Do your kids have toy soldiers/guns? (3 Viewers)

Kilted Vampire:

I enjoyed your story. I have a similar one myself. I was a federal firearms dearler for a few years, dealing mainly in exotic weapons. Everything was loaded for the reason you expressed. Weapons are useless unloaded, children get into trouble with weapons they think are not loaded. Of course training is
most important, which is why even the military do not issue ammo except in combat conditions.
My daughter grew up with respect and knowledge of firearms. Only time I ever had a problem was with a friend. An ex USAF Special Ops soldier on a visit handled a few weapons, put them aside when he was finished and took the safety off a rather delicate weapon. Later when cleaning the handled weapons I had an ear ringing suprise and a much longer cleaning routine with that particular weapon.
One year I answered over 100 alarm calls at a large Home Center I worked for. We had a unit in California robbed when people broke in and hid until the
building was cleared. When the morning crew came to set up for opening they poped out and robbed the unit. We also had a Red Roof Inn located next door to us off the interstate night manager shot and killed late one night. After being robbed he stepped outside to write down the license plate number of the getaway car.
When answering these alarm calls I would wait for the police to arrive, and I would enter the 100,000 square foot location armed with the police to do a search. You should have seen the looks on their faces, I have a concealed permit and I would ask them if they minded if I armed myself, they said sure.
Most of them carried 9mm Glocks I usually carried a HK-SP89 with two 35 round mags and an HK9mm. Most of the officers main weapon was the noise
they made between the keys and squaking radios constantly signaling their location. Of course they are doing this nightly many times, I'm doing it maybe once or twice a week. But in dangerious situations, you should never be complacient.

Njja

Last edited:
My Daughter has a teenaged son. He, and his Dad, are hunters...so yeah, they have rifles/shotguns.

I never was a hunter, never saw the joy in needing to kill animals for the 'sport' of it. However, I was, in my younger days, a combat handgunner, and still do my share of target shooting. I don't have any rifles or shotguns, but DO have a number of handguns in the house. Each IS loaded, though all are 'out of reach'.

I do keep one framed target hung on the entryway wall...with a fifty shot spread showing. I think the message is sufficiently clear. (o;

Terry in Iowa

I enjoyed your story Nijja about hiding in the big stores after closing. That happen about once a month when I was working and we would not walk the store but announce that if they don't come out of hiding the dogs will be unleashed. Most come crawling out under furniture and a few were "retrieved" for trip to emergency room. Leadmen

Just a warning to the wise to keep those guns locked away when not in use. I was raised in a house with several firearms and was taught to respect them but guns were rarely locked away back in those days. In my early teenage years I did a very stupid thing and I'm lucky to be here today. I was checking out my dad's .310 which is an old lever action rifle with something like the power of a pistol. I was very familiar with bolt action rifles but hadn't had much experience with lever actions.

Being a typical young and stupid teenager I thought I'd try and see how people could kill themselves with a rifle. So I stuck it my mouth as I've seen on television and was going to pull the trigger with my toe. I KNEW the rifle wasn't loaded as I had checked it earlier but just to be on the safe side I thought I'd have another look. And I nearly crapped myself when I saw it actually was loaded. To this day I'm SURE the weapon wasn't loaded and I don't know how that bullet got in there. A .310 is a fairly mild cartridge but it certainly would have done the job. No doubt it would haver been officially listed as a deliberate suicide rather than an accident, with my parents wondering why I did it.

It certainly taught me a life lesson and I guess firearms are like when young people get their first car. You can tell them until you are blue in the face to be careful on the roads but until they have a few close calls and minor accidents most teenagers don't pay much attention to parents because every teenager knows they are old and senile.

Firearms certainly need to be handled with respect. But remember they are

a tool. If all your tools are home in the garage and you get a flat....your

stuck.

Everyone needs to be safe in their home, and should have a cell phone to call

for assistance and a safe place to protect their family. You are never advised

to confront anyone as no one wins a tie. That being said a locked up weapon

with ammo elsewhere is as useful as a golf club on a tennis court.

A close friend of mine always had a 45 within arms reach. He was a rather

big country fellow so I asked him about it. He told me one night he was

sitting in his living room watching tv and a strange fellow just opened his

front door and walked into his house. My friend Mike picked up his 45 and

asked the fellow what he wanted. Turns out he was a little drunk and looking

for a party a couple of doors down. Mike said ok, I'll take you over there.

When the fellow said why Mike said cause if they don't know you I'm going to

shoot you. His neighbors knew the fellow, but Mike said he didn't think the

fellow would ever do it again.

I live in a very nice area by the way, but you just never know. Prepair for

the worst and expect the best. If your wife ever wakes you up in the middle

of the night, a big dog and larger gun are two nice friends to have standing

by.

My Pal Boo

Statistics prove that you'll be much more likely to be killed by your spouse than some random stranger that walks into your home. I'm just happy I live in a country where we don't feel the need to have a gun within arms reach.

