Baseball Hot Stove League 2016-2017 (1 Viewer)

I think Pudge has been accused of steroid use which is why I don't give him a shot, at least this year.

I think Pudge has been accused of steroid use which is why I don't give him a shot, at least this year.

If you check out photos of him and his teamates during their haydays, they all looked over ripped and bulked up. Wasn't Bagwell like that, also? Michael

If you check out photos of him and his teamates during their haydays, they all looked over ripped and bulked up. Wasn't Bagwell like that, also? Michael

This is the rub isn't it, they didn't call it "The steroid era" for nothing.

IMO, you can't exclude guys who got caught and let others slide who were clearly juicing but never got caught.

Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod, Ramirez are all supremely talented players who would been HOF locks had they not got caught. Ramirez is the best right handed hitter I've ever seen, he had the sweetest swing.

The writers and their high and mighty attitude are a joke; let them all in and stop with the nonsense.

For Clemens, Bonds and A-Rod not to be in the HOF is a disgrace.............

It would be a disgrace to let them in. If you have a known cheater, you need to take action. Obviously we don't know about all the cheaters but it would be irresponsible not to punish the ones we do know about.

Ralph Branca has passed away at the age of 90. He was famous as the Dodger pitcher who gave up Bobby Thompson's 'shot heard 'round the world' in 1951, allowing the Giants to win the pennant. RIP, Ralph. -- Al

It would be a disgrace to let them in. If you have a known cheater, you need to take action. Obviously we don't know about all the cheaters but it would be irresponsible not to punish the ones we do know about.

Baseball as a national sport was in the toilet before the famous Sosa/McGwire home run race to see who could beat out Maris; that summer saved the sport, all the owners got rich, the sport got rich, everyone got rich.

Now baseball tells those guys "Hey, thanks for the memories, but none of you are getting in the HOF"..............

Hypocrites.

How many NFL players in the HOF took steroids, pain killers, uppers, greenies, whatever it took to play and get bigger, faster, stronger.

If it was me, I'd let them all in; clearly you don't feel the same way.

We're all entitled to our opinion.........a baseball HOF without Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod and Ramirez is a joke.

That's my opinion.

It's no different than speeding. The police can't catch all speeders; they can't be everywhere at once. However, when they see a speeder they give him a ticket.

I never heard steroid allegations about Ivan Rodriguez. If there are any real allegations you are correct, the writers won't let him in.

Ralph Branca has passed away at the age of 90. He was famous as the Dodger pitcher who gave up Bobby Thompson's 'shot heard 'round the world' in 1951, allowing the Giants to win the pennant. RIP, Ralph. -- Al

RIP, Ralph Branca, a great ball player and a great man who supported his teammate Jackie Robinson. While most others refused to even acknowledge Robinson it was Branca who proudly stood beside him when Robinson first took the field on opening day in 1947.

His brother, who was in the crowd that day, was worried that someone would fire a gun at Jackie and hit Ralph instead by accident. Ralph reportedly replied that he would then die a hero.

Ralph was Bobby Valentine's father in law. Later in life Ralph found out that his Mother was Jewish and that he too was thus Jewish. Ralph thought that maybe giving up the HR was God's way of punishing for not practicing his Mother's religion.

Not an October 3 goes by when I don't think about that game, not that I saw it (I was only 11 months old, although I guess my Mother could have been listening to it or watching it; she was a big Giants fan) but because it's part of the lore of NY baseball when NY baseball was king.

The Mets have made a huge splash and statement with their signing of Cespedes for $110 mil over 4 years. Now, that is declaration of a serious WS contender. -- Al

They didn't have much choice. Can you imagine what they would have looked like without him. I shudder to think. It was only when he got hot this year that they made a serious run at the WC.

They didn't have much choice. Can you imagine what they would have looked like without him. I shudder to think. It was only when he got hot this year that they made a serious run at the WC.

I had hoped the Giants would get him, I think the Met's made the right move.

Has anyone heard news about a new CBA? I heard one of the big changes they've agreed to is the team with the best record gets home field advantage in the World Series.

That's correct; it's been eliminated. One changed but material feature is that instead of receiving a first round pick when a team loses a top free agent, teams will now only receive a third round pick. This will hurt small market teams and instead of determining whether to trade a player in his walk year, teams may now do it a year earlier when they can receive greater compensation.

From what I heard on the local sports talk radio, there were several changes, including playing the 162 games over an extra week to allow for more days off and requiring all get away day games to have 1:00 starts. It all sounded pretty good to me, especially the team with the best record getting home field in the World Series.

The season starts about a week earlier to allow for more days off.

Winter meetings start Monday and they should be very interesting. Nats and Pirates are discussing a possible trade that would bring McCutchen to the Nats. What goes in return is the big question, probably one of the grade A young pitchers the Nats have and some young position player, but it won't be Trey Turner. -- Al

Oh yeah, the minimum salary for 2017 increases to $535 K. In 1973, the minimum salary was $16 K. How will they get by?:rolleyes2: -- Al

I have noticed the Yankees have continued to cut bait. They waived Eiovaldi, a starter with great stuff, but a terrible era and win percentage. I fully expect them to non-tender Chase Headley, and try to trade Brett Gardner. I am pleasantly surprised that they are giving the young players a chance finally, but unless they have starting pitching prospects I haven't heard about, I have no idea where their starting rotation will come from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back