Favorite glossy toy soldiers (1 Viewer)

favorite glossy toy soldiers

• Total voters
For me, Kingcast had the very best artillery and crews and are now VERY difficult to find as well. Steadfast has followed in that tradition. The EARLY Trophy figs. (c. 1983-85) breached the gap between the old Britains and the "new" old toy soldiers figs. quite nicely....they fit in well with both my old Britains collection (scalewise) and the newer (Alymer, etc.) groupings.

For me, Kingcast had the very best artillery and crews and are now VERY difficult to find as well. Steadfast has followed in that tradition. The EARLY Trophy figs. (c. 1983-85) breached the gap between the old Britains and the "new" old toy soldiers figs. quite nicely....they fit in well with both my old Britains collection (scalewise) and the newer (Alymer, etc.) groupings.

Welcome aboard.
Good to have another fan of fine glossy toy soldiers on this forum.
I think the Kingcast tractors were really good,
I kick myself now for not collecting them and Imperial and TAW back in the day, but you always have to make choices.

This is a good thread for my tastes. When I looked at the choices I realised that I liked most of them. Liked them enough to buy them.

a) I like Bill Hocker’s toy soldiers. With these it goes beyond the individual figures. The presentation of his themes (Boer War, Wild West etc.), the traditional boxes, the internet site (including the ‘resource section’), the posters, his good will … it’s all good.

b) I really like some Imperial figures. In fact I think that my three chasseur à cheval figures, from Imperial, are my top favourite figures. With some others, like the Crimean War Russian foot figures in Grey coats, the coats are too smooth, too stylized for my taste.

c) Little Legion has beautiful figures. One is probably my favourite ‘don’t have it’ figure. I don’t see it on their site though. It’s a Napoleonic cavalry figure charging on a grey horse looking like it’s just jumped over a fence. Looks a bit like the figure below.

d) Not listed on the poll are ‘Soldiers of the World’ which I believe has stopped production. I have quite a few of their Napoleonic figures. I like them a lot.

e) Hiriart of South America has nice traditional figures in the traditional boxes with the figures tied in thread.

f) I don’t have any of the Monarch Samurai range but have seen them at shows and they look wonderful.

e) Of course the new Britain figures (redcoat, bluecoat, etc.) are so well done.

f) Tradition makes very nice figures as we can see with Konrad’s mounted soldiers from the Frederick the Great era. They’ve been posted on another thread. Their strengths are a vast range, reasonable prices and excellent castings.

g) Mignot has wonderful figures. Their strengths are tradition, a vast range that can be seen in the wonderful Mignot book, their diorama boxes, and the figures themselves which look like toys first and soldiers second. The downside are the prices. At the Chicago Show the mounted figures were around $50 each.

h) Can't forget Beau Geste. I even saw Andy of King & Country buying some at the Chicago Show.

At first I saw this as a top ten list but I can’t prioritize them. The ones I like the most are those I happen to be looking at, at that very moment.

The photos are Imperial, Soldiers of the World, Hocker, Tradition, and LL.
IMG_5493.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg

Attachments

• 23343_986962t.jpg
    23343_986962t.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 292
Hi Russell,
Thanks for the wonderful photos. I also find it hard to choose with such quality and my tastes do change according to pieces. But my priority is Imperial and I find it hard to display one or 2 pieces per manufacturer:(.
Soldiers of the World are part of the poll, watch closely. Take a look at the Regal thread under other glossy manufacturers and check their website to find some nice glossy figures, including a good ACW range, all now looking like Soldiers of the World style.

Cheers,
Paulo

Gentle Friends,

Like Russell, I find I like the products of almost all the manufacturers listed in the survey. I have spent days attempting to determine what manufacturer I should choose as my favorite. The task has been close to impossible for me, but I shall make an attempt to make a choice by placing the manufacturers in levels or tiers that reflect my preferences. My preferences are as follow:

Tier #1:

In order to determine what manufacturers belonged in the first tier, I asked myself what figures do I tend to purchase over all other glossy choices. The results are as follow:

1st Choice: Beau Geste. As most of you know, I am an avid Delhi Durbar collector and when I have the opportunity to make a purchase for my Durbar collection, I first look at the Beau Geste sets I have not yet acquired. In my opinion, both the sculpting and painting of these figures is of the highest quality.

2nd Choice: Monarch Regalia: I collect the Monarch Regalia glossy Samurai series. I simply cannot get enough of these figures. They are beautiful! If I decide not to purchase a Beau Geste Durbar set, the Monarch Regalia Samurai figures are my next choice. I am also greatly attracted to Monarch Regalia's Procession line and the Crimean War line. If I ever complete my collection of the Samurai figures, I will begin to collect the Procession and the Crimean War figures.

3rd Choice: William Hocker. I love Mr. Hocker's work and I will purchase his products whenever I have the opportunity. I am especially drawn to his Imperial Durbar series, but I place Mr. Hocker as my third choice within the first tier as his Durbar line reflects the Durbar of 1877 and most of my Durbar figures reflect the Durbar of 1903.

