Baseball 2011 (1 Viewer)

Going into the last game of the season (a day game), the Mets have nothing to play for except to see if Reyes can win the batting title and hold off Ryan Braun who he led by about a point and half, and become the first Mets to do so. Cleon Jones actually hit higher in 1969, .340, but he came in second in the batting title.

In the first inning, Reyes leads off with a bunt single to raise his average to .337. The manager, Terry Collins, then takes him out of the game. I was stunned. The Mets announcers, Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling, were stunned and disagreed with the move. It was like the fizz was taken out of the game. The Mets may not re-sign Reyes and the fans wanted to cheer him on in case this was his last game as a Met (hopefully not), not to mention that he could still lose the title if Braun goes 3 for 4. He got two or three hits last night (including 2 HRs) so the likelihood is he probably would have gotten another hit. That's just not the way to play baseball.

When Ted Williams was going for .400 in 1941, his manager offered to sit him down the last day of the year so he would get his .400. Williams said nothing doing and went 6 for 8 (or something like that) in a doubleheader to finish at .406. That's the way to play the game and show if you're worthy.

I'm just watching the post game show and apparently as soon as he reached first base Reyes told the manager that he wanted out, and Collins felt he had to oblige. What he hell is going on? Unbelievable! :mad: I hope Braun goes 4 for 4 tonight to teach this jerk a lesson.

The Nationals just finished what has to be described as a sucessful season by winning the last game of the season, 3-1, against the Marlins. The Nats finished 80-81 (one rainout not made up), good enough for third place in the NL East and an improvement of 11 games over 2010. They could be a big factor in the NL next year. They have a crop of young pitchers coming into their own, starters, mid-relief, and closer. So, as the saying goes, "Wait till next year!". -- Al

Tampa Bay, once down 7-0, has now made it 7-6, going to the 9th.

Rays have tied the game!
Heck of a come-back. The only thing I find odd is that in a one run game, no Mo for the NYY. I guess we know how important this game was to the Yankees.:rolleyes2: Braves and Phillies are tied, too. Great baseball. -- Al

Is this great, or what? Only the Cards have won, so far. Two of the essential wildcard games have gone to extra innings. I can't stop watching. I keep flipping from game to game and tracking them on the computer, all at the same time! -- Al

I don't believe it! Atlanta has completed their meltdown and lost in the 13th inning! The Cards have won the Wild Card outright, completing a superb month of baseball. What an outstanding finish to the season for the Redbirds!

Noah

Rays have tied the game!

Awesome; the doofin rays and their .87 cent payroll score 6 in the 8th, 1 in the 9th to tie the game, meanwhile the Orioles score one in the bottom of the ninth to tie the game with the Red Sox.

Please, for the love of God you Orioles you, score again and Doofin Rays, win it on a walk off in front of 33,000 frontrunners to win the wild card and end this Bataan Death march of a season for the Red Sox.

PLEASE.

Awesome; the doofin rays and their .87 cent payroll score 6 in the 8th, 1 in the 9th to tie the game, meanwhile the Orioles score one in the bottom of the ninth to tie the game with the Red Sox.

Please, for the love of God you Orioles you, score again and Doofin Rays, win it on a walk off in front of 33,000 frontrunners to win the wild card and end this Bataan Death march of a season for the Red Sox.

PLEASE.
George, I want that crystal ball. You just called them both. I warned the Bosox about the Dream Squashers but they wouldn't listen to me. -- Al

George, I want that crystal ball. You just called them both. I warned the Bosox about the Dream Squashers but they wouldn't listen to me. -- Al

Between this and the Patriots/Bills prediction, I'm on a roll.

What an epic failure, blowing a 9 1/2 game lead in the process.

Up 3-2, two outs, two strikes, three strait hits, 4-3 loss while the Rays come back from the dead down 7-0 to win 8-7.

They lost 20 games in the month of September.

Epic gag job.

64 Phillies and 07 Mets have just welcomed the 11 Braves and 11 Sox to the Chokers Club. Incredible turn of events.

Too bad they couldn't have found a space for the Cards. Well, be happy the Braves choked. Can't believe the Red Sox had this happen. A real shame. They seemed in control just as Papelbon seemed in control tonight.

Is this great, or what? Only the Cards have won, so far. Two of the essential wildcard games have gone to extra innings. I can't stop watching. I keep flipping from game to game and tracking them on the computer, all at the same time! -- Al
Congratulations to the Cards and the Rays. What a month of baseball. Two epic collapses and it all goes down to extra innings on the last day of the season. Whew! Can the playoffs possibly be as good? I will be watching and hoping they will be. Also, the O's played good ball in September when they could have just thrown in the towel and played out the string. On September 1, I didn't see anyway for the O's to avoid 100 losses and a worse record than last years disasterous 66-96, but they fought hard all month and finished with 69 wins, bettering last season and scoring a moral victory for the off season. Wait till next year. -- Al

Sports talk radio tomorrow in the hub is going to be must listen to radio tomorrow, should be classic.

