Favorite glossy toy soldiers (2 Viewers)

favorite glossy toy soldiers

• Total voters
Hello Uncled, Do you, or does anyone else have a photo or two they might post of these CHARLES HALL highlanders? I'd like to see what they look like.

Actually no, Russ...don't have the digital cam to upload these...but they are very nice. The whites of the eyes are actually painted in and the facial shading is reminiscent of the best of Stadden.

Britains is like your everyday beer and some of the others are your going out with friends beer

Of their recent glossy ranges my criticism of Britains are as follows:

Redcoats/Bluecoats and FIW - they are like uniform catalogues - one figure per regiment - it makes it difficult to do large scale dioramas.

Crimea/Indian Mutiny - I quite liked these particularly the Indian Mutiny but they sort of finished before they really got started or maybe they just have an extermely slow release schedule. So I haven't collect.

Zulu - Britains could be a serious contender for the best matte range but there are too few releases to challenge either Trophy or Little Legion in gloss.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with these comments by and large.

I picked Britains since that is all I collect. I decided some years ago that I had to specialize in one manufacturer for budget reasons.

I've gone further and decided to stick with gloss. I recently cancelled my order for the matte Durbar elephant after I saw the Kitchener figure and how it just didn't go well with my gloss Durbar elephants.

Instead, I bought the limited edition Queens Own Cameron Highlanders pipes and drums and Colour Party. :) I think these figures set a new standard for paint detail among gloss manufacturers.

I picked Britains since that is all I collect. I decided some years ago that I had to specialize in one manufacturer for budget reasons.

I've gone further and decided to stick with gloss. I recently cancelled my order for the matte Durbar elephant after I saw the Kitchener figure and how it just didn't go well with my gloss Durbar elephants.

Instead, I bought the limited edition Queens Own Cameron Highlanders pipes and drums and Colour Party. :) I think these figures set a new standard for paint detail among gloss manufacturers.

I wish I was that wise and focused:rolleyes:.

Paulo

Here you go, Paolo,
Another vote for Imperial and, for those that might be on the fence and looking for some examples;

A link to our Imperial Production Napoleonics gallery;

http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/album.php?albumid=245

As nice as the painting is on some of the best of the rest, I think the sculpture work of David Cowe is what sets the Imperial Productions figures apart.

Cheers,
D

There has been a change in the Poll figures.

Imperial has overtaken W. Hocker with 2 new votes.

The updated standings: Trophy at 10, Imperial at 7 and W. Hocker at 6.

Raymond.:)

I am not at all ashamed to admit that I finally convinced my Mom to register here so she could vote.

:)

She is the lady at the source of the lion's share of the archived details of the history of Imperial Productions and so she is necessarily biased. That said, she spent a lot of years combing through toy soldier shows and catalogs to track down all the Imperials with my Dad. She is, therefore, not without a certain expertise in the subject.

:cool:

Another update. There is one vote in for Hiriart.

Good.

Update on Glossy Leaderboard.

Trophy 10

Imperial 8

William Hocker 6

Britains (New) 4

Little Legion 3

Imperial is marching forward. Will it pass Trophy ?

update on glossy leaderboard.

Trophy 10

imperial 8

william hocker 6

britains (new) 4

little legion 3

imperial is marching forward. Will it pass trophy ?

dear raymond - "glossman": For what it is worth i voted of course for old trophy miniatures wales, ltd a while back on this pole. Gary "iron brigade". 12/20/2009

dear raymond - "glossman": For what it is worth i voted of course for old trophy miniatures wales, ltd a while back on this pole. Gary "iron brigade". 12/20/2009

Dear Raymond: Oops! I forgot to make note that of course I think that Imperial Productions of New Zealand has most splendid paint jobs of any toy soldier manufacturer in the world. Gary - "Iron Brigade". 12/20/2009

Does anyone have any of the Greenwood & Ball Plantagenet series "Regiments of the British Empire" ? They are absolutely FABULOUS in terms of the casting and painting !! I have two sets, The Black Watch and the KOSB in full dress...the trews on the Lowlanders is unbelievable ! Clearly, the best paintings I've seen in my 20 + years of collecting...unfortunately, I don't have a digital cam to post some pics...but check 'em out if you ever get a chance to purchase !!

Another Imperial vote here!

Bought my first one with saved-up pocket money ($2 NZD a week) and some boosters from Birthday card money! Officer of the Coldstream guards when I was 7 or 8...

15 years on, I'm still going strong - I agree with Drum, I don't personally believe another manufacturer sculpts with the precision and 'life' David Cowe seems to place into his minitures... His calvary sets are something of real beauty...

I must say though, I have been very recently impressed with the glossy WB range, but an earlier post summed up quite concisely that they aren't produced in any kind of quantity to allow for collections, etc.

I also had a look at those Monarch Regalia figures - very fine work as well.

Closing in on Trophy...:D.
On Britains, I find it hard to plan on which figures to collect if you want to build a group. Imagine you want to get a few Franches de La Marine figures from the FIW range, or any other French regiment or group of Indians from that period. The available figures are quite stunning, quality is with the absolute best. But we have 1 Indian figure and 1 Franches de La Marine figures, and that is the situation for more than a year I believe. One does not have the slightest idea if these figures will in future have any reinforcements:( and thus no clue on how to plan your collection. If a complete range was issued, or at least a complete set, either a number of individual figures (like the extensive Tommy Atkins FIW or Culloden range) or a few 4 figure boxes, I would find it easier to take the plunge and plan ahead. Some careful experimenting from Britains seems to be taking place but possibly a little more risk taking would get some rewards. All of this IMHO, what do I know about working in this industry, please excuse me, I don't know a thing about manufacturing strategy, just a few collector's thoughts... That said, I have both the Franches de La Marine figure and the Indian figure:D.
Oh, and another thing I'd love to see would be a Napoleonic Classic Collection in gloss besides just the British Napoleonic individual releases, with Frenchmen and other nationalities. That would possibly have meant that I would have had a tough time choosing between Imperial's glossy Nap line (much harder and more expensive to get at least here in Europe) and any Britains Classic Nap collection.
I am sure there is a market for quality glossy figures like Britains (has anybody seen the unbelievable prices reached on E-bay auctions for T. Atkins Culloden/Jacobite Rebellion figures), but then again who am I to say this...

Paulo

Trophy still leading by two points;)

Cheers

Martyn:)

Trophy still leading by two points;)

Cheers

Martyn:)

Hi Martyn,

It is good to see some of the other manufacturers chalking up votes.

Britains (New) has moved up to 6 votes and is tied in third place with William Hocker.

Best, Raymond.:)

Tommy Atkins and Regal are two more active makers.

I hope Dorset, Tedtoy, Soldiers of the World, Fusilier/T. Atkins and Laura Cuello will get votes too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back