Last edited:
I agree with Oz. I'm glad that I live in a country with a good arms regulation. I don't think you shouldn't be able to protect your family or your belongings, but a gun is a bit... well, sensitive. By the way, when you get burgled, these guys aren't out to kill; they're just after your TV, or whatever they want. And hey, let the insurance solve that problem. I won't risk my life for some easily replaceble goods.

As for toy guns: I played with them too, but that does not make me a sick psycho. People who commit acts like the shootout in Columbine, for exemple, are already missing quite a few screws in their head; they're not fully waterproof if you know what I mean. And no toy gun, toy soldier, video game, artist or movie turned them in to these kind of guys.

Just my opinion...

Joey,

Speaking as a European and cop, I would tend to agree with you. The average burglar over here will tend to went to avoid been seen / caught and if enough racket is made, they are far more likely to want to clear off than have a go for the sake of it. (Don't know if the same is true in the States?)

That said, most burglars will break in to a house / building with some kind of instrument, be it a blade, screwdriver or whatever, and certainly in England, we have an increase in attacks with this kind of weapon if the criminal is cornered or challanged.

I would never say to someone don't have a go, but be aware of your own skills, strengths, but more importantly, limitations.

If they are armed (with whatever), and/or there are more of them than there are of you, then be real cautious in tackling them. Great if it comes off, but as you rightly say, having to have someone explain to your kids or your parents why you are no longer around, for the sake of a TV or computor, is, as has previously been described on this post, 'sobering'.

I know that the sentances handed out in this country are pretty crappy.

Take care, and always have a big metal stick by your bedside courtesy of ASP or Monadnock.:)

Simon

I agree with Oz. I'm glad that I live in a country with a good arms regulation. I don't think you shouldn't be able to protect your family or your belongings, but a gun is a bit... well, sensitive. By the way, when you get burgled, these guys aren't out to kill; they're just after your TV, or whatever they want. And hey, let the insurance solve that problem. I won't risk my life for some easily replaceble goods.

As for toy guns: I played with them too, but that does not make me a sick psycho. People who commit acts like the shootout in Columbine, for exemple, are already missing quite a few screws in their head; they're not fully waterproof if you know what I mean. And no toy gun, toy soldier, video game, artist or movie turned them in to these kind of guys.

Just my opinion...

All of us, I hope are not interested in protecting our TV's, your life, however

is a different question. You can view the results of home invasions on the

news all over the world. Are you willing to risk your or your familys existance

to chance?

Should you find yourself in a desperate situation you may only have 1 chance

to get it right. Better to be safe then sorry.

I have traveled all over the world, been in all kinds of places, my training has

always kept me safe. Even in the most harmless situations, I am always

aware of my environment. A policeman is never as far away as when you

need him.

Njja

That's true Simon and Joey, and with the laws of self defence you have to be very careful about the actions you take in response to a perceived threat. A recent example in Australia being a police officer that shot dead a deranged person armed with a knife that was at a beach area. The officer was going to be charged with manslaughter as he could have avoided the guy with the knife, or used his stick or pepper spray. After some enquiry it was said he was lucky to escape being charged. I feel public opinion was well in favour of him, except of course for the guy's family.

I know police officers are far more likely to be placed in dangerous situations but they are still required to play by the rules. The courts under the Westminster system (England and Australia) do not look kindly on people that take anothers life without due cause, even if they are raving loonies, or robbing your house. I'm still trying to work out how those American courts work as I often can't fathom what happens on 'Law and Order' :)

As for 'home invasions'. Again I'm not sure about the US but in Australia they are very rare and usually involve drug related instances where the actually occupant(s) is targeted. Therefore (as far as I know) in the eyes of the law the average robber could not be charged with home invasion.

Last edited:
A recent example in Australia being a police officer that shot dead a deranged person armed with a knife that was at a beach area. The officer was going to be charged with manslaughter as he could have avoided the guy with the knife, or used his stick or pepper spray.

I sympathise, I really do. We are still expected to take on knife wielding idiots with sticks and spray. The culture within our legal system is such that it would be very rare to authorise firearms officers to any such incident.

Again, fine if it goes alright, but....

Sorry, I know we're going a bit off thread here. Just to bring it back around a bit, I still don't beleive there's any link between the drugged up idiot, intent on flashing a weapon around or actually using it for some criminal means, and whether they were allowed to play soldiers or cowboys as kids.

I'll get off now as the Sherriff of Nottingham needs to structure his next campaign against the villianous Robin Hood. Needless to say, it will involve copious quantities of sucker tipped arrows.

Simon

Firearms certainly need to be handled with respect. But remember they are

a tool. If all your tools are home in the garage and you get a flat....your

stuck.

Everyone needs to be safe in their home, and should have a cell phone to call

for assistance and a safe place to protect their family. You are never advised

to confront anyone as no one wins a tie. That being said a locked up weapon

with ammo elsewhere is as useful as a golf club on a tennis court.

A close friend of mine always had a 45 within arms reach. He was a rather

big country fellow so I asked him about it. He told me one night he was

sitting in his living room watching tv and a strange fellow just opened his

front door and walked into his house. My friend Mike picked up his 45 and

asked the fellow what he wanted. Turns out he was a little drunk and looking

for a party a couple of doors down. Mike said ok, I'll take you over there.

