Baseball 2011 (4 Viewers)

If my team catches the Tigers, I would pitch Burnett against him in game 1 (pretty much a sure loss, but who knows, he might pull one of those once in a season unhittable jems out of his butt), then pitch CC in game 2 (the Yankees should win, series tied 1-1), then the hottest of the two youngsters (probably Nova, possibly Hughes) in game 3 (the Yankees should win, Yankees up 2-1), forcing them to pitch Verlander vs. the other youngster in game 4 (Tigers win easily, series tied 2-2) and take my chances with CC on full rest against their second best starter in the deciding game 5.

If Boston catches the Tigers, do the same thing, thow Lackey out against Verlander in Game 1, then Beckett in game 2, Lester in game 3 (you should be up 2-1), forcing them to throw Verlander in game 4 against whoever, then pitch Beckett against their #2 in game 5. The key is don't waste your best starter against Verlander, assume he will win twice, and use your best starter twice against their #2 and your #2 against their #3, to win the series 3-2.
Now THAT sounds like a plan. All that is needed is a manager with stones enough to do it. -- Al

Now THAT sounds like a plan. All that is needed is a manager with stones enough to do it. -- Al

I look at it like this: do the Yankees have any starter that I would trust in a must win game down 1-0 in a short series if you pitched CC in game 1 and lost 1-0 or 2-0? If Girardi agrees with me that we just flat out do not have a reliable option under those facts, then you cannot pitch either of our two best options against Verlander. That leaves Burnett.

If he doesn't have the stones to do it, and we go into game 2 down 1-0 with CC not an option, I would still start Burnett, with the best bull pen options (Robertson, Noesi or Ayala) warmed up from the first inning on. Unless he falls apart from the very beginning (about 20% of his starts), usually, Burnett pitches lights out for 2-4 innings, and then falls apart and gives up 4 runs in a single inning. The minute he put 2 hitters on base, I would pull Burnett (even if it was in the first inning), go to Robertson to make sure the 2 runners don't score (he almost always pitches out of trouble, that's why his nickname is Houdini), pitch Robertson for 2 innings, then Ayala for 2-3, then Noesi for 2, then Soriano, and finish it up with Mo. I would trust the better pitchers in our bullpen under those circumstances way more than I would trust any of our starters not named Carsten Charles.

In the ALCS, I would pitch CC three times, and pitch Nova only in games where we had a series lead. I probably wouldn't pitch Hughes (who I don't trust, and who has fallen apart in the playoffs both as a starter and a reliever). If Colon or Garcia has bounced back and is healthy and pitching well, I might start one of them. Basically, you have to pray that CC wins at least 2 of his 3 starts, and the rest of your staff can get you 2 other wins. Frankly, I just don't see it against the Red Sox. It might be possible against the Rangers, but I wouldn't count on it.

I know I sound like a glass half empty guy, but I really just don't see the Yankees getting out of the first round this year, absent some unforeseen event, like Verlander getting hurt and being out for the playoffs.

If my team catches the Tigers, I would pitch Burnett against him in game 1 (pretty much a sure loss, but who knows, he might pull one of those once in a season unhittable jems out of his butt), then pitch CC in game 2 (the Yankees should win, series tied 1-1), then the hottest of the two youngsters (probably Nova, possibly Hughes) in game 3 (the Yankees should win, Yankees up 2-1), forcing them to pitch Verlander vs. the other youngster in game 4 (Tigers win easily, series tied 2-2) and take my chances with CC on full rest against their second best starter in the deciding game 5.

If Boston catches the Tigers, do the same thing, thow Lackey out against Verlander in Game 1, then Beckett in game 2, Lester in game 3 (you should be up 2-1), forcing them to throw Verlander in game 4 against whoever, then pitch Beckett against their #2 in game 5. The key is don't waste your best starter against Verlander, assume he will win twice, and use your best starter twice against their #2 and your #2 against their #3, to win the series 3-2.

Understand that logic, but baseball managers are not logical, plus they'd get fried if they held back an ace and put some tomato can out there vs the other teams ace, baseball just does not work that way I'm afraid........

Understand that logic, but baseball managers are not logical, plus they'd get fried if they held back an ace and put some tomato can out there vs the other teams ace, baseball just does not work that way I'm afraid........

Joe Torre said "baseball just doesn't work that way" in 2004, when people asked him if he was going to have his hitters bunt against Curt Schilling during the "bloody sock" game. As a result, the Red Sox won a championship. If Girardi is really about winning championships every season, all that BS about "the unwritten rules of baseball" has to go by the wayside.

