D-Day vs. Bulge? (2 Viewers)

Sgt. 403

Private
For those of you who collect both sets, do you prefer one over the other? Is one easier to make dios for? I was able to get a spousal blessing to veer off into WWII, but I know they'll be better accepted if I can build a dio. So is sand or snow better?

And to have enemies, are the Waffen SS series made to fit in with both the D-Day sets and the Bulge sets? I see that some are winterized and some appear to be summer.

Just trying to figure out what I may be getting into before something shows up in the mail and I'm incapable of rational thought. Thanks.

Sadly I am no help. I collect and really like both. Both lines although seasonal could be used to depict a wide variety of campaigns. I think you have discovered the genius of K&C, you will want everything!:eek:

I prefer the Bulge. Snow in diorama adds drama and looks realistic.

In my opinion, the Bulge figures have had more interesting poses.

Also, if you collect D-Day, some years the releases are British only which you may not want. At least with the Bulge series, you don't have that problem.

Of course being a "GI freak" I collect BOTH! Each series has its merits. There's no choice in quality, all of K&C figures keep getting better and are wel posed (no, I'm not just saying that because Andy reviews the posts). Anyway, the DDay series generally represent troops in warmer weather gear. For the summer of 1944 that means the brownish OD wool uniform or the green HBT fatigue with the short M1941 field jacket. Paratroopers were in the khaki-OD M1942 jump uniform. By the winter of 1944-45 the American Army was caught short of winter uniforms (one could move gas and ammo forward or winter uniforms, there wasn't enough transport for both). That means the "Bulge" series has a bit more variety in coats and jackets. Andy's painters have done a good job of frost effects and the poor guys generally look cold, tired and nervous. All the combat vehicles from the summer of 1944 were still in use in the winter, with some upgraded versions and new vehicles on both sides, so there are more options for vehicles and artillery.

So which historical era interests you more? The Allies establishing their fooothold in Europe to liberate France? The desperate hours of attack and counterattack in the snows of Belguim and Luxembourg?

For opponents, in both areas the US Army fought German Army units as well as SS units and German paratroopers. Normandy offers more opportunity to include British Commonwealth forces and some French troops. The British were in the Bulge combat, but to a lesser extent and winter Brits are not heavily represented by K&C.

Find an era that gets you interested. The diorama ideas will flow freely as you read about the actions and units involved.

It's a hobby, get the joy out of your collection!

Gary B.

For those of you who collect both sets, do you prefer one over the other? Is one easier to make dios for? I was able to get a spousal blessing to veer off into WWII, but I know they'll be better accepted if I can build a dio. So is sand or snow better?

And to have enemies, are the Waffen SS series made to fit in with both the D-Day sets and the Bulge sets? I see that some are winterized and some appear to be summer.

Just trying to figure out what I may be getting into before something shows up in the mail and I'm incapable of rational thought. Thanks.

I collect both sets, but I prefer the Battle of the Bulge.Not because making dio's about the BoB is easier, but because you can ,if necessary, winterize every single allied or german soldier. It is not so easy to put a winterized SS man on the beach in Normandy if you know what I mean.
Look into my albums and you will find some examples.
Happy collecting and dio making
guy

Of course being a "GI freak" I collect BOTH! Each series has its merits. There's no choice in quality, all of K&C figures keep getting better and are wel posed (no, I'm not just saying that because Andy reviews the posts). Anyway, the DDay series generally represent troops in warmer weather gear. For the summer of 1944 that means the brownish OD wool uniform or the green HBT fatigue with the short M1941 field jacket. Paratroopers were in the khaki-OD M1942 jump uniform. By the winter of 1944-45 the American Army was caught short of winter uniforms (one could move gas and ammo forward or winter uniforms, there wasn't enough transport for both). That means the "Bulge" series has a bit more variety in coats and jackets. Andy's painters have done a good job of frost effects and the poor guys generally look cold, tired and nervous. All the combat vehicles from the summer of 1944 were still in use in the winter, with some upgraded versions and new vehicles on both sides, so there are more options for vehicles and artillery.

So which historical era interests you more? The Allies establishing their fooothold in Europe to liberate France? The desperate hours of attack and counterattack in the snows of Belguim and Luxembourg?

For opponents, in both areas the US Army fought German Army units as well as SS units and German paratroopers. Normandy offers more opportunity to include British Commonwealth forces and some French troops. The British were in the Bulge combat, but to a lesser extent and winter Brits are not heavily represented by K&C.

Find an era that gets you interested. The diorama ideas will flow freely as you read about the actions and units involved.

It's a hobby, get the joy out of your collection!

Gary B.

Well said....

I'd go for winter sets mate!:D
The Winter GI sets just have a sort of something about them where personally I can actually feel the cold!:eek::eek::D

For some reason the specifically designes Bob winter germans never appealed to me much, but after seeing the new releases I am sure to get a couple!;)

I prefer BOB. I have also noticed that the figures tend to be slightly larger in scale the the D-Day figures. (In my opinion)

Actually I collect D-Day, BOB and North Africa.........
These will cover "warm, hot and cold" uniforms and equipment.

There is something very dramatic, however, about troops coming off their landing craft onto a hostile beach!:):)

I actually think its harder to make a good winter dio than a better weathered one so, in terms of that D-Day but, the Bulge does conjour up more interest than say D-Day for many.

But, my own interest lies in the eastern front
Mitch

Well if we're going with out own loves, then I'm a British Paratroopers at Arnhem, British tanks during Operation Market Garden, and British paratroopers during the same op kind of guy!:D:cool:;)

As some have already stated, research the battles first, let that guide and inspire your decision. All of my displays have come about through this process. I can't say that one was harder than another, but simply more enjoyable. The more work I have to put into it, the more proud I am of the display.

Also, as Kurt has stated correctly, sometimes you have to wait on the D-Day stuff. One year you may only see one country or you may not get the poses you want. Bulge does seem to be more consistent, you could almost make a new display each year.

One photograph to show you the winter effect you can obtain
Guy
010bis.jpg

Guy...

Nice little vignette. Not K&C figures but, it does show what can be achieved in a small scale for those who wish to display but, have little room
Mitch

Thanks for the input and for pointing out stuff I hadn't thought about (hard to "summerize" winter uniforms, etc.). I was already leaning BoB anyway (great-uncle in the 106th captured during the battle), but kinda help me cement it. Thanks.

You mention sand and snow.......personally when I think of D-Day I always think of sand, followed by ruined buildings with narrow lanes, surrounded by thick hedge-rows.:eek:

Makes for a great variety of Dio's & displays, plus the "summer" figures easily slip into the Arnhem period and beyond.

Its a hard decision mate, as the BoB range is simply fabulous too!!:)

Have ya considered a bob each way?:confused: A little sample of both ranges:p;)

You might find the wee wifey might be more accommodating if you do this.....:D

Toddy

Hello Sgt. 403

I too had to make the same decison and decided to go with Normandy. I was buying the MG Brits to go with that as well. With the start of this year, I have decided to drop the British forces all together- nothing against them, this stuff is just getting expensive.

The Bulge stuff does display nicer perhaps- if you live near some quality holiday shops you can get snow, trees, etc at good prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back