Baseball 2011 (3 Viewers)

But that's why I expected him to go to New York.
So did the city of New York and every Yankee fan I talked to the last week or so "You'ze got Crawford and Gonzalez, we're getting Lee to offset those two lefties"...............

What remaining hair Cashman had on his dome just fell out; plan B is going to be interesting.

Time to unload some of that minor league talent I've been hearing so much about lately.

As in all of it.

ASAP.

Or else you are in deep doo doo.

OR maybe you can resign Shemp before he goes to the A's.

If Cashman has half a brain, he does nothing now. There is not a GM in the league who won't try to hold him up for a rididulous deal this offseason. Stay calm, use what you've got to keep in the wild card race, and as the trade dealdine approaches, make a deal for an ace on a sucky team like the Marlins, who will be looking to dump payroll.

I wouldn't be all that overjoyed if I were you, George. Your sox just spent the farm and all kinds of money to overtake the Yankees and win the WS, and the team they built won't stand a chance against the Phillies. I have no problem routing for the Phillies for a season until the Yanks can reload, as long as your boys don't win any rings in the mean time.

But that's why I expected him to go to New York.

If Cashman has half a brain, he does nothing now. There is not a GM in the league who won't try to hold him up for a rididulous deal this offseason. Stay calm, use what you've got to keep in the wild card race, and as the trade dealdine approaches, make a deal for an ace on a sucky team like the Marlins, who will be looking to dump payroll.

I wouldn't be all that overjoyed if I were you, George. Your sox just spent the farm and all kinds of money to overtake the Yankees and win the WS, and the team they built won't stand a chance against the Phillies. I have no problem routing for the Phillies for a season until the Yanks can reload, as long as your boys don't win any rings in the mean time.

Don't worry Louis, it's widely known Cashman indeed has half a brain.

The Red Sox are still 10 million under the luxury tax threshold and 40 million behind the Bronx Bombers in payroll, so they hardly "spent the farm."

And yes, I am overjoyed they traded for one of the best power hitting first basemen in all of baseball and signed Crawford, a great defensive outfielder, base stealer and hitter and they are not done yet.

It's funny because the Giants didn't stand a chance vs the Phillies in the NLCS this past year; Ozwalt, Hamel and Halladay were going to shut them down and sweep their way to the World Series.

How did that work out for them?

Don't worry, I just heard you signed Russell Martin and his bum hip (he and Arod can compare notes now, two guys with bum hips on the same team) and Marc Prior (I thought after his arm fell off he retired), Yankee fans must be stoked at the thought of Russell Martin, Kerry Wood AND Mark Prior wearing pinstripes next year.

The Yankees are trying to field the 2003 NL all star team in 2011.

Brilliant.

Is Jeter still mad at the Yankees for forking over 51 million by the way?

Imagine holding a press conference AFTER stealing 51 million to say you are mad at the front office?

For real Derek? Captain intangibles sounds upset, better watch out.

He should worry more about the fact that anything to his left = a base hit.

Phillies fan?

I tried that in the 2009 World Series and it didn't work out too well for me but go with it if it makes you feel good.

I see it ending the same way for you as it did for me.

Don't worry Louis, it's widely known Cashman indeed has half a brain.

The Red Sox are still 10 million under the luxury tax threshold and 40 million behind the Bronx Bombers in payroll, so they hardly "spent the farm."

And yes, I am overjoyed they traded for one of the best power hitting first basemen in all of baseball and signed Crawford, a great defensive outfielder, base stealer and hitter and they are not done yet.

It's funny because the Giants didn't stand a chance vs the Phillies in the NLCS this past year; Ozwalt, Hamel and Halladay were going to shut them down and sweep their way to the World Series.

How did that work out for them?

Don't worry, I just heard you signed Russell Martin and his bum hip (he and Arod can compare notes now, two guys with bum hips on the same team) and Marc Prior (I thought after his arm fell off he retired), Yankee fans must be stoked at the thought of Russell Martin, Kerry Wood AND Mark Prior wearing pinstripes next year.

