Concert Reviews - Live Music is Back! (1 Viewer)

tdubel

Registered Member
It has been a great week on the live music front! 2 concerts in 5 days, not bad and and a third coming up in a week. Feels awesome to be back.

A. Lindsey Buckingham - Fantastic event, he can still play and sing literally like the 1970s (he may move slightly slower!). Great mix of hits from Solo to Fleetwood Mac as well as his new album which sounds pretty good. Having seen the Fleetwood Mac tour in 2018 with Neil Finn .......................they are idiots to not bring Lindsey back. He is still the king of those songs. He did Tusk and Go Your Own Way, really cool to see him do them live.

B. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Was not old enough to see the original lineup of the 70s, but I saw them in 1989 first time (nearly all original members other than plane crash victims). Saw them last night with only a 1/2 original member left......................still the best **** live show out there. They still rock and have a good time. They did some really neat tributes to the deceased members as well as a huge tribute to our Military and the ones killed in Afghanistan recently. They still just burn the barn, took me back 30 plus years to the first time I saw them and countless times in between. They are just timeless. Interesting note - Montgomery who opened for them is a 22 year old country rock guy who was pretty darn good with his own stuff but he also did 2 covers and they are southern rock classics - Molly Hatchet Flirtin with Disaster (I Have never ever heard anyone cover that one and nail it like he did) as well as the timeless Marshall Tucker Band Can't You See.

Seeing these concerts with my 17 year old has been a real kick, however, there is a slight sad side to it as most of the acts I have seen in the last 5 years have been last go rounds, there is a huge void once these acts retire or pass on. The music of today like Taylor Swift while she may be talented I am sorry is just garbage compared to these many many acts. While you may not like every band from the 60s, 70s 80s or even early 90s, they actually wrote, played and composed music on actual instruments. Choreographed their own stage shows and generally have more talent in their pinkie than nearly all what passes for musicians and acts today. You only have to look at ticket sales to answer the question of why 70 year olds outsell new music - talent and longevity. Sad statement but true. I am thankful to still get to enjoy them even if it may be the last time live. The other sad part is it reminds me I am getting older!

On to Guns N Roses in a week!

TD

We went to Jimmy Buffet (27th year in a row -2020) in July and it was great to be at a concert again.

We went to the 2018 tour of Fleetwood Mac as well and I totally agree with your take on Lindsey.
Not the same band without him.
But then again if they were not fighting they wouldn't be Fleetwood Mac.

Guns N Roses - holy moly. What a show. They give you your money's worth and more. Opening act - Mammoth - Wolfgang van Halen. Great and surprising voice. My only complaint is the lack of diversity on the songs in that they sound alike, but again, he is an incredible musician.

GNR - not sure where to begin, but I saw them on the Illusion Tour 30 years ago with a full orchestra and choir on November Rain, so wasn't sure how they would measure up. (PS Did November Rain on Grand Piano - Axl was perfect) Also, they are notorious for cutting sets early, showing up late and Axl in general being disagreeable..............Well, scratch that. They played for 3hrs 20 mins through about 30 songs. Unbelievable range of the catalog including the live debut of another new song - Hard Skool. The new stuff is unique in that is has shades of punk, classic rock and metal. Best song of the night = Welcome to the Jungle, how Axl still nails that song at 60 is beyond me. Bonus of the night - cover of the Who's Seeker. Funny note, Axl launched mike into the crowd after final encore and it landed about 5 feet from us - caused quite a scrum! Again, they blew my expectations away, they all looked sober and actually were smiling a lot during the concert, will be interesting to see where they go, they only wasted about 25 years fighting!!!!!!!

Tom

On a more disappointing note - Judas Priest postpones rest of US 50th Anniversary tour. NOT b/c of covid - the youngest newer member of the band seemingly had a heart attack. You just can't make this up, of course wishing him a speedy recovery, but again, you just can't make up the shiite that has happened this past year. They all survive Covid with flying colors yet are derailed by this. And of course, they couldn't invite KK Downing back to his old gig as he has moved on with his new band. These stories with these bands have more twists and drama than daytime soaps. I knew I had it too good this week when GNR played a 3 plus hour gig and Axl smiled the whole time, I knew that was odd karma!

TD

Next Review

Genesis - saw them in Pittsburgh. Unbelievable considering Phil's mobility. His voice still seemed darn good to me and they rolled through the hits. Solid concert, thoroughly enjoyable. Phil's son Nick on drums - haunting actually how much he can play and look like Phil used to. Rest of the band looks the same, just older and grayer! Again, really enjoyable great night! One Note - Usually when I leave a concert, my ears are ringing, apparently Genesis is not as loud as most of what we see!!!!

