 1982...I'm waiting for them to crumble...

Shhh....not too loud!

The last time we had a sure thing we crashed, burned, fired our manager, and pitched CC on 3 days rest a zillion times in a row just to make the playoffs.

I've been a Brewers fan since 1982...I'm waiting for them to crumble...
I feel for you. Peter. Of course, as an O's fan, I have no such worries about my team crumbling. It has been a pile of dust for some years now.:rolleyes2: The Brewers will hold on. The pitching is too good for them all to go bad at once. -- Al

Today, on the way home from a meeting in my NYC office, I hop in my car, turn on the radio, and find the Yankees down 7-1 at the end of 3. Then in the bottom of the fourth, Russell Martin hits a solo homer, 7-2. Then in the bottom of the 5th Robinson Cano hits a grand slam (and the Yankees load the bases a second time in the inning with only one out, but fail to score again thanks to Brett Gardner's third straight pop-up with the bases loaded and one out in the last two games), 7-6. Then in the 6th inning with two outs and runners on second and third, the A's walk Nick Swisher to pitch to to Russell Martin, who promptly hits the second grand slam of the game, Yankees now lead 10-7. Then in the bottom of the 8th, the Yankees score 12 runs, capped by a third grand slam by Curtis Granderson, the first time a team ever hit three grand slams in the same game, Yankees win 22-9.

Granderson, who scored three runs and drove in 4, now leads the major leagues with 121 runs and 103 RBI's. Oh, and Derek Jeter whose average climbed over .300 during the game, made the second to last out, and ended the game with a 3-6 performance and a .299 batting average. He has raised his batting average 39 points in 42 games since returning from the DL. What a game!

On paper the Yankees are not the best
but Yankee Pride is why there up there
The Red Sucks are suppose to be best
They are not running away with anything
New York , Boston rivalry remind me of FL and KC
Just my two cents

On paper the Yankees are not the best
but Yankee Pride is why there up there
The Red Sucks are suppose to be best
They are not running away with anything
New York , Boston rivalry remind me of FL and KC
Just my two cents

Priceless.

Just priceless.

Priceless.

Just priceless.

All I can say George, is I may hate the Red Sox, but I respect them. As I've said before, it just isn't a really great October unless the Yanks and the Sox are facing off in the ALCS.

Today, on the way home from a meeting in my NYC office, I hop in my car, turn on the radio, and find the Yankees down 7-1 at the end of 3. Then in the bottom of the fourth, Russell Martin hits a solo homer, 7-2. Then in the bottom of the 5th Robinson Cano hits a grand slam (and the Yankees load the bases a second time in the inning with only one out, but fail to score again thanks to Brett Gardner's third straight pop-up with the bases loaded and one out in the last two games), 7-6. Then in the 6th inning with two outs and runners on second and third, the A's walk Nick Swisher to pitch to to Russell Martin, who promptly hits the second grand slam of the game, Yankees now lead 10-7. Then in the bottom of the 8th, the Yankees score 12 runs, capped by a third grand slam by Curtis Granderson, the first time a team ever hit three grand slams in the same game, Yankees win 22-9.

Granderson, who scored three runs and drove in 4, now leads the major leagues with 121 runs and 103 RBI's. Oh, and Derek Jeter whose average climbed over .300 during the game, made the second to last out, and ended the game with a 3-6 performance and a .299 batting average. He has raised his batting average 39 points in 42 games since returning from the DL. What a game!

Two corrections to my narrative: First of all, the Yanks scored 6 in the 7th and 6 in the 8th (when Granderson hit the 3rd Grand Slam). Second of all, Granderson scored 4 and drove in 5, and now has 119 runs and 103 RBI's. Finally, I wanted to mention that Russell Martin went 5 for 5 with 2 homers (including a Grand Slam), a double, two singles and a walk, 6 RBI's and 3 runs scored.

Two corrections to my narrative: First of all, the Yanks scored 6 in the 7th and 6 in the 8th (when Granderson hit the 3rd Grand Slam). Second of all, Granderson scored 4 and drove in 5, and now has 119 runs and 103 RBI's. Finally, I wanted to mention that Russell Martin went 5 for 5 with 2 homers (including a Grand Slam), a double, two singles and a walk, 6 RBI's and 3 runs scored.
It was a great comeback. Too bad that the runs weren't distributed evenly over the first two games in the series. Another few games and the Bombers will have three men with over 100 RBI's. A potent offense never hurts.:wink2: -- Al

All I can say George, is I may hate the Red Sox, but I respect them. As I've said before, it just isn't a really great October unless the Yanks and the Sox are facing off in the ALCS.

Understood.

Whoever gets Verlander and the Tigers will not get to the ALCS, he's 19-5, a shoe in for the Cy Young and he should also get the MVP, but the writers always go for the sluggers, so the Grandyman is a shoe in for that.

Understood.

Whoever gets Verlander and the Tigers will not get to the ALCS, he's 19-5, a shoe in for the Cy Young and he should also get the MVP, but the writers always go for the sluggers, so the Grandyman is a shoe in for that.
I think if Detroit can stretch a series far enough to get Verlander to the mound twice, they have a good chance, but I don't care for the rest of their starting pitchers. They have a good offense, with 4 regulars hitting over .300, but that starting pitching, besides Cy Verlander, is a miss. One bad game from Verlander could doom them. JMO. I think Gonzalez has the same shot a MVP that Grandy has. May depend on who goes furthest. -- Al

Understood.

If my team catches the Tigers, I would pitch Burnett against him in game 1 (pretty much a sure loss, but who knows, he might pull one of those once in a season unhittable jems out of his butt), then pitch CC in game 2 (the Yankees should win, series tied 1-1), then the hottest of the two youngsters (probably Nova, possibly Hughes) in game 3 (the Yankees should win, Yankees up 2-1), forcing them to pitch Verlander vs. the other youngster in game 4 (Tigers win easily, series tied 2-2) and take my chances with CC on full rest against their second best starter in the deciding game 5.

If Boston catches the Tigers, do the same thing, thow Lackey out against Verlander in Game 1, then Beckett in game 2, Lester in game 3 (you should be up 2-1), forcing them to throw Verlander in game 4 against whoever, then pitch Beckett against their #2 in game 5. The key is don't waste your best starter against Verlander, assume he will win twice, and use your best starter twice against their #2 and your #2 against their #3, to win the series 3-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back