Baseball 2011 (4 Viewers)

The NYY clinched th AL East crown last night by completing a double-header sweep of Tampa. Won both games 4-2 and won them both with 8th inning scores that left the Rays with only 3 outs to come back, which they couldn't do. All but killed the Rays chances of the post-season by leaving them tied with the Angels, 2.5 games behind the Bosox, for the wild-card spot. There are only 7 games left for the Rays or Angels to catch up and even though the Bosox are struggling (5-16) in September, I still think the Sox will hang on, IF the can figure out how to beat the O's. The O's, aka The Dream Squashers, have had a big impact on the race for the final playoff spot by winning recent series against Boston (3-1), LAA (2-1), Tampa (2-1), and splitting with the NYY 2-2. Good chance the whole wild-card race will come down to Boston's final 3 games of the season in Baltimore. The Dream Squashers may be last but at least they are still playing hard and cannot be ignored. The Bosox have left themselves a hard road by slumping at this time of year and now have to finish with 3 games in NY and then Baltimore. The starters for the NY series for Boston include Wakefield and Lackey (why is he still starting?), which means it is going to be tough for Boston to win. We shall see. Three teams with the season still hanging in the balance. What a great sport. -- Al

The NYY clinched th AL East crown last night by completing a double-header sweep of Tampa. Won both games 4-2 and won them both with 8th inning scores that left the Rays with only 3 outs to come back, which they couldn't do. All but killed the Rays chances of the post-season by leaving them tied with the Angels, 2.5 games behind the Bosox, for the wild-card spot. There are only 7 games left for the Rays or Angels to catch up and even though the Bosox are struggling (5-16) in September, I still think the Sox will hang on, IF the can figure out how to beat the O's. The O's, aka The Dream Squashers, have had a big impact on the race for the final playoff spot by winning recent series against Boston (3-1), LAA (2-1), Tampa (2-1), and splitting with the NYY 2-2. Good chance the whole wild-card race will come down to Boston's final 3 games of the season in Baltimore. The Dream Squashers may be last but at least they are still playing hard and cannot be ignored. The Bosox have left themselves a hard road by slumping at this time of year and now have to finish with 3 games in NY and then Baltimore. The starters for the NY series for Boston include Wakefield and Lackey (why is he still starting?), which means it is going to be tough for Boston to win. We shall see. Three teams with the season still hanging in the balance. What a great sport. -- Al

Well gee, I guess Buck was right this year when he said before the season started he was going to enjoy beating the fat cat Red Sox and their bloated payroll with his team and their 32.00 payroll, they took 3 out of 4 this week and can finish off the Red Sox season next weekend in front of 314 amped up O's fans.

Baseball fever; catch it....................

Well gee, I guess Buck was right this year when he said before the season started he was going to enjoy beating the fat cat Red Sox and their bloated payroll with his team and their 32.00 payroll, they took 3 out of 4 this week and can finish off the Red Sox season next weekend in front of 314 amped up O's fans.

Baseball fever; catch it....................
Hey! You forgot me, George. That makes at least 315 amped up O's fans. The O's are playing for a big goal. Two more wins this season gives them 67 for the year, one more victory than they managed last year. At that rate of improvement, I can expect to see the O's back in the WS by around the year 2041, or so. No, wait, I'll be dead. Nevermind.:D -- Al

Forgot to mention that the Cards have crept to within 1.5 games of the Braves for the NL wild-card spot. Might be too late, but the Cards are hot at the right time. With only the Mets, Cubs, and the Lastros left on the schedule, the Cards have a much better last 7 games match-up than the Braves who must play the hot Nationals and the 1st place Phillies. That is going to be an exciting last week, too. -- Al

I root for the Cards in the NL Central, so I was glad to see them start to come on and make a go at it. I'd love to see them edge the Braves out of the wild card race. I hate the Braves. And the Mets. The Nats and the Fish, I can tolerate them, because they haven't been around long enough for their fans to be cocky. When the Braves were billed as "America's Team", that really used to chafe. Sure, it was Turner promoting his team, but still. That, and that idiotic Tomahawk Chop. It's great to see fans in other parks do that to the Braves, when they play on the road.