The Yankees are trying to field the 2003 NL all star team in 2011.

Brilliant.

Is Jeter still mad at the Yankees for forking over 51 million by the way?

Imagine holding a press conference AFTER stealing 51 million to say you are mad at the front office?

For real Derek? Captain intangibles sounds upset, better watch out.

He should worry more about the fact that anything to his left = a base hit.

Phillies fan?

I tried that in the 2009 World Series and it didn't work out too well for me but go with it if it makes you feel good.

I see it ending the same way for you as it did for me.

My reference to spent the farm was to the number of prospects you gave up for that first baseman. Plus, your Sox spent 142 million over 7 years on a speed guy whose game is going to go south when he hits year 3-4 of the contract, and, unlike the Yankees, you can't afford to eat that K over the last 3-4 years of the contract.

You can talk trash about Jeter all you want, he only needs to win one more to have as many rings as your entire franchise (four of which were won before your father was born).

And the reason the Giants beat the Phillies in the NLCS last year was the quality of their starting pitching, which was better than the Phillies, just like the Yankees starters were better than the Phillies starters two years ago in the WS. Next year the Phillies starters will be miles better than the Red Sox starters, so don't count on the same outcome.

"My reference to spent the farm was to the number of prospects you gave up for that first baseman"...................The Red Sox gave up three prospects, the key word being prospects, ie, not one player off of their 40 man MLB roster; Rizzo, who is a first baseman, so since Gonzalez is a first baseman, no big loss, Kelly, who at best is a number two starter and Fuentes, a mixed bag. They did not lose their top two prospects, Iglesias, who will be the starting shortstop in 2012 and Kalish, who will take over for Drew in right field in 2012. Anytime you can get proven major league talent for prospects is a steal, end of story.

Gonzalez was made for Fenway, he hits a ton of balls to left center, he is going to wear the green monster down, he's going into his prime and is an excellent defensive first baseman as well.

"Plus, your Sox spent 142 million over 7 years on a speed guy whose game is going to go south when he hits year 3-4 of the contract, and, unlike the Yankees, you can't afford to eat that K over the last 3-4 years of the contract."......................This is the same guy who if he was still available after the Yankees lost out on Lee, would be in pinstripes in ten minutes. He was on the Yankees radar, you know it, I know it. We got him, the Yankees did not. His power numbers have gone up the last couple of years, he's in left field, not center, he'll be fine, we'll be fine.

Crawford would be great in left field for the Yankees, you'd honestly take Brent effing Gardner over him? Please.

"You can talk trash about Jeter all you want, he only needs to win one more to have as many rings as your entire franchise (four of which were won before your father was born)."....................He's 37 years old; 51 million for a 37 year old shortstop is beyond stupid. At least he'll get his 3,000th hit in pinstripes, the first Yankee to do so; whether that is worth 51 million is antoher story.

Sorry, I don't care what the Yankees did in while Christ was in a crib, it's nice to walk down memory lane and talk about all those world series titles they won before free agency began and before you were born, all that matters is today and today, the Red Sox are the favorite to represent the AL in the World Series. That is all that matters, 27 World Series titles mean zip right now, today, December 14th, 2010.

"Next year the Phillies starters will be miles better than the Red Sox starters, so don't count on the same outcome.".............Miles better because they added a 32 year old with an iffy back who was 12-9 last year? Really? I think perception is greater than reality because Lee owns the Yankees.

Halladay, Hamels, Ozwalt, Lee, Blanton are miles better than Beckett, Buckholz, Lester,Lackey, Dice K? What do you base that on, because you hope it's so?

Just like I hoped Sherman Klump, Beavis and horseface wouldn't win a World Series title, yet they did.

These conversations between the two of you seem to always descend into a cat calling contest without your being overly objective.

Yes, the Yankees may miss Lee and may seem a little short right now but that's right now. I'm sure they will be competitive. Did they overpay DJ and are his skills declining. Maybe and yes but he's important to the franchise and I'm sure he will have a bounce back year as will Arod. Not getting Lee could be a blessing in disguise.

