Baseball 2011 (7 Viewers)

Louis,
I don't blame Epstein for Lackey.

After that total POS Boras peddled Teshata to the Yankees after he had basically had him signed, sealed and delivered to the Red Sox, Theo had to come up with plan B, which was Lackey, Mike Cameron and winning with defense and pitching, which has proven to be a disaster as Cameron is gone and Lackey has been a monumental bust.

And write this down now, in pen; Ellsbury will be in pinstripes in two years, Boras will pull the same POS move with him as he did with Teshata, Grandison will be in right, you'll have the fastest outfield in the majors and two 30/30 guys plus Gardner will steal 30 as well.

Awesome, just awesome.

Ellsbury may very well be in pinstripes in two years, and its Epsteins fault for signing Carl Crawford for 20 million a year for 7 years. Check my early this season post about the signing of Crawford, I said he would never be worth the money. He's an aging speed guy. In his career he never hit more than 19 homers and never drove in more than 90. He doesn't hit for average, and his steals and tripples (his calling cards) are way down this season. He will probably bounce back next year and put up numbers closer to the back of his baseball card, but Red Sox fans will be hating his contract in the last 4 years when he slows down in his 30's.

Epstein obviously gave up on Ellsbury after last season, and now he's got to figure out where to find the money to keep Ellsbury. I would love to see the Yankees sign Ellsbury, and have an outfield of Ellsbury, Granderson and Gardner - with that much speed opposing players would have to hit a homer to get a fly ball hit.

Well, that got ugly, fast. Not quite a total disaster as the lead is still 7.5 games with only 24 to play. My money is still on the Brewers. -- Al

I checked in tonight with the Brew Crew down 2-0 at the end of 6 (and the Cards coming back on the Reds) and thought,"Here we go again!" This is how teams fall apart.

Thankfully, the Astros have no bullpen, so we just pulled away to a 8-2 win. The Cards pitching did us a favor and gave up a bomb to a guy hitting .195, so the lead is back to 8.5.

I'll sleep a bit better tonight.

Al and Dave; this is all in good fun as you know, because the older you get, the more you understand sports is nothing more than the toybox of life, you really can't take this stuff to seriously.

In closing all I can say is you guys should hear Boston talk radio today, this edition of the Yankees in just three games has brought back the pre 2004 hatred Red Sox fans had felt for the Yankees since 1918, it's comical to listen to.

The Yankees have had their way with the Red Sox for so long, even with the Red Sox up 11-4 in the season series, people are torked off, one guy said guaranteed they get swept in the stadium later this month.

All of this makes you wonder how in Gods name did the Red Sox pull off the ALCS 2004 miracle; the more I look back on that, considering what was at stake, the history between the two clubs, that is and always will be the greatest upset in sports history, topping the 1969 miracle Mets, the Georgetown/Villanova game, the 1969 Super Bowl, the 2007 Super Bowl and the 1986 World Series.

I still to this day cannot believe they pulled it off AND went on to win the World Series for the first time in 86 years, something I was 1000% certain I'd never see happen....................
George, I saw all those upsets as well. I won't get into that whole 1969 series of Baltimore vs. New York sporting disasters (suffice it to say, I was scarred for life, almost:wink2:). I would add one other game to the list of giant, crowd pleasing upsets and that would be 1982 (I think) when Jim Valvano's NC State Wolfpack beat those bums of Phi Slamma Jamma (aka Houston U) for the NCAA Basketball Championship, with a dunk at the buzzer. I was not a huge Wolfpack fan but that was one hugely enjoyable game. I would love to see the Oriole's win another WS while I still breath.:rolleyes2: -- Al

George, I saw all those upsets as well. I won't get into that whole 1969 series of Baltimore vs. New York sporting disasters (suffice it to say, I was scarred for life, almost:wink2:).

My heart bleeds for you Al....NOT! ^&grin:tongue:

My heart bleeds for you Al....NOT! ^&grin:tongue:
LOL. Oh, the agony. Drawn from my rather selective memory of that now distant year of 1969, the only good thing I remember about it is that I met my future wife (now of 35 years). Otherwise 1969 sucked! {sm3} -- Al

George, I saw all those upsets as well. I won't get into that whole 1969 series of Baltimore vs. New York sporting disasters (suffice it to say, I was scarred for life, almost:wink2:). I would add one other game to the list of giant, crowd pleasing upsets and that would be 1982 (I think) when Jim Valvano's NC State Wolfpack beat those bums of Phi Slamma Jamma (aka Houston U) for the NCAA Basketball Championship, with a dunk at the buzzer. I was not a huge Wolfpack fan but that was one hugely enjoyable game. I would love to see the Oriole's win another WS while I still breath.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Have to give you credit to have such a slippery back as if I had to witness two monumental upsets like that in the same season, not sure what I'd do...............the funny thing about that game winning "dunk" is that in fact was a desperate heave thrown up close to the buzzer that by some miracle fell short right into the hands of a wolfpack player camped under the basket, he dunked it and was not even sure it went in on time..........not exactly a scripted play, but it worked.

At least the Colts and Orioles bounced back and won titles a few years later; the Patriots haven't won a playoff game since that gag job vs the Giants, looks like the franchise has been going in reverse ever since.................

So after sweeping the 'Crew, the Cards turn around and lose two of three from the Reds. With the Brewers sweep of Houston, the series against St. Louis tonight isn't quite as exciting!