Rob,

You come to New York, and I will take you to a Yankees game with my kids, and then to NYY Steaks (the steakhouse at Yankee Stadium) for dinner after the game, my treat. You will have a great time.:smile2:

Louis you are a gentleman and one of these days I will get to take you up on your very kind offer my friend.:)

Rob

I root for the Cards in the NL Central, so I was glad to see them start to come on and make a go at it. I'd love to see them edge the Braves out of the wild card race. I hate the Braves. And the Mets. The Nats and the Fish, I can tolerate them, because they haven't been around long enough for their fans to be cocky. When the Braves were billed as "America's Team", that really used to chafe. Sure, it was Turner promoting his team, but still. That, and that idiotic Tomahawk Chop. It's great to see fans in other parks do that to the Braves, when they play on the road.
Never much cared for the Braves, either. Back in the 90's, when the Braves were winning one division title after another, I always rooted against them. The Braves were always loaded with great pitchers such as Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz, but except for the 1 WS title that was won, the Braves were always coming up short. Went to 5 WS and only won the one. Those great pitchers like Maddux and Glavine were under .500 in post season play. The Braves had the personel to win them all, but something was missing. Their fans must really lament the missed opportunities. T-- Al

Seems it is all over but the crying. Last nights games pretty well finished the races. All the division titles are now won with only the wildcard teams still undecided. Even the "undecided" is just technical. In the AL, both the LAA and the Rays failed, once again, to win and close on Boston. Boston has a 2.5 game lead on Tampa and 3.5 on LAA with just 5 games left. Game over unless Boston goes all but winless. In the NL, the Cards choked their chances to close on Atlanta. Their epic 9th inning collapse the other night carried over to last night's game as well, with further late inning problems. The Cards are 3 out with 5 left, otherwise known as "wait till next year". Let the playoffs begin! -- Al

Do us a favor, spare us your Philly crap. You're the best team right now -- and I mean right now -- so try to be a little magnaminous, which I know is a little hard for Philadelphia fans. After all, what can you say about fans who boo Santa Claus?

Last night about midnight I popped onto espn.com on my Droid to check out the happenings in the world of sports.

Story #1: The NBA lockout cancells games. Not suprising...but newsworthy.

Story #2: BYU winning a CFB game. Again, given the value given to football in this country...newsworthy.

Story #3: The Yanks and Red Sox rained out and playing a double header the next day. That is EXACTLY the kind of cutting edge news that I depend on ESPN for. I was THRILLED that they were on top of things and could let me know that I shouldn't expect 14 stories about this storied rivalry. No game played...definitely the MOST newsworthy of any baseball event of the evening.

After poking around the site a bit, I found a tidbit that the Brewers had clinched the NL Central for their first division title since 1982. I'm a bit shocked that ESPN even bothered to cover such an insignificant event.

Thank you ESPN for your tireless efforts to cover MLB in a fair and balanced manner.

Pete,

Congrats to you and all suffering Brewer fans. Hope you go far in the post season, all the way to the WS :)

I started my life as a Brewers fan as a lad back in 1982 in the days of Harvey's Wallbangers. Cecil Cooper. Robin Yount. Paul Molitor. Good times.

Little did I know that by the time we'd win another Division Title I'd have a son older that I'd been in 1982!

This has been a LONG time in coming...and would never have happened if the lovely Selig family still owned the team. Hats off to Mark Attanasio for finally getting past the 'we're just a small market team' chatter and building something special.

Bring on the playoffs!!!!

Yes, I remember that 82 team. Great WS. Shame they didn't win, with all the good players they had.

Agree with you on the Seligs. As a commissioner, nowhere as good as Vincent or Giamatti.