Upcoming:

A. Bruce Dickinson - my son and I are going to his one man show, supposedly it is quite interesting and got a good review. No music, just Bruce being Bruce!

B. Judas Priest - reschedule for the third time, hopefully it is a charm so to speak. All reviews indicate this show is a winner.

C. Ozzy/Priest in Birmingham England - last night of the tour in his hometown, going for my 50th Bday in Summer of 2023.............I saw him first at age 12. Should be epic, I just hope his health holds out. He will be 74 for the show. May be a pipe dream, but I am willing to take the chance! Irony here is that I saw him in 2018 on the official opening night of this tour and if luck holds will see the final night nearly 5 yrs later, thanks Covid.................................BS.

Anyhow, what has anyone else ventured to see!

TD

Latest Reviews

A. Judas Priest 50 years with special guest Queensryche. MGM National Harbor - fantastic venue. Queensryche - of course not the same band from the 90s, they have a different singer since 2012 and usually that is a death knell. Well, I can honestly say, guy sounds a whole lot like the original, probably was a fan! They were good, but my biggest complaint is that when you are an opener, stay away from deep catalog cuts, how they did not play Jet City Woman or Silent Lucidity was beyond me and slightly disappointing. All in all, great opening band though. Ok, main event - the mighty Judas Priest - lead singer just turned 70! They were everything I thought they would be and a nice surpise since my last viewing was exactly 30 years previous. Great surprise was some different songs from their 50 years including Rocka Rolla and Turbo Lover. Also was happy they brought back the Green Manalishi (Fleetwood Mac cover) into their live set. And of course, got to see the Harley during Hell Bent For Leather. All in all 5 stars AND they are still the loudest band I have ever seen (except Motorhead), had the ears ringing for a few hours!

B. Bruce Dickinson one man show - thoroughly enjoyable, 5 stars. Guy is highly intelligent and the entire storyline of his education and then later his desire to become a pilot (he did and was a full blown captain for Brit Air on 747s) were highlights. I didn't know what to expect, but we were very happy we saw the show. Great way to spend an evening.

Tom

Latest Reviews

A. Judas Priest 50 years with special guest Queensryche. MGM National Harbor - fantastic venue. Queensryche - of course not the same band from the 90s, they have a different singer since 2012 and usually that is a death knell. Well, I can honestly say, guy sounds a whole lot like the original, probably was a fan! They were good, but my biggest complaint is that when you are an opener, stay away from deep catalog cuts, how they did not play Jet City Woman or Silent Lucidity was beyond me and slightly disappointing. All in all, great opening band though. Ok, main event - the mighty Judas Priest - lead singer just turned 70! They were everything I thought they would be and a nice surpise since my last viewing was exactly 30 years previous. Great surprise was some different songs from their 50 years including Rocka Rolla and Turbo Lover. Also was happy they brought back the Green Manalishi (Fleetwood Mac cover) into their live set. And of course, got to see the Harley during Hell Bent For Leather. All in all 5 stars AND they are still the loudest band I have ever seen (except Motorhead), had the ears ringing for a few hours!

B. Bruce Dickinson one man show - thoroughly enjoyable, 5 stars. Guy is highly intelligent and the entire storyline of his education and then later his desire to become a pilot (he did and was a full blown captain for Brit Air on 747s) were highlights. I didn't know what to expect, but we were very happy we saw the show. Great way to spend an evening.

Tom
No Jet City Woman OR Silent Lucidity...................that's grounds for a refund right there......

BUT, you got to hear this, so it's still a win.............

https://youtu.be/SEGLhUZRZdY

No Jet City Woman OR Silent Lucidity...................that's grounds for a refund right there......

BUT, you got to hear this, so it's still a win.............

https://youtu.be/SEGLhUZRZdY

Honestly, I almost starting laughing when they launched into Turbo Lover, just an odd one from the last show I saw in 1991 when it was all heavy. They did do Freewheel Burning and Lightning, so those elements were there too. Another deep one was Under Blood Red Skies, again, it truly was a career spanning show.

TD

Latest and greatest:

Just got back from a weekend in Pittsburgh.

A. Billy Joel Thursday Night - Have seen him twice in the Garden in NYC. Hard to top that, BUT he was awesome as usual and his band is still incredible musicians. Great show, great time.