Tier #2:

Now the going gets tougher for me. In the case of tier #2, I cannot rank order the makers. They are all grand with outstanding products. I collect the figures of some of these manufacturers while greatly admiring the products of the other manufactures that I have placed in this tier. The manufacturers I place in my second tier are as follows:

Marlborough: I collect Marlborough's Delhi Durbar series. Their Durbar line is among the most extensive produced by any maker. I find them to be incredibly charming. I place them in my second tier only because I usually purchase figures from the first tier before spending my resources on the Marlborough figures.

Trophy: What beautiful figures Trophy has produced! Due to the prices in the secondary market of these fine figures, I am not presently collecting them. However, I list them in this tier because I already own a nice assortment of these figures.

Tedtoy: I collect figures produced by Tedtoy, but like Marlborough, I frequently choose a product from the First Tier before I purchase Tedtoy products. I am especially drawn to Ted's whimsical Civil War Camp scenes.

Tier #3:

Britains: I am not actively collecting the Britains figures, but I have done so in the past. W. Britains and I are old friends and it is simply a matter of time before Britains produces something I cannot resist.

Imperial: Imperial constitutes a manufacturer whose products I wish I could collect. The only reason I do not collect these wonderful figures is because, like most collectors, I must make choices. My budget cannot handle all the figures I would like to purchase.

Little Legion: Ditto what I said regarding Imperial. Little Legion produces an outstanding product that I think enhances any glossy collection.

Alexanders Toy Soldiers: I love these figures, but I have yet to collect any of them. Perhaps in the future I will add some of these marvelous figures to my collection.

Hiriart: Once again, I must echo the comments I have presented for the above Third Tier figures. These figures are excellent. I wish I owned some of them.

Fusilier/Tommy Atkins: Beautiful figures!

Somerset: Though pricy, these figures are most outstanding. Often I have come very close to purchasing some of these figures, but I usually beat a retreat back to the Beau Geste figures I love.

Tier #4:

Dorset: I own a set or two of the Dorset figures, but I usually purchase from the first three tiers above before I purchase a Dorset set.

Tradition of London: Like Dorset, I like the figures, but usually purchase from the first three tiers before considering Tradition figures.

Soldiers of the World: I have never had the opportunity to closely examine these figures and I really do not know much about them. Therefore, I include them in Tier #4.

Ducal: My attitude toward Ducal is very similar to my attitude toward Dorset. These are nice figures, but not usually at the top of my list.

King and Country: I know these figures are quite popular, but they have never been among my top choices. Also, I believe they are quite expensive on the secondary market and I would rather use my resources to purchase items higher on my list.

Laura Cuello: I am not at all familiar with these figures. Therefore, I place them in my fourth tier.

Steadfast: With me, the Steadfast figures are somewhat hit and miss. Some of the figures I like very much and while other Steadfast figures are less attractive to me. Consequently, I place them in my fourth tier.

I regret I have made you read another of my too lengthy posts, but I wanted to make certain everyone understood I admire the products of almost all the manufacturers listed above. Simply stated, I like a few of the manufacturers slightly more than some of the others.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

Dear Pat,
I feel towards Beau Geste what you feel towards Imperial: I would like to collect Beau Geste but I have to make choices:(. IMHO Beau Geste toy soldiers have excellent quality and I would rate them among the 2 or 3 that I like best: Imperial at number 1 and New Britains and Beau Geste at number 2. Of these 3 the only one I have easy access to from Europe is New Britains, so something has to give...:eek:. But any Beau Geste range catches my eye (WWI, a special interest of mine, but also any others, the sets are just beautiful and colorful). I have to admit that I have never had on of these sets in my hand, but from photos I am sure I wouldn't be disappointed.
Oh, and it was a pleasure reading your post, as always, so don't worry about long, it's an interesting post and interesting means I read it in a heartbeat;).

Cheers,
Paulo

Monarch Regalia really deserves a vote. Individually considered these figures owe nothing to the very best, I have one of their Crimean War sets (the beautiful Highlanders). The figures are an ode to perfection, both sculpting wise and painting wise, great detail. But they seem scarce and hard to find and I as a few others know very little about this webless manufacturer from Thailand. To those that do not know them, check them at Tedtoy's site and be careful, you can easily fall for them:rolleyes:.

Paulo

Monarch Regalia really deserves a vote. Individually considered these figures owe nothing to the very best, I have one of their Crimean War sets (the beautiful Highlanders). The figures are an ode to perfection, both sculpting wise and painting wise, great detail. But they seem scarce and hard to find and I as a few others know very little about this webless manufacturer from Thailand. To those that do not know them, check them at Tedtoy's site and be careful, you can easily fall for them:rolleyes:.

Paulo

Hi Paulo,

I fully agree with your assessment of the Monarch Regalia figures. However, your warning comes to me too late. I have already fallen for them! :eek:

Pat ;)

Hello Pat,

Thank you very much for an interesting and illuminating post.

As always, you have written another very comprehensive and well organised brief.

A review of glossy manufacturers is timely and appropriate as the tide has turned towards matte.

If it were any shorter, you may not have done justice to the subject.

There is much too learn from experienced collectors like yourself.

Best Wishes, Raymond.

