Favorite Britains set or figure? (2 Viewers)

Does Britains do miniature dogs as well??- Sorry, I am off topic here- my daughter was looking at my 2003 Britains catalog and I want to think she saw some dogs in there.

Thanks,
CC

They have made dogs in the past, sheepdog, greyhound, st. bernard also foxhounds. I don't think they currently make any though. They did make a wolfhound mascot for one of the Irish sets I believe.

They have made dogs in the past, sheepdog, greyhound, st. bernard also foxhounds. I don't think they currently make any though. They did make a wolfhound mascot for one of the Irish sets I believe.

If anyone has the St. Bernard that they would be willing to sell me, give me a shout- be merciful if it is some kind of retired or limited edition figure- we lost our St. Bernard, Raleigh a couple years back while on vacation- my daughter really hasn't gotten over it and she collects St. Bernards to remember him.

Like I said, feel free to give me a shout. :)

CC

If anyone has the St. Bernard that they would be willing to sell me, give me a shout- be merciful if it is some kind of retired or limited edition figure- we lost our St. Bernard, Raleigh a couple years back while on vacation- my daughter really hasn't gotten over it and she collects St. Bernards to remember him.

Like I said, feel free to give me a shout. :)

CC

Hi Chris,

The St. Bernard was made years ago and from lead. Production was ceased in 1966. There are usually some on eBay though, not really expensive.

Here's one Ebay doesn't look to bad and not a bad price either

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Britains-Vintage...ryZ10853QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't have any experience with the older Britains sets but from the last years and what is currently available I would go with John "leadmen" and pick the Bluecoats, Redcoats and FIW series and in particular the 1st Foot Guards. I will post some pictures of the band figures I received today but in a separate thread, as I plan to add more pictures within the next few days.
Konrad

As I collect both Old and New Britains,and I have an passion for things Scottish.
My fave' Old set is the Pipes and Drums of the Black Watch.
New is the #5185 Seaforth Highlanders Foreign Service unifrom with Colors and Piper. I have three of these and have a nice parade going!
O.C.

As I collect both Old and New Britains,and I have an passion for things Scottish.
My fave' Old set is the Pipes and Drums of the Black Watch.
New is the #5185 Seaforth Highlanders Foreign Service unifrom with Colors and Piper. I have three of these and have a nice parade going!
O.C.

Terrif selection. Britains set 2109 is one of the finest ever made.

2109 - Black Watch Band.jpg

That's very nice, looks like the set Britains used to create the Hollowcast Cameron Highlanders (another great set) :)

It is always too hard for me to pick a favorite from most lists of things I like, but I just got this set and I think it is brilliant. I was surprised by the very slender ramrod used by the standing figure...very different from the chunkier one in the photo. Mine is essentially a piece of fine gauge wire with a ball at the end and it is a bit flexible. Both figures are really impressive...I think my favorite of the current Napoleonics range. Will likely get 1 or 2 more sets of this. Could I suggest another 2 man set of guardsmen, 1 standing to fire, though standing more squarely, not leaning forward like the 1 already issued, and 1 kneeling to reload. Also, perhaps a single offering of an officer directing fire for a small firing line.

MD

Attachments

• 17995 (Medium).jpg
    17995 (Medium).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 114
The French & Indian War Royal Artillery set (#43144) gets my vote. Randy

Attachments

• royalartilleryfrontSM.jpg
    royalartilleryfrontSM.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 97
For those of us who love vintage Britains there is a finite limit to the selection process because obviously Britains ceased production in 1966. For those of you who love the new Britains figures, the choice is more difficult as new figures are forthcoming almost monthly.

I, like most of you have many favorite sets. Each for a different reason or memory that it brings me, but I have two that I enjoy most. The Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps set and the Alamo Jim Bowie 2-part set. I have both of those displayed in the top shelfs of my 2 curios. Great question. Thanks.

The French & Indian War Royal Artillery set (#43144) gets my vote. Randy

Sheesh Randy......I was going to ask you to "Stop It Please"....but you know, you've converted me to the FIW to such an extent that I'm now going to review my collecting strategy for the rest of this year - after I get those items I've promised myself and the Missus, at the end of March.
Cheers
H

the elafants from the delhi dubar rangs
the plans from ww 1
and the new ww 1 and the napolion rangs .

richard .:);)

One of my favourites is the vintage Fort Henry Guard Pioneer, not sure why, maybe because it is a unique pose that Britains never did for any other figure prior to 1966 and looks a little more relaxed than the other standard parade figures. Its limited run and availability in 1965(?) at Fort Henry, Kingston, Canada, is also appealing.

It was so popular, Britains reproduced a solid version later, as well as the mascot and some guards

I would like to see W.Britain produce a colour party, marching pioneers, mounted officers, artillery set, marching guardsmen, a new band, and some unique poses as part of the Red Coat or Archive series that would complement the earlier sets done. Please note these could be sold again at Fort Henry, which is still a major tourist attraction.

Attachments

• Fort Henry Guard Pioneer 001.jpg
    Fort Henry Guard Pioneer 001.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Fort Henry Guard Pioneer 002.jpg
    Fort Henry Guard Pioneer 002.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Fort Henry Guard Pioneer 003.jpg
    Fort Henry Guard Pioneer 003.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 93
Yo Troopers, This must be one of Britains best from the 1990s. What you Reckon "Damian". Lets see a poem about this lol. Sadley to make room and push on this set is for sale or swap (see classified) need new sets for cabinet that I dont have, also got my eye on a set in Vectis auctions this month:(
Bernard.

Attachments

• mammys Day 010.jpg
    mammys Day 010.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 92
here is another of my favourites [hamleys hussar ltd edition]

Attachments

• Picture 094.jpg
    Picture 094.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 77
Yo Vandilay "SIR", superb set not seen this one before thanks for showing it. What year was this put out, and what was cost?. The only thing I dont like is the horses on plates (you taking notes Britains) "Gads Sir" why put the horses on plates "Odd fish my dears" dont they have four legs to stand on. Great set Van, might break my rule about horses standing on plates if this comes up for sale, also it contains some regiments not produced before.
Bernard.

Yo Vandilay "SIR", superb set not seen this one before thanks for showing it. What year was this put out, and what was cost?. The only thing I dont like is the horses on plates (you taking notes Britains) "Gads Sir" why put the horses on plates "Odd fish my dears" dont they have four legs to stand on. Great set Van, might break my rule about horses standing on plates if this comes up for sale, also it contains some regiments not produced before.
Bernard.

Yo Van, another thing great photo, how do you get such a good close up. I have a great camera Samsung L73 but I am to photography, as what "Damian" is to being an Hussar lol. Any tips would be most grateful "SIR".
Bernard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back