B. The Stadium Tour Friday Night
A. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - Timeless, she also grew up in Pittsburgh, so it was fun. Played her hits, didn't miss a beat and honestly, not a note either. Still hits the guitar with enthusiasm.
B. Poison - Bret Micheals and Rikki are hometown heroes, so really some extras for the Burgh. Poison sounded straight out of the 90s. He is still an excellent front man, had a blast and the songs sounded awesome. They could still be headliners.
C. Def Leppard - new album, same band, they are timeless too. No problem hitting any notes or songs. Whole band is in incredible shape. Super show, I am so glad I finally saw them.
D. Motley Crue - oh boy, where to start..................Opening is incredible theatrics, very cool. Mick Mars - he looked like an extra from the Walking Dean in the 80s, he still does. That said, guy can still shred the guitar. Nikki Sixx - looks like a new guy, in great shape, plays well, back up vocals done well too. Tommy Lee...........he is Tommy Lee, crazy and nutty as ever. Vince Neil - looked better than a lot of photos I saw. I was also surprised in his singing, it was serviceable if not good on some songs, he needed back up on others, BUT much better than I remember in 2015 End and it was entertaining. The backup singers (Nasty Habits) are excellent and really help the show where Vince can't. Crazy thing is they still stir it up like they are 40 years younger.

All in all, great show, well worth the money, lot of fun. One note - I saw a review that I would consider "woke" regarding Motley Crue. Let me put it this way, if you are booking Motley Crue and you have paying customers paying to see them, you are getting the real Motley Crue, I don't think they give a hoot about Me Too! You get what you get with the Crue and I don't think they are losing any fans over it. Review cracked me up, guess a publication needed to check some boxes with that review!

TD

Latest and greatest:

Just got back from a weekend in Pittsburgh.

A. Billy Joel Thursday Night - Have seen him twice in the Garden in NYC. Hard to top that, BUT he was awesome as usual and his band is still incredible musicians. Great show, great time.

B. The Stadium Tour Friday Night
A. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - Timeless, she also grew up in Pittsburgh, so it was fun. Played her hits, didn't miss a beat and honestly, not a note either. Still hits the guitar with enthusiasm.
B. Poison - Bret Micheals and Rikki are hometown heroes, so really some extras for the Burgh. Poison sounded straight out of the 90s. He is still an excellent front man, had a blast and the songs sounded awesome. They could still be headliners.
C. Def Leppard - new album, same band, they are timeless too. No problem hitting any notes or songs. Whole band is in incredible shape. Super show, I am so glad I finally saw them.
D. Motley Crue - oh boy, where to start..................Opening is incredible theatrics, very cool. Mick Mars - he looked like an extra from the Walking Dean in the 80s, he still does. That said, guy can still shred the guitar. Nikki Sixx - looks like a new guy, in great shape, plays well, back up vocals done well too. Tommy Lee...........he is Tommy Lee, crazy and nutty as ever. Vince Neil - looked better than a lot of photos I saw. I was also surprised in his singing, it was serviceable if not good on some songs, he needed back up on others, BUT much better than I remember in 2015 End and it was entertaining. The backup singers (Nasty Habits) are excellent and really help the show where Vince can't. Crazy thing is they still stir it up like they are 40 years younger.

All in all, great show, well worth the money, lot of fun. One note - I saw a review that I would consider "woke" regarding Motley Crue. Let me put it this way, if you are booking Motley Crue and you have paying customers paying to see them, you are getting the real Motley Crue, I don't think they give a hoot about Me Too! You get what you get with the Crue and I don't think they are losing any fans over it. Review cracked me up, guess a publication needed to check some boxes with that review!

TD

Glad you got to see the stadium tour, I worked it at Fenway recenty, hot as balls out that night..................on point with your review, Def Leppard was my personal favorite, they were outstanding......whoever the imbecile is who handles the Crue stage effects should be fired, he released some sort of purple smoke as they came on stage................WAY too much of it, the whole inner stadium filled with it, you literally could not see the band for their first two songs.

Best part about the show; the scenery in the crowd..........mother of God, Crue/Poison has some smoke shows for fans, just incredible, crowd overall was well behaved, not incidents for me thankfully.

Ok, last weekend was the one and only Lynyrd Skynyrd. Still rocks and still kicks it. They just don't make music like that anymore. Sold out show, ages ranged from 20 to 80!! Next year is their 50th anniversary and if they come around, I will be there. Between them and Ozzy, those are my faves, will see them til they stop. Their music never gets old and I applaud that they are not part of cancel culture. They support the US Military and the Shriners Hospital at every event, how does it get any better than that. The best is they sign as you walk in NO WOKE!

