Baseball 2011 (2 Viewers)

I Meant Cain, And with Him,Lincecum, Sanchez, And Bumgarner, We have a Real good Chance Of Being on top Of our Division Again, And If Zito finally finds His Old self. That is a pretty Formidable Group.

You guys interesting in trading any starter but Zito? We can provide you with some tremendous offensive players . . . :wink2:

I know every spring I get excited for my Orioles but this year I'm really excited!!!! the way Showalter had my boys playing last August and September was great, and with the pick up of Reynolds from Az, and Vlad a couple days ago I'm very hopeful this team ....can I say it for real??? maybe have a shot at the playoffs?? we'll see I think they are a talented bunch playing for a good coach, to bad we have to be in the AL East, but with some good pitch'n and I think the O'S will be a good hitting team, don't look past my boys so easy this year...Sammy

I know every spring I get excited for my Orioles but this year I'm really excited!!!! the way Showalter had my boys playing last August and September was great, and with the pick up of Reynolds from Az, and Vlad a couple days ago I'm very hopeful this team ....can I say it for real??? maybe have a shot at the playoffs?? we'll see I think they are a talented bunch playing for a good coach, to bad we have to be in the AL East, but with some good pitch'n and I think the O'S will be a good hitting team, don't look past my boys so easy this year...Sammy
Hi Sammy. I'm very optimistic about the O's this year. With decent hitting, and what I consider to be very good pitching, Showalter will make this team a contender, or at least a team that has to be reckoned with. I think if the O's were in any other division.... -- Al

You guys interesting in trading any starter but Zito? We can provide you with some tremendous offensive players . . . :wink2:

At least this year, I do not see that happening. We have 4 starting pitchers that are in their twenties, have not reached their prime, yet. I am still pulling For Zito to stay a SF Giant until he retires, He has a lot to prove to the fans, to the team, And to himself. And that can only be done, with this team, Or it will hang on him. For the rest of his life ( If I was him, I would restructure my contract, To include another 2 years, But still get paid the same amount that is owed to him, In exchange for a no trade clause).

At least this year, I do not see that happening. We have 4 starting pitchers that are in their twenties, have not reached their prime, yet. I am still pulling For Zito to stay a SF Giant until he retires, He has a lot to prove to the fans, to the team, And to himself. And that can only be done, with this team, Or it will hang on him. For the rest of his life ( If I was him, I would restructure my contract, To include another 2 years, But still get paid the same amount that is owed to him, In exchange for a no trade clause).

It was only wishful thinking on my part. The Yankees are a team whose only chance of winning a title this year is to pull off a big trade for a #1 type starter. The Yankees need to make that trade, have Burnett have a bounceback year where he wins at least 15 games, and have somebody slot in a serviceable #5 starter from the band of has beens and never will be's the Yankees have signed, and even then they will be a wildcard team unless something dramatically bad happens to the Red Sox pitching staff.

The only thing the Mets seem to have to look forward to this year are more Madoff news and hopefully getting new owners:(

The only thing the Mets seem to have to look forward to this year are more Madoff news and hopefully getting new owners:(

Yes, but if the commissioner forces them to sell the team, and the right ownership buys the team, your Mets could get good fast. You have around $60 million in contracts expiring at the end of this season. Replace that $60 million in salary with two top starting pitchers and a top position player who drives in runs, get your injured players (especially Santana) healthy, and the Mets could be a real contender in 2012.

the Mets could be a real contender in 2012.

See, there you go Brad, wait til next year...............that can be your rallying cry.

How's that Jason Bay signing working out for you?

When are teams going to learn to stay away from players like Bay and Beltre who pad their stats at Fenway, how stupid can you be?

Prior to the Madoff issue coming to light, I would have agreed with you: they would get rid of a lot of committed money and then proceed to be a player. However, the Madoff thing could bog them down for awhile. I don't see it going away quickly.

Wow Louis,

Give the guys a chance to get to Spring Training before you get all Red Sox rule and Yankees suck on me! They have some issues to be sure but to toss in the towel right now seems to be a bit too drastic. Lets give them a chance to play some ball before we give up.

