Big boy’s games… big boy’s rules (4 Viewers)

It would have been so much for the better if this thread has never been posted, as it appears to be doing more harm than good.

While K&C has every right to enforce company policy as it sees fit, it should conduct its affairs with its dealer network privately.

It is obvious from the first post of the thread that some form of disciplinary action was taken against 2 dealers who were at Hackensack.

Most readers will not be privy to the full facts of the 2 cases, whether they attended the show or not.

Furthermore, K&C should have announced the price increases on its website and then on the forum.

It would have been a nice gesture of courtesy to collectors.

Raymond.

Bill I simply cannot believe an adult would try and link a price rise in Toy Soldiers by a Britsh person with the American revolution. He's actually suggesting that Andy is trying oppress Americans with the price rise!. Its like saying that everyone in this country think that the Dukes of Hazard was such a horrible programme that you sent it over here because of the revolution!.

Honestly its hilarious!

THEY ARE JUST TOY SOLDIERS!!!

JerrY springer, Jerry Springer, Jerry Springer

It would have been so much for the better if this thread has never been posted, as it appears to be doing more harm than good.

While K&C has every right to enforce company policy as it sees fit, it should conduct its affairs with its dealer network privately.

It is obvious from the first post of the thread that some form of disciplinary action was taken against 2 dealers who were at Hackensack.

Most readers will not be privy to the full facts of the 2 cases, whether they attended the show or not.

Furthermore, K&C should have announced the price increases on its website and then on the forum.

It would have been a nice gesture of courtesy to collectors.

Raymond.

Dear Raymond / "Glossman":

Well said! I agree with everything that you have noted in your posting noted just above. But at least those who may want to buy some pre 2009 copywrite dated sets have until late 2010 to get them at lower prices, indeed a lot lower if they are buying circa 2003 copywrite dated sets, ie, $21.00 USD Vs an increase of perhaps up to $32.00 USD for a single normal foot figure!

"Iron Brigade"

Last edited:
I still think that 5 dealers at a soldier show selling the exact same currently made product is too many. Individuals buying tables to sell their own personal collections??? Aren't people supposed to have a resale certificate of some type to get tables? As in - they are in business in one form or another and are responsible for paying sales tax. So, thats a business and therefore are not "authorized" K&C dealers. That is a problem too.

Above and beyond any of this, Andy shouldn't have posted this. It's just punitive and the news would have gotten out in the dealer circles as it had with Michigan Toy Soldier Co.

It's not endearing to the customer base. One thing if there is a direct attack and a response to it but this just wasn't necessary.

I still think that 5 dealers at a soldier show selling the exact same currently made product is too many. Individuals buying tables to sell their own personal collections??? Aren't people supposed to have a resale certificate of some type to get tables? As in - they are in business in one form or another and are responsible for paying sales tax. So, thats a business and therefore are not "authorized" K&C dealers. That is a problem too.

Above and beyond any of this, Andy shouldn't have posted this. It's just punitive and the news would have gotten out in the dealer circles as it had with Michigan Toy Soldier Co.

It's not endearing to the customer base. One thing if there is a direct attack and a response to it but this just wasn't necessary.

5 Does sound like a lot, I'm used to just one in London, must make for stiff competition for customers between them.

Rob

5 Does sound like a lot, I'm used to just one in London, must make for stiff competition for customers between them.

Rob

It's a recipe for this exact problem.

To make the show worthwhile, a dealer is now forced to do some things that could get them in trouble with the makers.

Then several customers start bragging about what great deals they got and this happens.

Congratulations on your bargains, congrats on your sales, congrats to the manufacturer who felt it necessary to prolong the conversation and the debate and congrats to the show organizers for filling tables. Great job all the way round for saving $10-$20 bucks on a set of figures.

Personally, I think Andy should give the cut dealers a pass on this, issue a warning, reinstate them and take it from there.

Many people discount in one way or another. I did it when I was a dealer for long standing good customers. Not a huge discount but enough to show appreciation. I NEVER used it as a way to poach customers. Overall, there is nothing wrong with this. Most people want to feel that there business is appreciated and that's it. Frankly, the bargain hunters are good for taking the stuff sitting around for years and years at a cheap price and that's all they're good for. Nothing more.

I never had trouble selling K&C so those bargain hunters would pay full price or not buy anything. It didn't matter.

It's a recipe for this exact problem.

To make the show worthwhile, a dealer is now forced to do some things that could get them in trouble with the makers.

Then several customers start bragging about what great deals they got and this happens.

