Fancy a Knight out in Agincourt? (1 Viewer)

I think the ones you did are better. In my defense though I claim that these were made four and a half years ago.

No such thing as "better" KV. Mine are just different. I guess we all have our own styles - and mine are Glossy!

Are those Dudkins models????? Not many around over here. I like your detailing on the shields - which are always tricky to get at.

As I said - verra nice!:cool: jb

It's been a while - but here goes again with a few more Knights. This time, I'll be doing a bit more adaptation of my usual re-cast old Selwyn-Smith castings. Here's a pic below - which shows seven castings that I'm going to adapt. It's a bit of a busy pic - but I hope you can follow what I intend doing, as I describe below.

Note that I now invariably take off the original head from each figure - and replace it with a Dorset Soldiers one, especially made to suit these figures. This allows for a separate removable Great Helm to be added to the figure - which then can look remarkably similar to many of the old Courtney figures. Here's a pic below of Cortney's version of Sir Thomas Manny .

(With thanks to Vectis Auctions for the photo).

As you may be able to make out from my original pic - my Selwyn-Smith recast figure is different from the casting used by Courtney, and has a full caparison for the horse - instead of the half-caparison - but will have many similar features incorporated into the eventual figure - such as the removable helmet - and similar looking weapons etc.

I think I'll explain whom each figure is intended to portray - as I progress with the painting - but can tell you that each will be based upon a figure that Courtney originally produced - though mine will differ significantly, of course from his. You can probably make out Sir Thomas Manny KG at front right of my original pic - who is well underway already. I have painted up most of the Coat-of-Arms detail and have just fitted on his shield to his left arm. Note it is, as yet unpainted - as I have glued this to pre-existing fixing studs - and filed them to provide a flat surface. I will prep and paint this in-situ, as I normally do. I leave off most of the separate parts - to make reaching the awkward bits of the bodywork easier, and get the paintbrush into small spaces.

Note that I painted his sword and scabbard OFF the piece - and fitted this just before the shield went on and after the caparison was completed. This sword is another Courtney lookalike part, which is available from Dorset Soldiers again, for the princely sum of 40 pence! I think these parts make a tremendous difference to each figures - and now frequently prefer them to the original cast-in weapons.

Another thing to note - is that I have tried with some of these figures to make some of the horse into a more rearing pose than they were originally cast to represent. This can be achieved through either removing some original horse legs and replacing them in slightly different positions - or even sometimes, subtly bending them sufficiently, to elevate the front legs. The position on the bases of the rear legs will frequently need to change - but bases can be drilled and pinned to suit the pose required quite easily.

This bending of horse legs is what I did with the Manny horse - though I replaced Manny's original mace wielding arm with another, now holding an axe - (as a nod in the direction of Courtney's version). The axe replaced the mace - again by cutting off the original weapon - and drilling the empty hand and glueing in the axe shaft. ( another Dorset Knight spare part).

So....we're off again...........with hopefully what will turn out to be another "Magnificent Seven" for my Medieval collection. Watch this space, as I progress - if you like. :D:salute::jb

So....we're off again...........with hopefully what will turn out to be another "Magnificent Seven" for my Medieval collection. Watch this space, as I progress - if you like. :D:salute::jb

You certainly do not take the 'easy way out' on your figures jb !

Thanks for the "Courtney" photo.

Your work is great to watch and admire.

Here's a quick and messy update on progress of some of my latest knights.

Front left is Sir John Lonsdale - showing his Coat of Arms of Gold and Black - with Bugle-horn in white and red lion passant above. Some work to go with this figure yet.

Front right is Sir WALTER Manny ( and NOT Thomas, as previously stated). His Coat of Arms is simpler, with threee black chevrons on a field of Gold.

Rear left is Sir Rafe (Ralph) Beaupre - whose Coat of Arms is incomplete at the moment - but will show a Golden lion rampant on a field of green - with a red bend across these devices - once completed.

