Creating the Battle of the Bulge.....Wacht Am Rhine (1 Viewer)

csraIMGP2976.jpg
Yes sir, three bags full sir.

csrIMGP2974.jpg
For you the war is over.

IMG_3785ccsrz.JPG
Clear skies, what could possibly go wrong now!

IMG_7725csr.JPG
Tally ho

I have the manual in my hand - N.B. don't sit anywhere near the launcher when you fire the rockets.

gnuIMG_1073.jpg

The first weapon to be delivered to the troops was the 15 cm Nebelwerfer 41 in 1940, after the Battle of France, a purpose-designed rocket with gas, smoke and high-explosive warheads. It, like virtually all German rocket designs, was spin-stabilized to increase accuracy. One very unusual feature was that the rocket motor was in the front, the exhaust venturi being about two-thirds down the body from the nose, with the intent to optimize the blast effect of the rocket as the warhead would still be above the ground when it detonated. This proved to greatly complicate manufacture for not much extra effect and it was not copied on later rocket designs. It was fired from a six-tube launcher mounted on a towed carriage adapted from that used by the 3.7 cm PaK 36 and had a range of 6,900 metres (7,500 yd).[8] Almost five and a half million 15 cm rockets and 6,000 launchers were manufactured over the course of the war.

Yes I would keep my distance when Firing those things, in fact I think the Receiving end would be only slightly more terrifying than the Firing ;)

Is that the old Patriot set, can't remember what became of that TS company, did it morph into another?

Yes I would keep my distance when Firing those things, in fact I think the Receiving end would be only slightly more terrifying than the Firing ;)

Is that the old Patriot set, can't remember what became of that TS company, did it morph into another?
Matt

I think it may be - but I am not sure. Sorry but I don't remember any other sets of theirs or know anything about them. Were they slightly larger than 1/30?

gnuIMG_0922.jpg

This shot has a mix of TGM, HB and K&C figures that seem to work, it is an old photo, but I wonder if the other figures may have been larger so were left out?

All the best.

Hi Kevin,

good to see you updating this nice story-telling thread of yours. The Nebeltruppe or Werfertruppe was an organic branch of the Reichswehr and later Wehrmacht.
Standarte der Nebeltruppen:
Standarte_Nebeltruppen.svg.png

There is lot of myth and false information about where the name Nebel came from. Originally
the Nebeltruppen where organized basically for chemical warfare on the bases of WW1 experience.
Rudolf Nebel, born 21.03.84 in Bavaria was a rocket scientiest and WW1 pilot who had developed early powder filled air to air missles while serving in the German Airforce during WW1.

So we got both "Nebel" as a rocket scientiest as well as "Nebel" as the german word for fog/smoke.
While doing his research as an rocket scientiest in post-WW1 Germany, Rudolf Nebel was temporary arrested by the SS during the events of the 1934 Röhm-Putch. He was classified as politcally unreliable and was banned from any further research in the field of rocket science.
Incomprehensible yet true, he was compensated with 75.000,- Reichsmark for the fruits of his labour and research work. As his subordinates Wernher von Braun and other scientists joined the Reichswehr to become (via SS-membership and war crimes at Mittelbau Dora) American Superheros and flew to the moon, Nebel became a civil engineer.

Interesting side note:
Usually military operations are code-named in such a way that the purpose of the intended goal remains unclear. Operation "Wacht am Rhein" was (is) the only exception to this rule I do know of. Truly staged to protect the western flank of the Reich the code name voluntarily gave away any confidentiality and secrecy about its purpose.
You got to understand, that the wording "Wacht am Rhein" was and is deeply rooted in the german language and culture as it expresses the determination of the german people since the Varus battle that the right bank of the river Rhein is german territory and must remain untouched by any agressor.
It is also the title of a patriotic folk-song composed by Max Schneckenburger in (1840!) during the Rhine-crises to resist french attempts to shift the border further east. It gained huge popularity during the Kaiserreich.
All in all a long time before the devil(s) took over Germany. For further studies I attach the link to the song.
Thank you for the update, hope to see much more here soon ...

Matt

I think it may be - but I am not sure. Sorry but I don't remember any other sets of theirs or know anything about them. Were they slightly larger than 1/30?

View attachment 341398

This shot has a mix of TGM, HB and K&C figures that seem to work, it is an old photo, but I wonder if the other figures may have been larger so were left out?

All the best.
Kevin, yes Patriot figures were a bit bigger when compared to others at the time, the same could be said for some of the Britains Artillery crews. I did have the Patriot set but sold it off, still have the Collectors Showcase version which is also largish, but I have a lot of CS Normandy sets to go with it, so it's all good.

Hi Kevin,

good to see you updating this nice story-telling thread of yours. The Nebeltruppe or Werfertruppe was an organic branch of the Reichswehr and later Wehrmacht.
Standarte der Nebeltruppen:
View attachment 341409

There is lot of myth and false information about where the name Nebel came from. Originally
the Nebeltruppen where organized basically for chemical warfare on the bases of WW1 experience.
Rudolf Nebel, born 21.03.84 in Bavaria was a rocket scientiest and WW1 pilot who had developed early powder filled air to air missles while serving in the German Airforce during WW1.

So we got both "Nebel" as a rocket scientiest as well as "Nebel" as the german word for fog/smoke.
While doing his research as an rocket scientiest in post-WW1 Germany, Rudolf Nebel was temporary arrested by the SS during the events of the 1934 Röhm-Putch. He was classified as politcally unreliable and was banned from any further research in the field of rocket science.
Incomprehensible yet true, he was compensated with 75.000,- Reichsmark for the fruits of his labour and research work. As his subordinates Wernher von Braun and other scientists joined the Reichswehr to become (via SS-membership and war crimes at Mittelbau Dora) American Superheros and flew to the moon, Nebel became a civil engineer.

Interesting side note:
Usually military operations are code-named in such a way that the purpose of the intended goal remains unclear. Operation "Wacht am Rhein" was (is) the only exception to this rule I do know of. Truly staged to protect the western flank of the Reich the code name voluntarily gave away any confidentiality and secrecy about its purpose.
You got to understand, that the wording "Wacht am Rhein" was and is deeply rooted in the german language and culture as it expresses the determination of the german people since the Varus battle that the right bank of the river Rhein is german territory and must remain untouched by any agressor.
It is also the title of a patriotic folk-song composed by Max Schneckenburger in (1840!) during the Rhine-crises to resist french attempts to shift the border further east. It gained huge popularity during the Kaiserreich.
All in all a long time before the devil(s) took over Germany. For further studies I attach the link to the song.
Thank you for the update, hope to see much more here soon ...

Wolfgang,

This was fascinating, I did not know any of these finer points.

Thank you for contributing, I do prefer for people to join in the threads I do.

'Many heads are better than one'.

I had not even seen this post until now, so sorry for not replying sooner.

All the best,

Kevin

Kevin, yes Patriot figures were a bit bigger when compared to others at the time, the same could be said for some of the Britains Artillery crews. I did have the Patriot set but sold it off, still have the Collectors Showcase version which is also largish, but I have a lot of CS Normandy sets to go with it, so it's all good.
Matt, thanks, I shall try to dig out another pic of the patriot set. All the best, Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back