Concert Reviews - Live Music is Back! (1 Viewer)

Updated 2 reviews

A. Stevie Nicks Raleigh - incredible, that lady just brings it at 75. Great show, nice set list, some nice changes. Incredible talent. Great evening.

B. Dead and Company......................... - Musically - wonderful, amazing that Bob Weir at 75 still does what he does. John Mayer is excellent too. They are a good covers band that makes you think it is the Dead - mission accomplished. BAD - I was not impressed with venue security nor parking. There is a really bad criminal element that travels with the Dead and poses as vendors. They are for lack of a better term - drug dealers, along with jobless criminals living off the system. These are not aging hippies. It is a shame b/c it really created an uneasy vibe in the parking lot. I did see 4 police officers in tactical gear on atv's . I swear it was for show b/c they were not interested in stopping and checking on anything. We left early in the second set while still light and to get out. Usually, I am not like this and in a rural area in Virginia, it should not have been an issue. That said, I am glad this was the last run, the Dead train needs to pull into Station and call it a day. It is no longer that fantastical hippie enterprise of entertainment it once was. I was never truly a hippie as too young, but I have always enjoyed the atmosphere as it was always laid back, interesting people. No more, it has become in the words of my son - "a creepshow of criminals".

Onto bigger and better - Stevie Nicks (again) late June in Chicago, ZZTop/Lynryd in July, Guns in August. Love Summer Music!

TD

Stevie Nicks - United Center Chicago - first, big kudos to the organization of this arena, very refreshing. No issue getting to it via uber, went right in, very helpful to our seats. Opener was a young upcoming Nashville Star who did a great job. Was entertained for the 30 mins. Next up Stevie - as I said before, she is timeless and still delivers a powerful concert. Interesting encore tribute again, she ends with Landslide (Kristine McVie montage tribute). Sad, but it is a good tribute. Anyhow, can't recommend her enough, if you are a fan, I wouldn't hesitate to go as she is 75!
Tom

My wife and I saw the Lynyrd Skynyrd 50th Anniversary Movie this weekend which was the last founding member Gary Rossington's last concert before he passed in March. WOW, lots of guest stars and for a concert film, entertaining. Sad too of course as there is a lot of tribute into it. For me being my age (turn 50 myself this year), it is humbling in a way, makes you realize you have been around for a bit! I first saw I guess most of the original band as a 14 year old in 1988 on their first "Tribute" tour. Pretty crazy, that music lends itself to longevity, good mix of blues, rock and the unique sound of Southern Rock (I am not sure how to describe that genre other than triple guitars). I am seeing them the end of this month with ZZ Top in Houston, should be a good show. I think this may be it though as with Rossington passing away, nobody on the stage owns anything, they are all employees. I guess in the future will be watching a bunch of old DVD's on them!

Food for thought, with all of these touring bands getting up in years, what happens to live music? You have to figure these groups are going to call it quits or pass on? For me, I know I will save a bunch of moolah, as there is no way on earth I would pay to see even one of today's "New" music, it frankly sucks.

People complain about the cost of concerts nowadays, I figure you are paying for an experience, I have not been disappointed in recent years, well worth it. As I said, it will be a thing of the past unfortunately, so if you have any desire to see these bands, better get a move on! And for all the naysayers out there who complain about all of these bands being "tributes", well, I would gladly see any of these tribute bands over the likes of Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift! I know they both have talent, but ugh, just awful IMO. (and it is not about type of music to me as I have paid to see everything from the Symphony (Bach) to Metallica, I don't discriminate!)

TD

On my way back from Berlin where I attended the sold out show by Rammstein in the Olympia Stadium last Sunday. Unforgettable. My fourth Rammstein concert in a year after Philly, New York and Boston. Singed eye brows.

IMG_2019.jpeg

Quick Review-
Guns N Roses and the Pretenderz. Well, the Pretenderz were quite a pleasant surprise. Her pipes are great, and they ripped through the hits, again a pleasant and welcome surprise. Guns - well they are getting to be like the Dead! Unpredictable set list which is a nice surprise, and they just don't stop playing!! If you feel like Guns ripped you off in the 90s, go back now, they will play all night if they are allowed. Some awesome items thrown into the hits. Axl is a pleasant fellow onstage and very jovial. He joked with a front row yawner and asked if he was keeping her awake! All in all good fun. Highly recommend it if you are a fan, his voice is different but like many artists, he has figured out how to still roll the hits and those crazy high notes. Highlight of the evening - rendition of Rocket Queen.