When the fellow said why Mike said cause if they don't know you I'm going to

shoot you. His neighbors knew the fellow, but Mike said he didn't think the

fellow would ever do it again.

I live in a very nice area by the way, but you just never know. Prepair for

the worst and expect the best. If your wife ever wakes you up in the middle

of the night, a big dog and larger gun are two nice friends to have standing

by.

My Pal Boo

Someway or another you & I always end up on the same page on most subjests.

Chuck......its just a pleasure to here you say that!

I would expect with all of your vast experience, no one would

ever catch you napping!

Hope you are doing well, and that some great King & Country sets

find there way into your collection!

Njja

My feeling is that here in the states, there is a kill first, then run mentality with even our most menial thugs. To assume that our crooks would rather avoid confrontation than kill the innocent has not been watching the evening news. It is my intention to not go quietly with a shot to the back of my head by some petty thug who does not not give a **** whether I have a future or not.....Look at the video games here that glorify killing and maiming to get points for how bad ***....you can be. The gangs and their death first philosophy have changed the nature of and innocence of crime forever.......Michael

Well you guys are entitled to your opion but the more guns there are in peoples houses, the more likely you'll get shot. If a robber assumes the people he's going to rob will have a gun he's far more likely to carry a gun than a knife, if not both. And frankly I can't see any reason for the average person to need a revolver or any automatic or semi-automatic weapon as they are basically just meant to kill people. Stricter gun laws in NY city have reduced murders, so it seems a reasonable idea to me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_New_York_City

Here are some stats for other cities:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

Well you guys are entitled to your opion but the more guns there are in peoples houses, the more likely you'll get shot. If a robber assumes the people he's going to rob will have a gun he's far more likely to carry a gun than a knife, if not both. And frankly I can't see any reason for the average person to need a revolver or any automatic or semi-automatic weapon as they are basically just meant to kill people. Stricter gun laws in NY city have reduced murders, so it seems a reasonable idea to me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_New_York_City

Here are some stats for other cities:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

I'm with you on this.

There are crazy people all over the world, in every country. We just had a

situation here where a woman that lost her baby, saw a sign on a front lawn

announcing the arrival of another womans baby. She stopped, knocked on

the door and asked to use the phone. The new mother let her in, was

asualted and her baby was kidnapped.

This is not a US problem, look at the UN. There are crazy people all over the

globe.

When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

In my state, you can obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon. In most

states police off duty carry weapons, as do retired police officers. I always

carry a weapon where allowed, I do not remember in my lifetime the last time

an indiviual with a firearm license was involved in an incident.

Training builds confidence, confidence builds tolerance.

Preparation for the unexpected saves lives.

Njja

My oldest boy is allowed to play with soldiers etc,they just arent
realy his thing [unless their water pistols then its all on :) ]
I dont see any harm in it,I played with them as a kid and have no
desire to own the real thing.
As for personaly owning guns ,Unless your into hunting or a farmer etc
I dont see the point .Our police dont carry guns and I,m pretty sure
it would be safer to be a cop in NZ than in the US.
I think as soon as you introduce guns on a wide scale it just raises the
bar.
In New Zealand most violence is domestic related, not bad guys
breaking down the door.So I,m pretty sure if the populace at large
was armed the murder rate here would probably jump as instead
of some one gettin 'the bash' in the heat of the moment,
their would be more domestic shootings.
Just my 2 cents worth

You see, in this country - USA - we face no such choice, or option. The guns were introduced into the society before we ever became a country. Actually, we became a country BECAUSE all citizens had guns, as it were.

Can't roll back more than two centuries of history and cultural heritage now, because of some sociological argument or other.

Would it be better if no one had guns? Tis sure and certain it would be...if NO ONE had them. Also would be a better world if we were all rich beyond the dreams of avarice, there was world peace and no hunger, and we all could look forward to amazingly fulfilling lives.

Until a genie pops up to offer each of us three wishes (which could only turn out well), talking about what it would be like to be firearm-less, in this country anyway, is just as much of a fantasy.

But jeez, folks, this is a toy soldier forum. The original INTENT of the conversation was to analyze the political correctness of playing with or not playing with toy soldiers. From that to lectures on personal safety because of or due to lack of guns is an unfortunate stretch. I'd like to see this conversation go someplace else besides a forum about toys for adults. (o;

Terry in Iowa

...The original INTENT of the conversation was to analyze the political correctness of playing with or not playing with toy soldiers ... I'd like to see this conversation go someplace else ...
Bringing it back to the original intent, my 10 year old nephew will be flying out of San Francisco on the red eye after school on Friday to attend the Chicago Show. From a young age, he played with Conte playsets and other plastic toy soldiers, but he also had a lot of other interests. In 4th grade, he and a number of his friends got more interested in toy soldiers, getting together to recreate and "fight" battles. He's very interested in 1/32 scale plastic toy soldiers, and I may have to get him the new Conde Omaha set.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back