So after sweeping the 'Crew, the Cards turn around and lose two of three from the Reds. With the Brewers sweep of Houston, the series against St. Louis tonight isn't quite as exciting!
Well Peter, if last night's game doesn't drive a stake thru the Cards, nothing will. A 10.5 game lead with 20 games left is about an iron-clad guarantee as one is likely to get. Where's the bottle of bubbly?^&grin -- Al

Well Peter, if last night's game doesn't drive a stake thru the Cards, nothing will. A 10.5 game lead with 20 games left is about an iron-clad guarantee as one is likely to get. Where's the bottle of bubbly?^&grin -- Al

Don't tell that to Brad . . . he's a Mets fan . . . {eek3}

I see that Cliff Lee threw his 6th shutout of the season last night, lowering his ERA to 2.47, third in the league. In this culture of pitch counts and 5-6 inning starters, I find that a remarkable achievement. 6 complete game shutouts from one man in a time when only the LA Dodgers, in the NL, can claim the total of only 7 complete games as a whole staff, which is the second highest CG total behind the Phillies 16. The Phillies now claim 3 of the top 6 pitchers, stat wise, in the NL. I don't see how anyone can solve the trio of Lee, Halliday, and Hamels. It is going to be an almost impossible task to keep the Phillies from the WS title. -- Al

Maybe the Orioles did but the Mets have played hard all season and have been out of very few games and as of a few weeks ago were four games above .500. When they slid back to 8 games under recently, they could have mailed it in but to the team's credit, they didn't and are three under .500, hoping to finish at around .500, and all this with no Santana this year, losing Reyes twice to the DL this season, trading their closer and Beltran mid season, losing their legitimate power threat (Ike Davis) in May for the year, losing David Wright for a couple of months and losing Daniel Murphy who at the time he went down was number 5 in the NL in hitting. That's pretty amazing in my book and they have been fun to watch this year.

Wouldn't even put the Orioles in the same conversation, let alone the same paragraph.

Maybe the Orioles did but the Mets have played hard all season and have been out of very few games and as of a few weeks ago were four games above .500. When they slid back to 8 games under recently, they could have mailed it in but to the team's credit, they didn't and are three under .500, hoping to finish at around .500, and all this with no Santana this year, losing Reyes twice to the DL this season, trading their closer and Beltran mid season, losing their legitimate power threat (Ike Davis) in May for the year, losing David Wright for a couple of months and losing Daniel Murphy who at the time he went down was number 5 in the NL in hitting. That's pretty amazing in my book and they have been fun to watch this year.

Wouldn't even put the Orioles in the same conversation, let alone the same paragraph.
No offense meant, Brad. Just referring to the current playoff positions. -- Al

Hey Louis, I see that the NYY's are throwing a bone to the O's in this series by starting both Hughes and AJ (still? really?). Maybe they both can manage to throw a decent game against the hapless O's. If neither of them can manage to beat the O's, the Yanks are going to have to seriously consider what to do with them and the playoff rosters. Maybe it will have to be CC, Nova, and a melding of Garcia/Colon for the third game. I am starting to sweat the starting pitching question again.:redface2: If only Hughes would step up or AJ gets hot for about 8 or so starts (miracles can happen:rolleyes2:). -- Al

Hey Louis, I see that the NYY's are throwing a bone to the O's in this series by starting both Hughes and AJ (still? really?). Maybe they both can manage to throw a decent game against the hapless O's. If neither of them can manage to beat the O's, the Yanks are going to have to seriously consider what to do with them and the playoff rosters. Maybe it will have to be CC, Nova, and a melding of Garcia/Colon for the third game. I am starting to sweat the starting pitching question again.:redface2: If only Hughes would step up or AJ gets hot for about 8 or so starts (miracles can happen:rolleyes2:). -- Al

If you think we have it bad from the standpoint of starting pitching (which we do, when compared to the Phillies, Giants, Angels, Rangers and Tigers), what about Boston? A couple of months ago, they had 3 of the top 5 or 6 starters in the AL, now, with Beckett hurting the ankle on his push off leg, and potentially joining Bucholz on the DL (pending the results of an MRI today), the Red Sox could be in worse shape than the Yankees for starters (Lester, than a bunch of question marks). I honestly hope Beckett is OK, and the Yanks and Red Sox meet up in the ALCS, as that is what October baseball is supposed to be about, and I would hate to see injuries prevent that from happening.

If you think we have it bad from the standpoint of starting pitching (which we do, when compared to the Phillies, Giants, Angels, Rangers and Tigers), what about Boston? A couple of months ago, they had 3 of the top 5 or 6 starters in the AL, now, with Beckett hurting the ankle on his push off leg, and potentially joining Bucholz on the DL (pending the results of an MRI today), the Red Sox could be in worse shape than the Yankees for starters (Lester, than a bunch of question marks). I honestly hope Beckett is OK, and the Yanks and Red Sox meet up in the ALCS, as that is what October baseball is supposed to be about, and I would hate to see injuries prevent that from happening.
Agreed. If I were a betting man, I would be betting Phillies with that staff of theirs. Don't see the Giants getting in unless Rockies collapse and only 1 between the Rangers or Angels is getting in. I don't see the Tigers riding a 1 man starting staff to the AL title. I see the Phillies in the NL and still a pick 'em amongst NY, Bos.,Tex., and LA in the AL. If the Yanks can muddle along and stay in the game with their pitching, then I think their offense can give it to them, but things have to line up correctly. The other AL teams are all dangerous. Even so, the Phillies look good for the WS title, at this point. -- Al

Yankees must have been DESPERATE to get that game in last night. Waited out the rain and then started playing in a downpour anyway at 11pm. What insanity. Conditions were horrible and people could have gotten hurt. Should have waited and played 2 today. Well at least Hughes pitched ok and the Yanks won, but still.... -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back