TD

Another weekend from the past forgot to post.

Steve Miller Band and opener Kingfish. Superb concert from a 78 year old. Holy moly, took me back to the summers in the 1990s. He is timeless and could not have given a better show. Opener Kingfish is something to be seen. If you like the blues, it is phenomenal.

2nd night - Uncle Kracker - wow - he wrote a lot of songs that you hear from others as well as probably the best Kenny Rogers Gambler other than the original. Very nice. Next up Lynyrd Skynyrd 50th. Brand new set list and they stole the show. Awesome tribute montages and you felt like 1976 all over again. They owned the night and the stage. Finale - ZZ Top, where does Billy Gibbons get the energy??? If you are a fan of unique guitars, they don't disappoint. Sharp Dressed Man and Legs made you think you were watching MTV of the 80s. Too cool for school literally. Thumbs up to this tour

TD

Next Review

Pantera live in Houstion August. Well, where to begin. These guys are a little heavier than most of what I listen to, so it is loud! It is a tribute as the 2 brothers/founders are no longer with us. That said, Zakk Wylde and Charlie Benante make you think you are hearing Pantera of the 90s. Overall, rather entertaining, Phil Anselmo was great on the mike, proper mix of jokes, tributes and of course power. One thing for me, I never knew how really dedicated Pantera fans are - holy smokes, Logan and I were amazed, they sang along to every song. I can now check this off my bucket list. Cowboys From Hell, nothing like it and especially seeing them in Texas.

TD

Now at Power Trip in Indio California. WOW.

First night done - Iron Maiden and Guns N Roses. Awesome concerts, they both sounded really good for such a large outdoor venue. Maiden - completely (nearly) different set list from last time I saw them. They continue to be timeless. GNR - Axl sounded better tonight then when I saw him in Hershey PA earlier this Summer. They were on fire. Different setlist, shortened by about an hour due to festival curfew. Even so, unique mix of songs including my favorite - November Rain on the Grand Piano. Up next - Judas Priest and AC/DC tomorrow night.

TD

PS Now I have to get up at 9am PST time to watch Texas and OU. Hook Em!

Now at Power Trip in Indio California. WOW.

First night done - Iron Maiden and Guns N Roses. Awesome concerts, they both sounded really good for such a large outdoor venue. Maiden - completely (nearly) different set list from last time I saw them. They continue to be timeless. GNR - Axl sounded better tonight then when I saw him in Hershey PA earlier this Summer. They were on fire. Different setlist, shortened by about an hour due to festival curfew. Even so, unique mix of songs including my favorite - November Rain on the Grand Piano. Up next - Judas Priest and AC/DC tomorrow night.

TD

PS Now I have to get up at 9am PST time to watch Texas and OU. Hook Em!

With all going on, forgot to post about the 2nd Night of Power Trip. Well, UT lost that morning, but the evening turned out quite well. Judas Priest up first, perfect set and announcement of a new album to boot, just awesome. BUT, the best for last - Ac/Dc - holy shitte. I don't know how else to say, they were beyond perfect. Brian Johnson - 76 years old belting out the hits. The set list was just awesome. Great mix, a number of old Bon Scott including High Voltage which is one of my faves. I only hope they decide to do a proper tour, Angus Young out played everyone. Incredible weekend and if they do another Power Trip, count me in, Indio CA was a cool place to visit! Did the tramway as well as Joshua Tree on Sunday as I skipped Tool (sorry but I think there music is a "tool" and Metallica as I like the old verson better).
TD

Ok did another Kiss end of the road show nearly 5 years later. New set and just still too cool. I don’t care what anyone says, they are freaking entertaining and Gene Simmons is still the best. My 19 year old loved it and said one of the best productions he has ever seen, I agree. And I can’t recommend the Austin Texas Moody center enough as a venue. It is literally the perfect concert venue. Two thumbs up and if you are a Kiss fan, can’t recommend this show enough!
Tom

Paul McCartney, aged 81, just did a show in Brisbane last night. Have a relative who went and the show got rave reviews. I think all up doing 7 shows in Oz.

Reviving this as concert season is starting again!

OK _ yes I sprang for the PPV Kiss Final Show in NYC> Again, it is entertainment at its finest, my hats off to them. I literally have enjoyed them from the cradle! Rock n roll all night, I agree, you can sleep when you are dead!

Tomorrow night - nother bucket list, seeing and meeting Zakk Wylde in Pittsburgh for Zakk Sabbath. Kind of weird to meet a star, you never know what to say, but it will be fun and will report back with a review.
TD

Reviving this as concert season is starting again!