I'd like to see the Brew Crew get to the WS, too. Just that little matter of the bullie boys in Philly. Gonna be a tough assignment for anyone to take out Philly but if anyone in the NL has a chance, it's the Brewers. They have a pitching staff that can do a decent job of matching up and an off day by any of the Philly wonder boys will give the Brewers a foot in the door. Good luck Milwaukee. -- Al

I root for the Cards in the NL Central....

I'm with you Brad, but I think we might have used up all our luck....

In the NL, the Cards choked their chances to close on Atlanta. Their epic 9th inning collapse the other night carried over to last night's game as well, with further late inning problems. The Cards are 3 out with 5 left, otherwise known as "wait till next year". Let the playoffs begin! -- Al

Al, you are right. When the Cards bullpen blew that 4-run lead the other night, I had a feeling it was might be the beginning of the end. We've been on a great run the last couple of weeks, but I think it came just a little too late. Pehaps they can win out, you can only go to the well so many times before you don't have anything left.

I started my life as a Brewers fan as a lad back in 1982 in the days of Harvey's Wallbangers. Cecil Cooper. Robin Yount. Paul Molitor. Good times.

Little did I know that by the time we'd win another Division Title I'd have a son older that I'd been in 1982!

This has been a LONG time in coming...and would never have happened if the lovely Selig family still owned the team. Hats off to Mark Attanasio for finally getting past the 'we're just a small market team' chatter and building something special.

Bring on the playoffs!!!!

Pete, enjoy your Division title. I guess the Brew Crew can have a turn for once!^&grin As a Cards fan, I guess the Brewers will be my adopted team for the playoffs. Have to root for the NL Central.

Noah

I'd like to see the Brew Crew get to the WS, too. Just that little matter of the bullie boys in Philly. Gonna be a tough assignment for anyone to take out Philly but if anyone in the NL has a chance, it's the Brewers. They have a pitching staff that can do a decent job of matching up and an off day by any of the Philly wonder boys will give the Brewers a foot in the door. Good luck Milwaukee. -- Al

Al, true, Philadelphia is tough, but they are beatable. St. Louis did had a winning record against them for the season and took 3 out of 4 last weekend. I agree, Milwaukee has a good shot of taking the Phils down.

Noah

Even though we have the division, our work is not done. We're still only a game ahead of the Diamondbacks for 2nd place in the NL (and home field in the first round). I'd much rather face the Phils after winning a series...

Al, true, Philadelphia is tough, but they are beatable. St. Louis did had a winning record against them for the season and took 3 out of 4 last weekend. I agree, Milwaukee has a good shot of taking the Phils down.

Noah
True, Philly can be beat. The Nats just swept them and ended the season 9-8 against them. Might be a good time to catch the Phillies, while they are going bad. Always liked the Cards and I was hoping they would catch the Braves. Have been a Card watcher since the 60's since Bob Gibson and Lou Brock played. Still say that if I had to win one game with everything on the line, I would put Gibson on the mound. Never seen a better big game pitcher in 50 years of watching baseball. -- Al

True, Philly can be beat. The Nats just swept them and ended the season 9-8 against them. Might be a good time to catch the Phillies, while they are going bad. Always liked the Cards and I was hoping they would catch the Braves. Have been a Card watcher since the 60's since Bob Gibson and Lou Brock played. Still say that if I had to win one game with everything on the line, I would put Gibson on the mound. Never seen a better big game pitcher in 50 years of watching baseball. -- Al

I would agree on Gibson, as his control was amazing. Is it too late to bring him back in? There are a couple of guys in the current Cards bullpen who he could replace.....^&grin

Speaking of which, the blown saves this year have been a killer for St. Louis.

Noah

It's not just Gibbie's talent or for that matter guys like Drysdale, Marichal, Seaver or Koufax, but the attitude they brought to the mound, that fierceness, the willingness to pitch inside. Today's pitchers, forget it. Only one I have respect for is Halladay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back