Baseball 2011 (1 Viewer)

Al,

Here's a news article on the signing.
Wow. Big signing that was off the radar down here in DC area. With Mariano aging, this signing could be bigger in the future than it will be next year. Great addition to the bullpen in any case. Thanks for the link. -- Al

Interesting pick up to be sure. He was pretty amazing last year so maybe we did get a good one. Of course time will tell if he can handle NYC. Looking forward to some good games this year.

Dave

I agree Al: that's a very good signing for them. Could make most games a seven inning affair.

In case anyone recognizes that there is baseball outside of Boston or NY....

That was the biggest problem with Ken Burns' documentary. If all someone knew about baseball came from that series, he'd know the Yankees, the (New York) Giants, the Red Sox and the (Boston) Braves, and the Negro Leagues. Oh, at there was some guy named Pete Rose who lived out West, but we can't say anything more about him.

Spoken like a true Phillies fan, not that you had much to really cheer for until recently except 1950 and 1980.

That was the biggest problem with Ken Burns' documentary. If all someone knew about baseball came from that series, he'd know the Yankees, the (New York) Giants, the Red Sox and the (Boston) Braves, and the Negro Leagues. Oh, at there was some guy named Pete Rose who lived out West, but we can't say anything more about him.
I would have liked to have seen more about the St. Louis Cardinals. They have won the 2nd most WS titles (10) after the NYY (27). There are many great teams out of St. Louis, not to mention the many Hall of Fame players who have played for them. Would also liked to see more about the early Athletics (Connie Mack's teams). The Athletics are 3rd on the WS list with 9 titles. Mack just fascinates me as do his teams. -- Al

I agree Al: that's a very good signing for them. Could make most games a seven inning affair.

That's funny, because Yankees GM Brian Cashman thinks it's not a very good signing, paying a set up guy closer money.

So much so that he said today "I did not participate in the negotiations"..............have to love a guy who is honest, even if it means Hank Steinbrenner will now blow a head gasket.............

Ok, now that football season is over, someone needs to explain to me what is in the water down in New York.

The Yankees had a deal in place at the trading deadline to land Cliff Lee which fell through and he proceeded to pitch an 8 inning, 13 K 2 hit gem vs them in the ALCS.

Then after he and Crawford filed for free agency, the entire planet penciled Lee in as a starter for the Yankees and they were the front runners for Crawford.

Add Lee and Crawford, might as well hang banner #28; they get neither.

Then they go out and pay 35 million over 3 years for a closer that their GM did not want, then sign Chavez (I thought he retired two years ago), Prior (see Chavez), Colon (see Chavez and Prior), Jones, Martin, Garcia and Belliard.

Then Pettitte retireds.

If this was 2001-2, I'd say all of those signings were briliant, but it's 2011.

Ok Al, Louis and Michael, what say you?

Ok, now that football season is over, someone needs to explain to me what is in the water down in New York.

The Yankees had a deal in place at the trading deadline to land Cliff Lee which fell through and he proceeded to pitch an 8 inning, 13 K 2 hit gem vs them in the ALCS.

Then after he and Crawford filed for free agency, the entire planet penciled Lee in as a starter for the Yankees and they were the front runners for Crawford.

Then they go out and pay 35 million over 3 years for a closer that their GM did not want, then sign Chavez (I thought he retired two years ago), Prior (see Chavez), Colon (see Chavez and Prior), Jones, Martin, Garcia and Belliard.

Then Pettitte retireds.

Can't disagree with anything you said, other then to say that paying a set up man closer money may not be a bad move if he turns out to be the next closer for the team in 3 years when the great Mariano retires.

Cliff Lee was plan A through Y (Crawford would have been plan Z - we weren't winning anything this year without a top starter). When he chose the Phillies over the money, the Yanks were hosed for 2011.

The Yankees only possible plan for this year is to hang around in position for the wildcard until a crappy team with one top starter looks to dump payroll before the trade deadline, and trade one of their catching prospects for him. They also have some unbelievable pitching prospects at the double and triple-A levels who are about 1-2 years away. Maybe they can turn one of them into the 5th starter.

Unless a trade pans out for a top starter, the Yanks either miss the playoffs or crawl in as the wildcard and get knocked out in the first round.

Then Pettitte retireds.

Hi George. Wish I could answer the question. The only signing that kind of made sense to me was Soriano, because of Mariano's age. I don't get Prior, Colon, oh heck, any of them. I wonder if they took lessons from the Orioles front office.:rolleyes2: We shall see. -- Al

The funny thing is Al to me the Soriano signing makes the least amount of sense, Mo is a warrior, the greatest closer of all time, there will never, ever be another one as good as he's been and he shows no signs of slowing down IMO.

All I know is if the shoe was on the other foot and the Red Sox had the kind of off season the Yankees have had, they'd be rioting in front of Fenway.

No pennant has ever been won on paper, but the Yankees moves have been staggering to me.........

Keep an eye on the Orioles. If they go down the tubes early, they have some outstanding, young pitchers that a team like the NYY are going to go after. Then again, maybe Showalter can keep the magic rolling and actually contend. Come on April, enough of this snow crap. Play ball! -- Al

Didn't The GIANTS win Against the Phillies?, And Beat LEE Twice In the World Series. Do not Count Your Chickens Yet.

That's correct, the SF Giants, my second favorite baseball team, been a fan since the early 70's, came close a couple of times with no cigar until this band of misfits took the prize, a great story, city, fan base and that ballpark is a treasure.......................

That's correct, the SF Giants, my second favorite baseball team, been a fan since the early 70's, came close a couple of times with no cigar until this band of misfits took the prize, a great story, city, fan base and that ballpark is a treasure.......................

Been a fan Since the 70's too, Watched Mccovey, Lemaster, Darrel Evans, To Matt Williams, Will the thrill Clark, ,REuschel. To Bonds, Kent, Nen. To finally Lincecum, Vain, Huff. A lot of Heart breaks. But here on top of the World For now.

Been a fan Since the 70's too, Watched Mccovey, Lemaster, Darrel Evans, To Matt Williams, Will the thrill Clark, ,REuschel. To Bonds, Kent, Nen. To finally Lincecum, Vain, Huff. A lot of Heart breaks. But here on top of the World For now.

All of those names are familiar; Will the Thrill hit nothing but peas, tore the cover off the ball.....being on top of the world is nice, been there twice, both were special, the first one in 2004 will stay with me till they drop me in the ground.............

I was a huge SF fan back in the 60's when the Giants were led by Mays, Marichal, and McCovey. Many greats on those teams; Cepeda, Lanier, the Alou's (all 3 at one time), Perry, McCormick, McDaniel, Bolin. They were good teams that always seemed to finish second. It was very frustrating, but watching the 3 M's was worth it. -- Al

I Meant Cain, And with Him,Lincecum, Sanchez, And Bumgarner, We have a Real good Chance Of Being on top Of our Division Again, And If Zito finally finds His Old self. That is a pretty Formidable Group.

I Meant Cain, And with Him,Lincecum, Sanchez, And Bumgarner, We have a Real good Chance Of Being on top Of our Division Again, And If Zito finally finds His Old self. That is a pretty Formidable Group.
A VERY formidable pitching staff. Just need to stay healthy. SF looks good for a while. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back