Falkland island battle?? (1 Viewer)

sammy719

Major
Hi all, Thomas posted some great photos today of some Falkland war battle photos ( if you don't have T. Gunn on Facebook you should) I'm wondering is it possible T. Gunn would do the Falkland War at some point?? ...Sammy

Hi all, Thomas posted some great photos today of some Falkland war battle photos ( if you don't have T. Gunn on Facebook you should) I'm wondering is it possible T. Gunn would do the Falkland War at some point?? ...Sammy

Frankly I would not be interested ,more British paras and commandos did we not see enough of these lately ( alhough they were WWII) ?
I don't know what other collectors think about this .Would prefer to see the expansion of the already existing series .That is my personal opinion .
guy:)

Must admit with some shame that I've never really been into the Falklands War, maybe it was not long enough ago or maybe it was too short, not sure, but I prefer the two World Wars myself. But you never know Sammy, there may be a market out there. I know Simon for one would like some:smile2:

Rob

Probably wouldn't be a big seller in Argentina :rolleyes2:

Thomas Gunn considering doing Falklands Wat figures! Please, please let it be true! I think it would be a great range considering the variety of uniforms and kit worn during the campaign and that's just the Brits! The only armour deployed (by the UK) was the Scorpion - a nice small vehicle that would make a lovely model The Argentine forces deployed would also provide an interesting and varied range - marines, army, special forces etc.

I've always been amazed at the way the model soldier industry rarely ventures beyond 1945 so I reallly hope TG gives serious consideration to such a range.

Excellent suggestion. There have been hardly any Falklands War TS. I reckon a club figure based on this iconic photo would be a good place to start.

Falklands_image_flag_WebCropB.jpg

Must admit with some shame that I've never really been into the Falklands War, maybe it was not long enough ago or maybe it was too short, not sure, but I prefer the two World Wars myself. But you never know Sammy, there may be a market out there. I know Simon for one would like some:smile2:

Rob

Yes please!
Would love for a Falklands War range / figures.

No it wouldn't mate, they are still in a bad mood about it too!

Rob

Could be but my recollection is that the generals then in power used the war as a way to deflect from their internal problems. Even though it was the wrong war for the wrong reason for them, no one likes to lose like they did, which is why it's probably a sore point.

Throughout history it seems regimes have used a war to try to paper over their internal problem.

Brad

I think this would be an excellent idea and some great possibilities could come from this. It is about time this was portrayed in the hobby.

I would buy it all
Mitch

Could be but my recollection is that the generals then in power used the war as a way to deflect from their internal problems. Even though it was the wrong war for the wrong reason for them, no one likes to lose like they did, which is why it's probably a sore point.

Throughout history it seems regimes have used a war to try to paper over their internal problem.

Brad

Right on spot Brad! From my experience it still touches a nerve with some Argentinians, but fewer and fewer as time goes by... Recently their populist lady president came up with the subject again, also trying to engage UK`s PM in a press battle, probing the feed-back the issue would rise internally, again for diverging focus over the serious economic crises they are facing. Fortunately the eco was very low, almost inexistent…
As for the range if TG comes up with it I will certainly jump in; we followed closely that war from here and I was 21 at the time; for me, that since a young boy was deeply attracted to military issues and history, it was as close as I could feel to a conflict! I still remember traveling for 4 hours to go see the Vulcan that had to land in Rio because of technical problems. I`ll never forget seeing it take off! There`s quite enough material to work with, and I think a small range (like K&C`s SF range) in the normal TG 100 quantity per item might do well...

Right on spot Brad! From my experience it still touches a nerve with some Argentinians, but fewer and fewer as time goes by... Recently their populist lady president came up with the subject again, also trying to engage UK`s PM in a press battle, probing the feed-back the issue would rise internally, again for diverging focus over the serious economic crises they are facing. Fortunately the eco was very low, almost inexistent…
As for the range if TG comes up with it I will certainly jump in; we followed closely that war from here and I was 21 at the time; for me, that since a young boy was deeply attracted to military issues and history, it was as close as I could feel to a conflict! I still remember traveling for 4 hours to go see the Vulcan that had to land in Rio because of technical problems. I`ll never forget seeing it take off! There`s quite enough material to work with, and I think a small range (like K&C`s SF range) in the normal TG 100 quantity per item might do well...

If you don't mind me asking, were you rooting for Argentina. As this was before we knew the excesses of the military, my mother and I used to have arguments about the Falklands as she called them and the Malvinas as I called them. Having majored in Latin American Studies (and written a couple of papers on Argentina) and lived in Uruguay and Brasil, I was definitely sympathetic to the Argentines. Over time I've learned that this war was just an attempt to prop up a morally bankrupt regime.

Brad

If you don't mind me asking, were you rooting for Argentina. As this was before we knew the excesses of the military, my mother and I used to have arguments about the Falklands as she called them and the Malvinas as I called them. Having majored in Latin American Studies (and written a couple of papers on Argentina) and lived in Uruguay and Brasil, I was definitely sympathetic to the Argentines. Over time I've learned that this war was just an attempt to prop up a morally bankrupt regime.

Brad

Brad

Perhaps your change of view might be part of the 'creep to the right' that many of us experience as we get older - or at least I have!

It also raises the interesting question of when a war becomes 'history' in the sense that the passions have cooled enough for TS makers to look at a range as being non political. I know the manufacturing of the SS is still an issue that creates some ill ease, but does the Falklands offer an 'historical' option that the War on Terror is decades away from matching?

Jack

Brad

Cheer for the backing Brad :rolleyes2:^&grin

Brad

Same thing happened to me in 1982 when I was 21, and the vast majority of Brazilians (despite historic rivalry with Argentina, with soccer topping the list…LOL) and all Latin Americans, at that time Brad… After all the dust settled, and what was really going on with the Junta in Argentina surfaced, there was a total change of heart...

Brad

Perhaps your change of view might be part of the 'creep to the right' that many of us experience as we get older - or at least I have!

It also raises the interesting question of when a war becomes 'history' in the sense that the passions have cooled enough for TS makers to look at a range as being non political. I know the manufacturing of the SS is still an issue that creates some ill ease, but does the Falklands offer an 'historical' option that the War on Terror is decades away from matching?

Jack

Jack,

I don't think so. The problem was the reason why they did it. As a Latin American and a person whose sensibility was formed by living in Uruguay and identifying with people from the Rio de la Plata region, I still think the islands belong to Argentina. However, it's probably never going to happen.

Brad

Jack,

I don't think so. The problem was the reason why they did it. As a Latin American and a person whose sensibility was formed by living in Uruguay and identifying with people from the Rio de la Plata region, I still think the islands belong to Argentina. However, it's probably never going to happen.

Brad

Brad,

Couldn`t put it better myself.

I remember watching the news reports about it as a kid with my dad. Later in life I read a few books about it. Therefore it holds historical and nostalgic interests to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back