OK _ yes I sprang for the PPV Kiss Final Show in NYC> Again, it is entertainment at its finest, my hats off to them. I literally have enjoyed them from the cradle! Rock n roll all night, I agree, you can sleep when you are dead!

Tomorrow night - nother bucket list, seeing and meeting Zakk Wylde in Pittsburgh for Zakk Sabbath. Kind of weird to meet a star, you never know what to say, but it will be fun and will report back with a review.
TD

Well, Zakk Wylde is the most down to earth "rock star" I have ever met. Hung out for about 45mins with a group of 25 of us, took photos (entire band). Signed anything you wanted, but really down to earth and as normal as you would ever expect. Did his homework on current local events. Talked about any subject including coffee of all things. Just a cool guy. Got a great photo with him. He gives everyone "bro" hugs, I didn't realize he is about 6ft 2 with arms like Hulk Hogan of old (I had to ask for my shoulder back............).

Concert review - if you like Black Sabbath of old, this is way different and way different than they sound on the albums they have released. They play it live in a much much heavier version - pounding drums, bass and guitar shredding. His voice is faithful to Ozzy's but is not the feature (even though he sounds great). For me, I would have liked it more in the original Sabbath style, but for fans of Zakk and Black Label Society, this is probably right up your alley. Side note - since this was in a 1500 person venue, much rougher and close crowd, my only complaint is security should have taken out some trash earlier in the night! But that said, happy we did this one, definitely a memorable experience. But probably a one time only for me!

TD

Announcement coming Monday 3AM est. AC/DC - Are you Ready? Looks like a potential tour announcement. Count me in on this one. They were awesome at Power Trip.
TD

Announcement coming Monday 3AM est. AC/DC - Are you Ready? Looks like a potential tour announcement. Count me in on this one. They were awesome at Power Trip.
TD

No love for the States, so far European dates only..................:mad:
TD

Ok, quick update:

A. Heart and Cheap Trick - Awesome concert - Cheap Trick is amazing with 3 of the original 4 members - over 70! Heart - the sisters Wilson.............just incredible, full band, greatest hits and boy do they appreciate Zeppelin - 2 covers, flawless and a great evening.

B. Judas Priest and Sabaton - ok, so knew nothing about the opening act, but quickly appreciated them.............The Drum Kit was a Stuart Tank! Melodic metal, entertaining crowd interactions and great harmonies - they can and do sing! Judas Priest.............wow, 3rd time in about 2 years, this time new album and a winner! Rob Halford, 75 years young, opera trained and spot on. Got the Harley, got the tunes and they delivered the goods.

C. Stevie Nicks (yet again) - my son's favorite, on our way this weekend to Hershey PA 11th row, should be a good time as always, she is just timeless.

TD

New reviews:

A. Terry Bradshaw - Well, he may not be the best Country star, but his one man show of singing and story telling is very entertaining. He is returning next year, if he is near you, highly recommend it. Great guy, great show.

B. Def Leppard, Journey & Steve Miller Band - fantastic. Def - once again, they defy father time. 1990s in its hey day, great show, great production, great sound and songs. Journey - holy smokes. The replacement singer for the last 16 years IMO may be better than the original. Crazy energy, great show. Steve Miller - 81 years young. A maestro, what esle is there to say, he still brings and delivers the goods.

Up next - Skynyrd, ZZ Top and Outlaws in September. Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in October (Hoping Ozzy makes it!) and closing the year in November with the mighty Iron Maiden.

Latest review:

A. Outlaws - even with only 1 original member alive, great little set that literally still sounds like the vinyl it was on in the 70s. Ghost Riders baby, a classic!
B. ZZ Top - that little ole band from Texas is just too cool. Love the set mix of songs, love the different guitars, Billy G is a guitar lord.
C. Lynyrd Skynyrd - perfect end to the evening. It is just timeless music, entertainment and a stage show.

These 3 bands are better IMO than most of what is out there today. If you can't be entertained at this concert, then stop listening! Fun night, my wife and I were in row 16 dead center, great venue. My planning for leaving was perfect, in the car, and home by 1.5 hrs after last song. Considering venue is 70 miles away, I call that perfect planning!

ON another note, sadly, you do have to wonder how much more gas is in the tank for most live acts today. I am going to have to start going to Jason Aldean and Jelly Roll concerts as I fear my guitar heroes are getting on.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back