Do your kids have toy soldiers/guns? (2 Viewers)

Bringing it back to the original intent, my 10 year old nephew will be flying out of San Francisco on the red eye after school on Friday to attend the Chicago Show. From a young age, he played with Conte playsets and other plastic toy soldiers, but he also had a lot of other interests. In 4th grade, he and a number of his friends got more interested in toy soldiers, getting together to recreate and "fight" battles. He's very interested in 1/32 scale plastic toy soldiers, and I may have to get him the new Conde Omaha set.:D

There's hope for the younger set then. My son, who got me interested in toy soldiers a couple of years ago but who has been standoffish about it since then (he's a teenager, which explains a lot) has become interested again and wants to get some FOV sets. He probably never stopped liking it but probably figured it's not cool to show that he likes it.

My son and I would play toy soldiers and trains all the time. Of course, it took him a while to figure out that before the battle, I would load up boxcars with figures and when he least expect it, run it behind his front lines and empty them out onto his rear. For some reason ,he never believed that I was trying to teach him a life lesson about not trusting anyone, including his DAD.:D Oh how I miss those times now that he is grown up and moved away. A lesson to you young fathers out there. Let your kids be kids before real life makes them grow up too fast...Michael

I feel the subject of kids having toy guns and adults carrying real ones are closely related so I'll just sneak in one final parting (Parthian) shot on the adults with guns element. Australia has had a very similar development to the US in that guns were very important to the early European settlers. Like settlers in the US, Australian pioneers also had to cope with a harsh environment, dangerous animals and pesky savages (Aboriginals). We also had bushrangers (outlaws), gold rushes, land grabs and most other things experienced by American pioneers.

Therefore both developed a similar gun culture and it is still normal for Aussie teenages in country areas to go hunting at night by spot lighting on properties or chase wild pigs etc during the day on motor bikes or cars. I know I had a lot of fun doing it, and over the years I have had a number of weapons including semi-autos such as a Ruger .22 and a Breda vent-rib 12 guage shotgun.

However following a serial killing in Victoria several years ago the sale and ownership of semi automatic weapons of all kinds was severlly restricted by the federal government. It cost the goverment many millions to buy back these weapons from people but we are now much better off. And there is NO reason why a similar thing can't be accomplished in the US if most Americans WANT it done.

If someone wants to rob you or do you harm it won't matter that you have a gun (concealed on your person or at bedside) as they will have the element of surprise being the aggressor. I am a bit of a Western fan but there were virually no shootouts at noon as depicted in Hollywood westerns. Most people back then were shot from behind or ambushed some other way if they thought you had a weapon, which was likely.

Today is no different. Most robbers are affected by drugs. Therefore in Australia where most people don't have or carry guns, you will just get robbed, then left well alone. While in the US you'll likely get shot, then robbed.

In the US most of us with any training do not intend to go quietly.

There are 223 million firearms in the US.

A citizen in good standing may own a silenced machine gun by transfering

the federal license and paying a fee of $200.

In the United State Bill of Rights here is

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,

the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

If another citizen does not want to possess a firearm fine. In Woodstock

Georgia it is the law every homeowner must possess a gun, crime has gone

down.

Most americans do not plan to be suprised, sneaked up on, or threatened.

If it happens I know at least myself and Chuck Harris will handle the

situation, and go back to sleep.

Njja

Bringing it back to the original intent, my 10 year old nephew will be flying out of San Francisco on the red eye after school on Friday to attend the Chicago Show. From a young age, he played with Conte playsets and other plastic toy soldiers, but he also had a lot of other interests. In 4th grade, he and a number of his friends got more interested in toy soldiers, getting together to recreate and "fight" battles. He's very interested in 1/32 scale plastic toy soldiers, and I may have to get him the new Conde Omaha set.:D

Steven, You're a good Uncle!
It's been almost a year since I had WW2 troops on the table.My Boy, now 12 was really into it for a while. Just WW2, not interested much anymore in ACW or anything else.Hoping to get his interest back with a WW2 theme back on the table.I think he might be at the age where it's a guilty pleasure,self conscience{ spell?} and other kids might laugh at him if they new he was in the garage playing with toys.
Niija, I agree with you!
FubARrRRrrr

We do seem to be getting off topic here so let's try to keep it to the topic at hand without drifting too much into politics.

Steven, You're a good Uncle!
At the Chicago Show, Conteco is selling the Omaha Beach sets for $299 show price. The sets are regularly $349. Lots of money to spend on my nephew, but the playset includes a perfect plastic copy of the resin landing craft that Conte was selling earlier -- Set #1 has the smaller one and Set #2 has the larger landing craft; 100 figures, obstacles, and Dragon's teeth. If you buy both sets, you get 100 extra figures and another landing craft for free. But the boxes are 5' x 2' x 2'.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back