Hello Louis. Our hero is at it again with 1 out in the second. 6 runs, 2 Hr's, and counting for the AA O's. -- Al

Hello Louis. Our hero is at it again with 1 out in the second. 6 runs, 2 Hr's, and counting for the AA O's. -- Al

This has got to be the last straw. :mad: If he gets beat up in back to back starts by the Twins (who due to injuries are basically a tripple A team) and the O's (no offense, but they are the worst team in the AL) the Yankees have to take him out of the rotation. Even John Sterling and Susan Waldman (the Yankees radio commentators) acknowledged that he has got to be taken out of the rotation, as he can't get anyone out.

This has got to be the last straw. :mad: If he gets beat up in back to back starts by the Twins (who due to injuries are basically a tripple A team) and the O's (no offense, but they are the worst team in the AL) the Yankees have to take him out of the rotation. Even John Sterling and Susan Waldman (the Yankees radio commentators) acknowledged that he has got to be taken out of the rotation, as he can't get anyone out.
No offense taken, Louis. It is only my highly developed sense of denial (from years of baseball abuse at the hands of the O's), that enables me to survive the truth. {sm2} And yes, that BUM needs to be taken out of the rotation and possibly out of MLB. -- Al

Another fine outing for AJ is over. 5 innings, 9 hits, 2 walks and only 9 earned runs (with a season ERA now of 5.31). I love watching a well pitched game. -- Al

I just saw the pitching matchups for the upcoming Yankees Red Sox series, and I almost fell off my chair. Game 1 is CC vs. Lackey, which on paper should favor the Yankees, but CC has been god-awful against the Red Sox this year, and the Yankees lost this same matchup in the last series against the Sox. Well they better find a way to win it this time, because game 2 is A.J. Burnett vs. Beckett, and game 3 is Hughes vs. Lester (and we are not winning either of those games).

Why run Burnett out against Beckett? Actually it may not be such a bad idea. None of the Yankees pitchers is beating Beckett, who owns the Yankees. If, as is likely, Burnett gets eaten alive by the Red Sox, that might convince Cashman and Girardi that he has to be taken out of the rotation. If, by some miracle, Burnett chanels the Burnett that matched Beckett with eight scoreless innings two years ago (in the classic 15 inning A-Rod walkoff game where A-Rod finally earned his pinstripes) maybe it will jump start him and he won't be a total loss for the rest of the season.

But why Hughes against Lester? Isn't that day the 5th day for Ivan Nova? He is pitching way better than Hughes, and the Yankees would at least have some chance of winning if he could give us a representative start (he has been averaging 7 innings, with about a 3.00 ERA since coming back from the minors (and the numbers would be better if he hadn't given up 5 runs in a 6 inning start against the Royals). Wouldn't the Yankees be better served finding out if this 24 year old kid has the intestinal fortitude (polite way of saying clanking brass ones) to handle a playoff intensity start (Yankees Red Sox in September in Fenway)? We already know from the playoffs the last two season that Hughes can't handle it.

Hi Louis,

I was home last week in the states visiting and managed to see the game where Burnett smarted off at Girardis back as he left the mound. I personally dont know what he said to the manager but in my book that was more than enough to send him packin back to AA Ball. He stinks on ice right now and cant even manage to get a win against teams that are so far out of first that they maybe in to last season...

If Cashman and Girardi cant get the gumption up to get rid of this guy we will have a dismal series in Boston. Its just sickening to see the Yankees play so crappy against them. As for A-Rod he needs to get over all of his issues and start acting like a man and play ball. The Hughes or Nova slot I'm unsure about what they're thinking unless they have decided to just play for the wild card and hope... {sm2}

I am glad I cant see the games here because of the time difference because I would be going nuts over all the mis plays and cruddy pitching decisions. I hope we can at least split the series but have some serious doubts in that regard. Fingers crossed in Germany.

Dave

I am glad I cant see the games here because of the time difference because I would be going nuts over all the mis plays and cruddy pitching decisions. I hope we can at least split the series but have some serious doubts in that regard. Fingers crossed in Germany.

Dave,

Why don't you sign up with MLB TV or whatever it's called. My brother-in-law, who lives in Hong Kong, is a huge Red Sox fan and he watches the games (when he's not traveling) through his computer.