Hi Pat, It's good that you weighed in. Basically this thread is a glossy/traditional toy soldier love fest, and that's good :). My impression, in reading your comments, is that your choices are predicated on the Delhi Durbar.

Also, I'm surprised to see Britain has few votes. Of course, the sample is small. Any comments from anyone on this? Would these votes be an indication of sales percentages? :confused:

Hi Pat, It's good that you weighed in. Basically this thread is a glossy/traditional toy soldier love fest, and that's good :). My impression, in reading your comments, is that your choices are predicated on the Delhi Durbar.

Also, I'm surprised to see Britain has few votes. Of course, the sample is small. Any comments from anyone on this? Would these votes be an indication of sales percentages? :confused:

Hi Russell,

Unavoidably, I guess I have predicated much of my choosing on the quality of Delhi Durbar figures. After all, the Durbar is my passion and a large percentage of my collection is composed of Durbar figures. However, you might note I included Monarch Regalia, a company that does not produce Durbar figures, in my first tier of manufacturers and, while I am very interested in William Hocker's Imperial Durbar line, I do not limit my Hocker collection to only his Durbar figures.

Included in my second tier of manufacturers are Marlborough, Trophy, and Tedtoy. Marlborough has an extensive line of Durbar figures, but the same is not true of Trophy and Tedtoy. Trophy produced a line of the Raj, but the lline was not exclusively Durbar figures, and Tedtoy has never produced Durbar figures.

Since I have to base my choices on what is available to me for first hand viewing, I naturally turn to my own collection. The end result of examining my collection is you see lots of Durbar figures! :D But,...you also see examples of figures manufactured by Conte, Britains, Monarch Regalia, Tedtoy, Beau Geste, King and Country, W. Hocker, Medallion Miniatures, Steadfast, Trophy, and a few others. Consequently, I do have access to some other glossy figures on which to base my final choices.

The bottom line of my lengthy post was I significantly admire most of the products produced by the manufacturers on the survey list. However, you are correct, my interest in the Durbar certainly must have influenced my final choices. ;)

Pat :)

My favorite glossy manufacturer is Trophy. I made a choice back in 1996 to collect Trophy rather than Tradition or Imperial. This choice was based on a number of issues. The first was the appeal of the figures. Trophy were full bodied and well painted. (As were the others) The range was important and Trophy had an extensive range of subjects I was interested in. The availability issue was also important. You coudl get hold of Trophy stuff quite easily via MKL. Other companies were not so easily available
I now collect Little Legion and I base this on it's relative compatibility with Trophy. In many ways Little Legion make the sets that Trophy never got round to.
As for the Durbar I have all teh WB Durbar sets. Once again availability was a major factor in me choosing this range.

Also, I'm surprised to see Britain has few votes. Of course, the sample is small. Any comments from anyone on this? Would these votes be an indication of sales percentages? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Britains is like your everyday beer and some of the others are your going out with friends beer

Britains is like your everyday beer and some of the others are your going out with friends beer[/QUOTE]

Of their recent glossy ranges my criticism of Britains are as follows:

Redcoats/Bluecoats and FIW - they are like uniform catalogues - one figure per regiment - it makes it difficult to do large scale dioramas.

Crimea/Indian Mutiny - I quite liked these particularly the Indian Mutiny but they sort of finished before they really got started or maybe they just have an extermely slow release schedule. So I haven't collect.

Zulu - Britains could be a serious contender for the best matte range but there are too few releases to challenge either Trophy or Little Legion in gloss.

I think the sample size is too small to achieve statistical significance.

It is unlikely that anyone at WB will loose any sleep on this poll.

Raymond.:)

Of their recent glossy ranges my criticism of Britains are as follows:

Redcoats/Bluecoats and FIW - they are like uniform catalogues - one figure per regiment - it makes it difficult to do large scale dioramas.

Crimea/Indian Mutiny - I quite liked these particularly the Indian Mutiny but they sort of finished before they really got started or maybe they just have an extermely slow release schedule. So I haven't collect.

Zulu - Britains could be a serious contender for the best matte range but there are too few releases to challenge either Trophy or Little Legion in gloss.

Britains produces excellent glossy figures and I do collect this manufacturer.

However, I have become a little tentative about further purchases for the precisely the comments you listed.

Britains produces excellent glossy figures and I do collect this manufacturer.

However, I have become a little tentative about further purchases for the precisely the comments you listed.

Me too, couldn't agree more.

Paulo

Me too, couldn't agree more.

Paulo

Hi Paulo,

Thanks very much for starting an interesting poll.

It does reflect the collecting preferences of those who have voted.

As for Britains, I think the boxes and packing are very well made for international shipping.

The figures fit snugly into the foam inserts and do not dislodge easily.

I have not received any damaged Britains sets/figures, but not so for some other manufacturers.

...I'm very fortunate to have 2 or 3 CHARLES HALL highlanders, originally produced in the early '80s by two brothers I believe from Edinborough....what terrific figures, the eyes are painted in so realistically, and the detail is stunning. Any other collectors familiar with them ? Now they are impossible to find anywhere...

some early Trophy figs. currently on Ebay as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back