They way they played the last month of the season, they didn't deserve to make the playoffs.

Had they made it, they were looking at a 3 and out anyway, so what's the point.

Good luck to the wild card champion Doofin Rays in the playoffs, they and their 43 diehard fans.

Season on the line and they can't even sell out the stadium, what a joke.

Sports talk radio tomorrow in the hub is going to be must listen to radio tomorrow, should be classic.

They way they played the last month of the season, they didn't deserve to make the playoffs.

Had they made it, they were looking at a 3 and out anyway, so what's the point.

Good luck to the wild card champion Doofin Rays in the playoffs, they and their 43 diehard fans.

Season on the line and they can't even sell out the stadium, what a joke.

George, from a lifelong Yankee fan, our loss to the Rays did not sit well with me. Had we used Robertson and Rivera in the 8th and 9th, the Rays legit lose that game. With the Sox loss, a 1 game playoff between the 2 would determine the Wild card and everyone else's hands would be clean. That is how it should have gone down. The Rays can celebrate a comeback against out minor leaguers and part time mop up guys, but in reality, we owned them last night and should have made them earn the berth...No doubt I hate the Red Sox, but you should have taken care of your own business and I would not feel so bad today. This is not a rub, but how I honestly am taking our loss last night. Michael

Hi Guys,

Havent seen such an epic failure by the Sox in a long time. Sorry that it went that way. But as I was listening to Mike and Mike on AFN Radio this past lunch I must say that I agree with them on the way the game was handled by the Yankees. I think it would have been better to see them end the season on a win against Florida but to trot Rivera out in the 9th for a game that really ment nothing to the Yankees season would have been dumb. Right now we have the playoffs to contend with and need all the pitching arms rested and I would hate to see Rivera get a save last night only to possibly blow it in a playoff game. Do I like seeing them blow a 7 run lead? Nope. But I liked seeing the AAA guys get a little taste of the bigs its a good development tool for these younger guys.

Well lets hope the playoffs are as interesting as the last month of the season has been.

Dave

Woke up this AM and I still am hyped over last night's games. THAT is what sports and baseball is all about. The Rays were dead, down 7-0. The Braves and Bosox had won games in the 9th innings and couldn't quite nail the last out, which leads to disaster for them both. As a NYY and O's fan, I can't say that I am sad that Boston lost but I do feel somewhat bad about the way it fell into line. No fan should have to live through the collapses that happened to both the Braves and Bosox. But that is the nature of baseball. No time limit, but your team has to get 27 outs. Last night was a shining light for the greatness of the game of baseball that anyone who cared enough to follow, should remember forever. Baseball rules! Now, on to the playoffs and my hope that the NYY's pitching staff can cobble together enough good innings to get them another WS title. -- Al

I'm happy the Phils beat the Braves, and helped the Cardinals get into the post-season. Now I want the Phils to knock 'em back out again ;)

I'm happy the Phils beat the Braves, and helped the Cardinals get into the post-season. Now I want the Phils to knock 'em back out again ;)

So Brad, what I am reading into this is that you enjoyed the run the Cards were on for the excitment of it all, but now you want them to be smashed by the Phils! I see how it is....^&grin

We'll see how it goes. The Phils/Cards series from a couple weeks ago was a good one, so hopefully there will be some compelling games in this one.

Noah

So Brad, what I am reading into this is that you enjoyed the run the Cards were on for the excitment of it all, but now you want them to be smashed by the Phils! I see how it is....^&grin

We'll see how it goes. The Phils/Cards series from a couple weeks ago was a good one, so hopefully there will be some compelling games in this one.

Noah

I'm a Phillies fan, first and foremost. Growing up in Southeast PA, it could hardly be any different. The Cardinals are my favorite team in the NL Central, however.

My father and brother are Cardinal fans. I almost was-I had a Cardinals hat, and a pennant from 1964, the year I was born. But my dad sent them to an old college buddy of his, as a joke, when I was around 3. I tell him to this day, if he had let me keep them, I'd be a Cardinal fan today.

So, yes, I'm glad the Cardinals made it to the post-season, but now it's time to go. However, they won the season series with the Phils, and the way the Phils offense has been over the season, nothing is a forgone conclusion. The Cardinals have had spotty hitting, and pitching woes, both with starters and with their bullpen, so I think they have the tougher challenge, in the upcoming series.

If the Cards should eliminate the Phillies, though, I'll root for them all the way through to the World Series.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back