Britains', Is This Kind of Letter Necessary? (2 Viewers)

My comments were based on the original post by Jazzeum rather than your recent post. If you rake up old posts don't be surprised that other members may have a different opinion to what is the most relevant to them rather than yourself.

Didn't mean to ruffle you feathers....The Lt.

That is an oldie, made over two years ago. The original statement, viewed over the prism of time, is probably open to interpretation and it's not a statement I would make today. I'm sure we've all said things we probably don't agree with later on. This would appear to be one of them.

As regarding who makes the best toy soldiers, I'm still of the same opinion. However, Britains makes some very nice soldiers which I would like to collect had I the space and money. At the time I posted I didn't collect glossies and I certainly have a different mind about them two years later. In addition, new companies have come and gone and it's a much more competive world then what it once was, what with the likes of Figarti and HB in the 1/30 world.

Incidentally, the whole phrase is "the proof is in the taste of the pudding"

Thanks for responding Brad and your comments and like you I wish the funds and space were readly available so that I could go hog while in adding to my collection.........The Lt.

I received my new issue of Toy Soldier yesterday and saw the letter from Richard Walker of Britains in which he talked about how they're going to improve, "make some of the best toy soldiers ever made" (I think Andy might have something to say about that), etc. In other words, the normal amount of puffery you see from many folks, regardless of profession.

But then I came on the following disturbing paragraph and I quote "Top-rate American and British sculptors, not Chinese as was done in the past, have been brought on board. These sculptors have nailed the character likenesses, equipment details, and the overall feel and drape of the uniforms." Not only is the statement rascist but the clear implication is that Chinese sculptors can't make likenesses, details and feel and drape. This is just a lot of garbage because King and Country proves otherwise.

Now, I understand that Britains had trouble with some sculptors who happened to be located in China but the fact that they were Chinese is completely irrelevant. You don't have to be good or bad at what you do to be of a particular nationality or race. Those factors are simply irrelevant.

There are better ways to express a sentiment and if I were Mr. Walker he might want to think about that before publishing a letter in a public forum.

As Mr. Walker correctly points out, the proof is in the pudding whether or not they make the best toy soldiers ever made. Frankly, that train has left the station and Andy is the engineer. What remains to be seen is whether Britains can catch up and entice the new collector to buy their product.

I think that maybe just the way it is worded. Everything pretty much is made in China nowadays. I think he was refering to that fact that Britains will be using American & Britain scupltors and not Chinese not because the Chinese are not as good, but more of a way of bringing the company "back home" so to speak. A lot of people have issues with prodiucts made in CHina and I guess this could be one way to ease people. I guess the mistake was more in the wording of it.

A paragraph or saying can be interpretted differently depending on who is reading it, and as for K&C being the best well let's just agree to disagree :D;)

This is statement I made several years ago and I gave a recent explanation. Are we going to nitpick this one to death?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back