Creating the Battle of the Bulge.....Wacht Am Rhine (1 Viewer)

Now that’s more like it! I can almost hear the Thunderbolts and Typhoons screaming down on them!

As you wish ......

A 75mm infantry gun is left abandoned after the horse transport became casualties ......

IMGs662.JPG

IMGcsr668.JPG

Flak units did resist .....

IMGcsr672.JPG

IMGsr705.JPG

But when the skies were clear ..........

IMG_7725csr.JPG

So, do sandbags protect from shape charge weapons, or do they actually make them more potent?

IMGP23941csr.jpg

Either way, the added weight might be a problem?

IMGP18141sr.jpg

The brass do not like them hence the 'General inspection'

IMGP17941csr.jpg

Helping a buddy, an MP watches the rear

IMGP18121csr.jpg

I’d throw anything I could find on a Sherman to make it more survivable. Whatever the general had me take off would go right back on as soon as the general drove off!😜👍

I’d throw anything I could find on a Sherman to make it more survivable. Whatever the general had me take off would go right back on as soon as the general drove off!😜👍

I love those silhouette shots- fantastic images!!!

Joe

Hi Kevin, great to see the thread continuing, takes me back a few years.

Louis, Joe, Oz, thanks for the comments. Oz, it has been a while, 12 years since I started in a few weeks.

I found some quotes on the web that supposedly the 3rd Army did testing on sandbags as well as concrete and other materials that were being put on tanks. They found that these improvised types of armor actually made shaped charge weapons more effective since they improved the stand off distance of the warhead detonation, allowing the particle stream to form a little further out from the armor plate. This is why Patton ordered all Third Army tanks to remove any extra armor other than actual armor plate. Does anyone know if this was correct?

IMGP2394csr.jpg

IMGP2387csr.jpg

I also found anecdotal quotes that they improved tank crew morale, I guess this is Louis' supposition?

1568sr.JPG

1562sr.JPG

The opposition probably could not care less about sand bags?

Kevin,

According to the book Death Traps, by Belton Cooper, an ordinance officer in the 3rd Armor (Spearhead Division) who saw action from D-Day until VE Day in 1945, just the opposite. Shape charges are only effective if they go off a specific distance from the armor to be pierced. That's why the Germans used side skirts on their armor to such great effect. Set off even a few inches further from the armor to be penetrated, shape charges do little more than ruin the paint job.

But more importantly, you have been doing this awesome thread for nearly 12 years!! Its a book unto itself!!^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool

I love those silhouette shots- fantastic images!!!

Joe

Reduced some more - Jagdpanzer IV at near dusk (about 3pm)

144csr.JPG

Kevin,

According to the book Death Traps, by Belton Cooper, an ordinance officer in the 3rd Armor (Spearhead Division) who saw action from D-Day until VE Day in 1945, just the opposite. Shape charges are only effective if they go off a specific distance from the armor to be pierced. That's why the Germans used side skirts on their armor to such great effect. Set off even a few inches further from the armor to be penetrated, shape charges do little more than ruin the paint job.

But more importantly, you have been doing this awesome thread for nearly 12 years!! Its a book unto itself!!^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool

Louis, the thing I read stated that the distance from the hull needed to be around 3 to 4x the diameter and sand could act as a medium - 88mm shape charge usually, so sandbags could have made it worse. Anyway ........

Jagdpanther of ? the s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.560

gnu6.JPG

Panzer grenadiers advance ......

056csr.JPG

Reduced some more - Jagdpanzer IV at near dusk (about 3pm)

View attachment 241661

Louis, the thing I read stated that the distance from the hull needed to be around 3 to 4x the diameter and sand could act as a medium - 88mm shape charge usually, so sandbags could have made it worse. Anyway ........

Jagdpanther of ? the s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.560

View attachment 241662

Panzer grenadiers advance ......

View attachment 241663

We are discussing apples and oranges. Belton Cooper was talking about the Shermans knocked out by Panzer Fausts, not about the shell from an 88mm.

We are discussing apples and oranges. Belton Cooper was talking about the Shermans knocked out by Panzer Fausts, not about the shell from an 88mm.

It seems that there are a variety of opinions, e.g. see below from just one page of search. The 88mm comment was referring to the greater diameter of panzershreck (and panzerfaust) compared to bazooka.

Sandbags would do nothing against a pak43 or Flak88 except slow the tank to make a better target????

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=153140

Sandbags were a form of external protection against Panzerfausts and Panzerschrecks. The sandbags served more as a morale-booster for the tank crew. There was a downside to the use of sandbags - the extra weight caused excessive strain on engines, increasing demands on maintenance procedures and shortening the life expectancy of various mechanical parts.

Alternately the sandbags but especially boards and such could predetonate the shaped charge allowing the "slug" more time to form and actually increase the penetration. Note that the physics of shaped charges were poorly understood at that time and that most post war shape charges have an extended fuze to allow the charge to detonate just prior to impact for greater penetration.

The main lethality of such munitions comes from the 'spall' formed when the armour is perforated - the wider the hole, the more lethal (but less penetrative) the result. (source "Military Ballistics" - C L Farrar & D W Leeming - Brassey's Battlefield Weapons Systems & Technology, Volume X). The Germans were leaders in the military applications of shaped-charge munitions - first used in the reduction of Fort Eben-Emael in 1940.

I can't remember where I read this, but Gen. Patton became very angry when he saw sandbags on tanks of one of his armored divisions, and ordered their immediate removal. hIS explanation was that the weight decresed fuel consumption, and the bags in themselves provided minimal protection, because unprotected parts of the tank would become a target.

Georgie Patton spent most of his time cruising around the rear in his staff car and posing with his ivory-handed pistols.If I was a Sherman tanker with the choice between a little extra protect with the sandbags and more fuel consumption,I'd pick the sandbags every time. U.S.Army(Retired)

"He spent of his time cruising around the rear in his staff car and posing with his ivory handed (?) pistols"??? Really?? Do you have documentation or a source for that claim?? , U. S. Army (retired)

So, is this the five minute argument or the full half hour (to twelve years....).

157csr.JPG

German infantry deploy

071csr.JPG

Bergepanther seeks to recover damaged tank

019sr.JPG

Tank hunting infantry, including fallschirmjager, prepare to repel US armour

164csr.JPG

IMGP2497csr.jpg

US Sherman advances slowly through Ardennes village

IMGP2485csr.jpg

The brass take a look.

006csr.JPG