Congratulations on your bargains, congrats on your sales, congrats to the manufacturer who felt it necessary to prolong the conversation and the debate and congrats to the show organizers for filling tables. Great job all the way round for saving $10-$20 bucks on a set of figures.

Personally, I think Andy should give the cut dealers a pass on this, issue a warning, reinstate them and take it from there.

Many people discount in one way or another. I did it when I was a dealer for long standing good customers. Not a huge discount but enough to show appreciation. I NEVER used it as a way to poach customers. Overall, there is nothing wrong with this. Most people want to feel that there business is appreciated and that's it. Frankly, the bargain hunters are good for taking the stuff sitting around for years and years at a cheap price and that's all they're good for. Nothing more.

I never had trouble selling K&C so those bargain hunters would pay full price or not buy anything. It didn't matter.

Well put description of the situation.

Terry

Hey Terry,

It's like this:

King & Country doesn't allow for multiple dealers in a close proximity with some very small exceptions.

Andy would certainly never sell to two dealers with shops within 50 feet of each other.

That is exactly what happens in a soldier show when there are multiple dealers (authorized or not) selling the same lines. Pretty simple.

Conte is different and I'm sure they've paid a price for that. They sold to the comic shop right next door to me. I knew they bought at most $500-$750/month while we bought several K per month. I requested that they not sell next door and they told me the same thing many here say: It's a free market.

I responded by cutting my price 30%, blowing it out and ceased ordering. We got a call pretty quick and an arrangement was made.

Andy is smarter than Conte this way but the soldier shows are a kind of blind spot and a cause for concern if he wants to maintain his pricing rules.

Hey Terry,

It's like this:

King & Country doesn't allow for multiple dealers in a close proximity with some very small exceptions.

Andy would certainly never sell to two dealers with shops within 50 feet of each other.

That is exactly what happens in a soldier show when there are multiple dealers (authorized or not) selling the same lines. Pretty simple.

Conte is different and I'm sure they've paid a price for that. They sold to the comic shop right next door to me. I knew they bought at most $500-$750/month while we bought several K per month. I requested that they not sell next door and they told me the same thing many here say: It's a free market.

I responded by cutting my price 30%, blowing it out and ceased ordering. We got a call pretty quick and an arrangement was made.

Andy is smarter than Conte this way but the soldier shows are a kind of blind spot and a cause for concern if he wants to maintain his pricing rules.

One point that I don't necessarily agree with. So much of TS is sold by Internet rather than through a storefront, how important is store location today. Toronto is a very big city and there is no K&C dealer here. Nor is there one in NYC. If having a storefront was so important, you would think those locations would have at least 1 dealer. The biggest dealer in Canada is in Quebec City, a small city 3 hours drive east of Montreal and 12 hours drive from Toronto. I can get to Chicago in 9 hours by car. And who ever heard of Eyota, Minn. unless they buy TS?

I think having 5 dealers of different sizes and private sellers all at one trade show is a temporary but bigger problem than having 2 storefronts close together.

Even though I live in the largest city in Canada, all my TS purchases are from pictures and over the internet.

Terry

I was the shop in NYC. But NYC is a peculiar market which many people don't understand one little bit.

New York City has the wealth to buy this stuff no doubt. So people have played with the idea of opening a Flagship type shop in mid town (as Andy had approached some people about doing with him).

Problem is that people don't understand the market there at all.

NYC is a place where you can earn a lot of money but be forced to live in a shoebox. Money is money and there to be made but space will prohibit and extensive collection of anything much less a diorama fitting in more than a book shelf. Then you have to find space for the books you removed.

Other than that, retail shops are a great luxury to have in their own rights but not always the best business practice these days as they can and will draw significant attention away from other sales channels.

I hear that an American clergymen is organizing a televised public melt down of toy soldiers gathered from collectors all over the globe in response to recent events. He claims that members of our hobby are part of a global Satanic cult. This could become the next international crisis. The media will likely milk this event for all it's worth and world leaders will plead that it be stopped before it gets out of hand.

These were all made from melted toy soldiers--plastic rather than the more costly metal ones.

Attachments

• war-bowl-made-from-melted-toy-soldiers-xl.jpg
    war-bowl-made-from-melted-toy-soldiers-xl.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 6,000parts.jpg
    6,000parts.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 230
  • VLgobe.jpg
    VLgobe.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 229
Polar Bear...

In all the pics I have seen on here these are the best and will probably not be beaten. The stars and stripes is anazing as is the globe.
Excellent
Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back