TD

I had to chaperone my teenage daughter to the Harry Stiles concert at Madison Square Garden a couple of weeks ago . . . not my cup of tea, but the opening act, Blood Orange, was good.

I got to see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' former lead guitarist's new band, The Dirty Knobs, Friday night at the Paramount Theater. Fantastic show! The opening act was a terrific blues guitarist, and the Knobs rocked (there were three Heartbreakers classics in the set, but most of the songs were off their two albums. Two thumbs up!:salute::

I had to chaperone my teenage daughter to the Harry Stiles concert at Madison Square Garden a couple of weeks ago . . . not my cup of tea, but the opening act, Blood Orange, was good.

I got to see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' former lead guitarist's new band, The Dirty Knobs, Friday night at the Paramount Theater. Fantastic show! The opening act was a terrific blues guitarist, and the Knobs rocked (there were three Heartbreakers classics in the set, but most of the songs were off their two albums. Two thumbs up!:salute::

Gotta love Tom Petty! My dad would listen to him on 8-track during the Gulf War...I ended up discovering and listening to him during my first stint in Afghanistan.

RIP Tom...thanks for the memories!

Cheers,
Jake

Louis
Nice on the Knobs!

Harry Styles - well he is the rage from 13 to 30 right now. Logan is going in Austin with a group of college friends, he is playing Moody for 8 nights! (They sold out 7 nights in presale and 10 mins of regular, added an 8th show, sold out in 12 mins). Nuts. Most expensive concert ticket face value I have ever bought and that is saying something!!!

I am just happy these events are back and more plentiful then ever. Now we just have to hope they can do it for a number of years! We are seeing Stevie Nicks in Houston in October (she is 74) and Maiden in October (they I swear are ageless).

Tom

Upcoming Concerts :)

A. Stevie Nicks/Billy Joel - April in Dallas
B. Stevie Nicks May in Raliegh
C. Dead and Company June in Virginia
D. ZZ Top/Lynyrd Skynyrd July in Texas
E. Guns n Roses August in Pennsylvania
F. Pantera August in Texas
G. Kiss October in Texas

Had to make up for losing the 2 Ozzy Concerts in the United Kingdom due to retirement. Sad stuff, I am still hoping to see him 1 more time in something like a Vegas Residency. Also, hoping Maiden do the US for their recreation of the 86 and 88 tours (I didn't see them originally).

So much music to choose from - I passed on Springsteen unfortunately and I missed Paul McCartney last year.

TD

Upcoming Concerts :)

A. Stevie Nicks/Billy Joel - April in Dallas
B. Stevie Nicks May in Raliegh
C. Dead and Company June in Virginia
D. ZZ Top/Lynyrd Skynyrd July in Texas
E. Guns n Roses August in Pennsylvania
F. Pantera August in Texas
G. Kiss October in Texas

Had to make up for losing the 2 Ozzy Concerts in the United Kingdom due to retirement. Sad stuff, I am still hoping to see him 1 more time in something like a Vegas Residency. Also, hoping Maiden do the US for their recreation of the 86 and 88 tours (I didn't see them originally).

So much music to choose from - I passed on Springsteen unfortunately and I missed Paul McCartney last year.

TD

Update, in October, will be attending PowerTrip in Palm Springs California - 3 Days - Friday - Iron Maiden and Guns N Roses, Saturday- AC/DC and Ozzy Osbourne (YES!!!!!!!!!) and Sunday - Metallica and Tool. I guess I got my 50th Bday gift!!!!

Tom

Update, in October, will be attending PowerTrip in Palm Springs California - 3 Days - Friday - Iron Maiden and Guns N Roses, Saturday- AC/DC and Ozzy Osbourne (YES!!!!!!!!!) and Sunday - Metallica and Tool. I guess I got my 50th Bday gift!!!!

Tom

Might as well throw in a hearing aide as an additional gift.....................;).............

All,

Well...

We are going to see Aerosmith (again) when they come to San Antonio and the wife got tickets to see U2 at the Sphere in November. We saw Aerosmith when they were in residence in Las Vegas last November and it was a GREAT show.

Honestly, I just want to see Santana in LV this summer/fall...then I have lived life.

Well...I have yet to see Pink Floyd and someday when I do then I have lived.

John from Texas

PS: I did see Stevie Ray Vaughn when I was in High School.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back