And lastly - rear right - on a prancing mount is; - Alphonso, King of Aragon - whose Coat of Arms is a Gold Field with four vertical stripes of red. Courtney's version shows him with Golden Armour, so I will show my version with the same.
I had some fun with this casting, by altering some of the parts to make him prance even higher than the figure was originally. Note the tail of the horse - which was lengthened and inverted to provide a third anchorage point for the figure on a modified base.

Helmets are currently being painted for all four figures - but paint is a bit wet to handle yet. jb

jb...was going through some Old Toy Soldier Newsletter issues and came across this one, thought you might enjoy picture of the cover.

OTSN_August 1987.JPG

jb...was going through some Old Toy Soldier Newsletter issues and came across this one, thought you might enjoy picture of the cover.

View attachment 196516

I wish..................:salute::

Well, his work has certainly stood the test of time. I still just love to see his knights whenever they appear for sale. But, given the prices they go for nowadays, that's also about as close as I'll ever get to actually owning a real one.

However..................all is not lost..............I still have a few brushes and a pot or two of paint - and as long as I can get hold of a casting or two...............I'll keep knocking a few out that look just a little bit like the Master's.

Here's Sir Walter Manny KG - circa 1340 - now complete with removable helmet, at least something in the style of Richard Courtney. Hope you like him - jb

I wish..................:salute::

Here's Sir Walter Manny KG - circa 1340 - now complete with removable helmet, at least something in the style of Richard Courtney. Hope you like him - jb

The combination of your work and a "Roy Selwyn-Smith" sculpt produce a masterpiece.

Thank you !

The combination of your work and a "Roy Selwyn-Smith" sculpt produce a masterpiece.

Thank you !

Well, thank you for saying that - but masterpiece may be a bit strong! :salute::

Roy Selwyn-Smith and Richard Courtney were friends of course, and Courtney adapted some of his friends' figures - at the request of a collector - to make up at least four mounted "hybrid figures". I've simply adapted some recast parts - and added on what I can get - just for the fun of trying out a few more............

All of my latest batch have been made by Courtney - but not with the SS castings - so mine should hopefully be unique.

Here's another pic below - showing some more developments with my latest batch. Note my dring area - which is a convenient sunny window-sill today:cool:

Front left is Sir John Lonsdale - drawn sword in hand, at the gallop: nearly completed - helmet is drying.

Front right is King Alphonso of Aragon ( nowadays, part of Spain). Also near completion.

The figure at back right will be Sir Rafe (Ralph) Beaupre - a Cornish born knight, despite his French sounding name. I used the same casting for him - as I used for Sir Walter Manny ( next to him), which you have seen before. I gave Rafe a sword arm from my spares box ( I think it was rescued from a distressed old Crescent figure). With a bit of filing and a dab of milliput - it fits him fine. As you can see - his coat of arms features a green field, with a Golden Lion rampant - with a diagonal bend of red across. Not as advanced as the other figures yet. jb

The figure at back right will be Sir Rafe (Ralph) Beaupre - a Cornish born knight, despite his French sounding name. I used the same casting for him - as I used for Sir Walter Manny ( next to him), which you have seen before. I gave Rafe a sword arm from my spares box ( I think it was rescued from a distressed old Crescent figure). With a bit of filing and a dab of milliput - it fits him fine. As you can see - his coat of arms features a green field, with a Golden Lion rampant - with a diagonal bend of red across. Not as advanced as the other figures yet. jb

The figure of Sir Rafe Beaupre looks enough different from Sir Walter Manny, due to the right arm and heraldry...your "Optivisor" talent sure shows through on the painting.

These Knights truly have a "Place in the Sun" !

Thank you jb

The figure of Sir Rafe Beaupre looks enough different from Sir Walter Manny, due to the right arm and heraldry...your "Optivisor" talent sure shows through on the painting.

These Knights truly have a "Place in the Sun" !