Are the Red Sox improved. Yes, but they may have overpaid for Crawford. I'm not sure his stats justify the money but that's the way things are. However, they do have questions about their rotation.

No questions about the Phils rotation but offensively their hitters tend to disappear at times and they will miss Werth.

The odds say Phils v Red Sox in 2011 but this is why they play the games don't they? I don't see the Yanks, Rangers, Giants, Reds or other contenders saying that's it boys, see you in 2012.

Brad,

George and I just enjoy busting each other's chops, we are good friends, despite our baseball issues.

That being said, George, are you serious? Cliff Lee is the most dominant post season pitcher today, period. Yeah, he had a bad back for a month last season. Last time I checked, your boy Beckett spent a larger portion of last year on the disabled list. I'd take Cliff Lee over Beckett any day and twice on Sunday.

But let's talk about the aces, not the number 2 starters. Are your seriously arguing that Roy (1st post-season no hitter since Don Larson's perfecto) "Doc" Halladay isn't better than Lester? If so, you have checked any claim to objectivity and credibility at the door.

Cole Hammells was the ace of a staff that won a world series for the Phillies only 3 seasons ago, and had a comeback season last year. Lackey made his bones nearly ten years ago as a rookie power pitcher, and has never made it back to that form again (although he looked good against the Red Sox a couple of years ago, before getting stomped on by the Yankees.

Oswalt over Dice-K. They are both on the down side, but I would still take Oswalt. We'll have to wait and see, but I figure Phillies over Sox in 5.

"George and I just enjoy busting each other's chops, we are good friends, despite our baseball issues"..................................Ditto Brad, I guess you don't know the story behind the story, Louis and I laugh about these things when we see each other, so you're putting 2 and 2 together and getting 22.

"That being said, George, are you serious? Cliff Lee is the most dominant post season pitcher today, period. Yeah, he had a bad back for a month last season. Last time I checked, your boy Beckett spent a larger portion of last year on the disabled list. I'd take Cliff Lee over Beckett any day and twice on Sunday"....................Beckett has two World Series rings, he put the Marlins on his back in 2003 and pitched one of the greatest games in World Series history in game 6 in the old Yankee Stadium to clinch the World Series for the team and series MVP for him. Made the Yankees look like little leaguers in that game. He pitched his A$$ off in 2007, the Sox were down 3-1 to the Indians in the ALCS, he was dominant in game 5, they won and ripped off the last two games to win the ALCS and move on to the World Series, where he again waa lights out. Without him in 2007, no World Series title for the Red Sox. Was Lee on the World Series winning Phillies when they beat the Rays, I don't recall honestly as I watched about 12 seconds of that series, I could have cared less who won. If he was not, he has zero rings, if he was, he has one to Beckett's two.

"But let's talk about the aces, not the number 2 starters. Are your seriously arguing that Roy (1st post-season no hitter since Don Larson's perfecto) "Doc" Halladay isn't better than Lester? If so, you have checked any claim to objectivity and credibility at the door"................Halladay is great, no doubt about it, he's in the perfect league for him now at his age, just like when Clemens, who was done, done, DONE, went to the Astros and looked like Cy Young, he'll extend his career several years by being in the NL.

"We'll have to wait and see, but I figure Phillies over Sox in 5"..................................time will tell on that prediction.

Halladay, Hamels, Ozwalt, Lee, Blanton are miles better than Beckett, Buckholz, Lester,Lackey, Dice K? What do you base that on, because you hope it's so?

Let's leave the fat kid, I mean, Blanton, out of that list, he's a bum. His first inning ERA and his ERA for all other innings are miles apart. The wheels usually come off in the 5th.

I really wish the Phils had been able to keep JA Happ. I saw him come up through the farm system, and I think he has a great career ahead of him.