Tonight the 'Crew have a chance to bury the Cardinals once and for all. If the Cardinals are going to mount ANY charge, they have to start now.

I figure that it's time for payback the World Series in 1982!

Tonight the 'Crew have a chance to bury the Cardinals once and for all. If the Cardinals are going to mount ANY charge, they have to start now.

I figure that it's time for payback the World Series in 1982!
Hi Peter. Brewers got it in the bag unless they pull the el foldo of all time. Their lead is so big all they have to do is play .500 ball the rest of the way and the Cards will never catch them unless the Cards can go something like 25-3. Never happen. Early congratulations as I believe the Brewers will finish burying the Cards over the next couple of games. -- Al

I just saw the pitching matchups for the upcoming Yankees Red Sox series, and I almost fell off my chair. Game 1 is CC vs. Lackey, which on paper should favor the Yankees, but CC has been god-awful against the Red Sox this year, and the Yankees lost this same matchup in the last series against the Sox. Well they better find a way to win it this time, because game 2 is A.J. Burnett vs. Beckett, and game 3 is Hughes vs. Lester (and we are not winning either of those games).

Why run Burnett out against Beckett? Actually it may not be such a bad idea. None of the Yankees pitchers is beating Beckett, who owns the Yankees. If, as is likely, Burnett gets eaten alive by the Red Sox, that might convince Cashman and Girardi that he has to be taken out of the rotation. If, by some miracle, Burnett chanels the Burnett that matched Beckett with eight scoreless innings two years ago (in the classic 15 inning A-Rod walkoff game where A-Rod finally earned his pinstripes) maybe it will jump start him and he won't be a total loss for the rest of the season.

But why Hughes against Lester? Isn't that day the 5th day for Ivan Nova? He is pitching way better than Hughes, and the Yankees would at least have some chance of winning if he could give us a representative start (he has been averaging 7 innings, with about a 3.00 ERA since coming back from the minors (and the numbers would be better if he hadn't given up 5 runs in a 6 inning start against the Royals). Wouldn't the Yankees be better served finding out if this 24 year old kid has the intestinal fortitude (polite way of saying clanking brass ones) to handle a playoff intensity start (Yankees Red Sox in September in Fenway)? We already know from the playoffs the last two season that Hughes can't handle it.
The middle of a pennant race is no place to screw around with a 6 man rotation, especially when one of those pitchers is AJ "Oops, there goes another gopher ball" Burnett. Time for the NYY's powers that be to face reality, swallow AJ's contract and move on. Maybe Hughes comes through, maybe he does not but the Yanks are better off with him than to keep sending AJ to the mound. Yanks are just going to have to go with CC, Nova, Garcia, Colon, and hope Hughes stiffens up. I like the way Garcia pitches and Colon has done well even though his record doesn't reflect it. They just gotta dump AJ. -- Al

Hi Brad,

I thought about it but decided to save the money and time for other things here. I get the updates from the Yankees website and I can watch if I want to stay up late or get up really early but I usually opt for the read the box scores and recap when I egt up in the morning.

Dave

Well, the Bombers won a game against the Red Sox, in Boston, with CC getting the win. Go figure. I see that Hughes has been moved up to face Beckett. Could be that AJ is finally out of the rotation. Hopefully. Now we will see if Hughes has figured it out. -- Al

Is it my imagination or is CC heavier than ever {eek3}. I was watching him face Ortiz, who is a big man, but Ortiz has nothing on CC.

Is it my imagination or is CC heavier than ever {eek3}.

Game one goes as expected to Sherman Klump and the Yankees, I knew he wouldn't suck all year vs the Red Sox; the strike zone last night was as wide as he is.

That Lowrie strike out by Rivera was pathetic, two called strikes that were each a foot outside.

Whatever.

Beckett and Lester need to come up big and shut down "two home run Cervelli" and the rest of murders row the next two nights.

And it's so typical that Arod is out the whole series, so who comes up big, Chavez rips a two run single.

It's amazing to me what the Yankees have gotten out of the corpses of Chavez, Jones, Colon and Garcia, just incredible.

Cashman should be the GM of the year with how this line up and pitching staff has performed this year, third best record in baseball (or maybe fourth as I do not keep track of the machine known as the Brewers, not sure if they have a better record than them or not)................

I've got tickets for tonight and tomorrow courtesy of my girlfriend (THANKS TIFF), tonight up on the green monster, tomorrow over the right field stands, THE best seats in the house, incredible sightlines...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back