Thank you jb

Well - they had a nice couple of hours in the sun today - which helps dry the paint off a treat. It is of course, perfectly possible to just paint each original casting in new Coats-of-Arms, for each individual knight - just as they come from the caster. But - I try to make each piece just that bit more different to each other - by varying the pose slightly - changing arms, or weapons etc.

Then, hopefully, each figure will be just a tad more different to others that I've made up and painted before.

You sometimes have to look closely to see the differences ( other than the obvious paint jobs), but they are there - and I just love playing about with them - to get as close as I can to getting what I like doing best.

Glad others seem to like them too. jb

Completed the Great Helms for all of my first three figures now.

Next two are well underway. Sir Rafe Beaupre waiting for Great Helm to be completed. My newest figure underway - with a very striking Coat of Arms - is Sir John Montgomery. Note that I have not fixed on his Lance Arm yet - but have begun painting this off the figure. This means I can get at some of the trickier bits to paint without the lance or arm getting in the way. My last two figures have been started - but not much to see yet. jb

Completed the Great Helms for all of my first three figures now.

Next two are well underway. Sir Rafe Beaupre waiting for Great Helm to be completed. My newest figure underway - with a very striking Coat of Arms - is Sir John Montgomery. Note that I have not fixed on his Lance Arm yet - but have begun painting this off the figure. This means I can get at some of the trickier bits to paint without the lance or arm getting in the way. My last two figures have been started - but not much to see yet. jb

Another fabulous job JB,love the detail, not bad for a blind man!!! :p
Ray

Amazing work Johnny!

Thanks Dave - glad you like 'em. Here's another completed - now with helmet on. Sir Rafe Beaupre. I did this one on a white horse - as Courtney did - although he used one of his own castings instead of a Selwyn-Smith horse, as mine is. I'm really pleased with the way his sword arm came out - as this was an old arm rescued from a much damaged piece that was beyond repair. I cut it off and saved it as a possible spare quite a while ago ( I think from a Crescent figure???). I pinned and glued it to this figure - with the help of a little bit of milliput filler, which made the short sleeve. Looks liken it was made for him!:D

At the rear is Sir John Montgomery - progressing nicely - and a newly begun figure of Sir Eustace de Ribemont in Bergundy and gold. This almost basket-work arrangement of arms is called "fretty". Note that no weapons or shield is on yet - those will be fitted when paintwork is satisfactory and dry. Lance always look good on these castings. jb

Hi Johnny,

The detachable great helms is an amazing idea! I really enjoy seeing how you do these things and to be honest make it sound too easy...

Thanks again for sharing these with us. Sometime you will need to take a few photos of the display cases where these beauties reside.

Dave

The detachable helm was the idea of Richard Courtney, of course - and has been around for as long as I have ( which is a fairly long time!:D). So, I'm afraid I can't take the credit for inventing them.

It was only when I asked Giles at Dorset Soldiers if he could make an alternative head for these castings - that we came up with the replacement idea - and he made up the head and helm to get them to look similar to the old Courtney ones. In actual fact - the head is very slightly too large for the helm - and some cast in hair at the back has to be removed - and a bit of metal shaved off the inside of the helm - before they fit at all. Then, you also can't be too liberal with coats of paint for the face, or once again - they won't fit.

BUT............as you can see - if care is taken, they can very nearly approximate the look of some of the most rare of Courtney figures ( I believe that he only made four mounted figures, using the Selwyn-Smith castings - as described in Peter Greenhill's marvelous book "Heraldic Miniature Knights" pp.121-125).

I think that I enjoy making these up more than any other figures - these days - although repairing and restoring many makes of the old hollowcast Cowboys run them a pretty close second. The real key to success though, is being able to get hold of either newly cast spare parts - or canablising old damaged figures for bits and pieces - or as I hope I've shown - sometimes both.

Glad you like 'em anyway, Dave. jb

A couple more pics - showing my fifth figure for this time, now completed. He's Sir John Montgomery, whom I have given a lance for this charging pose.

The two pics show both sides of all five - so far. jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back