Dave

Wow Louis,

Give the guys a chance to get to Spring Training before you get all Red Sox rule and Yankees suck on me! They have some issues to be sure but to toss in the towel right now seems to be a bit too drastic. Lets give them a chance to play some ball before we give up.

Dave

Dave,

I haven't given up. As I said, there are things that have to happen for the Yanks to win this year, principally (1) a big trade for a top starter and (2) A.J. Burnett to have a year like his first year with the Yankees. If these two things happen the Yanks have a good chance to get back to 2009 form.

While we wait for the trade, we need to have the offense and the bullpen keep us in the playoff hunt. If we are within 5-10 games of first place and within a game or two of the wildcard lead on the day we make a trade for a number one type starter, we will be in business. With the Yankees solid lineup and bullpen, a rotation of C.C. Sabathia, the traded for #1 type starter, Phil Hughes and a bounce-back A.J. Burnett put the Yankees firmly in the hunt, right up there with the Phillies, the Giants, and the Red Sox for the title. Those four teams could very likely fill out the NLCS and ALCS, especially with the Rays and Rangers losing key players to free agency.

I have no doubt that there will be at least one team with at least one good starter out of the race and willing to make a trade, so believe me, I am not giving up, just being realistic about what we need to do.

See, there you go Brad, wait til next year...............that can be your rallying cry.

How's that Jason Bay signing working out for you?

When are teams going to learn to stay away from players like Bay and Beltre who pad their stats at Fenway, how stupid can you be?

Bay did have a bad year but was hurt most of the second half so hopefully this year will be better. I think Beltre signed with someone else ^&confuse

Waiting till next year will have to be the only option, which will make the victories they get that much sweeter to savor since there won't be as many of them, somewhere in the nature 72 to 77 I assume.

Bay did have a bad year but was hurt most of the second half so hopefully this year will be better. I think Beltre signed with someone else ^&confuse

Waiting till next year will have to be the only option, which will make the victories they get that much sweeter to savor since there won't be as many of them, somewhere in the nature 72 to 77 I assume.

You are much closer to the story than I am, but I hope that whole thing doesn't implode as there is a fairly new stadium that still has to be paid for, plus player salaries, anything involving Madoff is a scary proposition, good luck with all of that, hope the franchise can survive this.........

Wow Louis,

Dave

it's all academic at this point- you guys can all discuss #2, we Phillies fanatics will start polishing the trophy at game 5. :tongue:

it's all academic at this point- you guys can all discuss #2, we Phillies fanatics will start polishing the trophy at game 5. :tongue:

Chris,

Check out the 4th post on this thread, where I, a lifelong Yankee fan, stated:

"You can crown the Phillies now, and for at least 2 more in the next 4 years. With a rotation of Roy Halliday, Cliff Lee, Cole Hammels and Roy Oswalt, and that lineup, there is no team that can touch them in a playoff series. Boston has a lineup that can hit with them, but as good as Boston's rotation is, they just can't lineup against the Phillies rotation 1-4."

I think this year is your's my friend, but I think by 2012 the Yankees will have reloaded with at least 2 aces via free-agency, trade or their farm system, and we will have a rematch of the 2009 World Series.

Wahoo! Pitchers and catchers report and baseball is back in the sports page. Today's articles have some great stuff on the Phillies and Giants. Only 6 more weeks till Opening Day.... -- Al

just an FYI Al- EVERYTHING PHILLIES related is considered GRREAT!! It's sort of redundant to put Great and Phillies together- they are one in the same.
Hi Chris. I still remember when the Phillies used to put up records like 1972's 59-97 club. What was special about that record? Steve Carlton. He had one of baseball's alltime great years with a terrible team. Carlton went 27-10 with a 1.97 ERA and won the Cy Young award. Still awed by a 27 win pitcher on a team that only won 59 total games. Tough to find a pitcher with a higher percentage of a teams wins than Carlton. Lefty was a good 'un. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back