Speaking of the farm system, I see Trenton a couple of times a year, when they play Reading, and there have been some good players coming up through the Yankees' farm system, I just don't pay attention to the AL, so I don't know how many of them have made it to the big club, or if the Yankees have dealt them away. I only ever followed Robinson Cano, because I had him on my fantasy team his rookie year.

Prost!
Brad

Last edited:
Today the Red Sox signed former White Sox closer Bobby Jenks to a two year, 12 million dollar deal, he had 173 saves for the pale hose the past six years and is all of 29.

So now After Beckett, Lester, Buckholz, Lackey, Dice K go six innings, it will be Jenks, Baard, Papelbon, also known as good morning, good afternoon and good night.

This hands down has been the greatest off season of activity in Red Sox history.

This is what happens when you miss the playoffs the previous year.

Spring training can't come fast enough.

If that starting rotation is healthy, that's probably the best in the AL.

What happened to Okajima btw?

If that starting rotation is healthy, that's probably the best in the AL.

What happened to Okajima btw?

He lost his mojo, maybe he can get it back, last year he had two pitches, balls and home runs............

Lee and Greinke now wrapped up and the NYY still sitting on their hands. I see a big problem for them. Boston now the big favorite in the AL East and, I do not jest, the Orioles are lurking with an excellent (if all goes well) pitching staff ready for 2011. The East is going to be crammed with good teams and the NYY need to shore up their pitching or they are going to be also rans. JMO. -- Al

Lee and Greinke now wrapped up and the NYY still sitting on their hands. I see a big problem for them. Boston now the big favorite in the AL East and, I do not jest, the Orioles are lurking with an excellent (if all goes well) pitching staff ready for 2011. The East is going to be crammed with good teams and the NYY need to shore up their pitching or they are going to be also rans. JMO. -- Al

Al,
Greinke was never, ever going to land in New York with his disorder, the kid would have had a meltdown pitching in the Bronx, the Brewers got him for next to nothing, then Wood resigned with the Cubs, he was good for them out of the bullpen last year................so much for plan B for the Yankees, on to plans C-Z.

At this point, all they can do is put the team on the field, hope they hang around till the trading deadline, then find some small market team or two with talented players going into free agency that they can grab.

The Red Sox signed Crawford, Jenks, Wheeler and traded for Gonzalez, they addressed the middle of their order, outfield defense, speed and their bullpen..........

Greinke never wanted to come to NY so that was never a possibility. For some, this is just not the place to be.

It's also refreshing that some like Lee and Wood aren't going just for the money but want to be in a place where they want to be. In Wood's case, he was at Ron Santo's funeral and decided that he missed Chicago. I think that's great that he decided he wanted to be there and not just go where he could have received more money.

In case anyone recognizes that there is baseball outside of Boston or NY...

The Brewers have made some interesting moves this offseason. The trade for Greinke was nice, but they also picked up Shaun Marcum from Toronto to go with Yovani Gallardo and Randy Wolf. Put that with Prince Fielder and Ryan Bran and you have a pretty good line-up! We could always score...maybe now we can pitch as well.

In case anyone recognizes that there is baseball outside of Boston or NY...

The Brewers have made some interesting moves this offseason. The trade for Greinke was nice, but they also picked up Shaun Marcum from Toronto to go with Yovani Gallardo and Randy Wolf. Put that with Prince Fielder and Ryan Bran and you have a pretty good line-up! We could always score...maybe now we can pitch as well.
Many moons ago, there was also a good team in Baltimore called the Orioles. Then a big, bad ogre purchased the franchise and night descended. Now a ray of sunshine is coming over the horizon (Showalter and some good pitchers) and maybe the Orioles will come out of the darkness and into contention in the AL East again. I can afford to be optimistic as it is still December.;) -- Al

It has been quiet on the personel front for my NYY and Orioles. Not much off season improvement going on. The Nats have made some low key aquisitions but never have got the big pitcher to anchor the rotation. Kind of a status quo off season, so far. Just a few weeks left till the pitchers and catchers report. -- Al

I don't know about that Al. The Yanks signed Soriano from Tampa Bay. That's a pretty good pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back