Favorite glossy toy soldiers (4 Viewers)

favorite glossy toy soldiers

• Total voters
I love Trophys, HM and Red Box ( the last two brands are almost completely forgotten). They made excellent toy soldiers at the time.
Al

Trophy Toy Soldiers are my favorites by far, followed by Imperial, somerset, and Soldiers of the World. Cheers!
JW

Beau Geste is my #1
Being a big time Durbar collector Beau Geste has so many
elephants (no Lord Curzon yet) got me hooked
sculpting , paint is awsome also like their size
bought a few set of Monarch Regalia,the procession
like their size,sculpting and painting remins me of Imperial
Have to say Sommerset are awsome but too hard to get
That's me each is own i guess

Soldiers of the World is still being produced . Stockade Miniatures from Stroudsberg, PA. is still a co-owner in the venture. Many of Soldiers of the World figures shown on Regal's site should be credited to the Stockade Miniature folks. I spoke to the owner of Stockade this weekend past and he has and can get whatever SOW figures you want. His website is admittedly outdated but he will provide a list of all that is available..SOW are not Regal owned figures and should be posted on their site as such...Michael

I agree with everything that Paulo says. Imperial wins by a country mile. Their Napoleonics are to die for! However I'm surprised that Soldiers of the World didn't get any votes as they are very similar to Trophy only better (IMO).
Bob

I think that without the surfaces are much more realistic. Real non-shiny luster polish military uniforms. I think the same feeling a greater share of the collector must then drive the production of figures mainly Matte.

I am surprised LL is not getting more votes.

In my book Little Legion 1st in a photofinish over Trophy.

Brian

Well it would have been nice to vote for more than one. With that said however, I voted for Imperial. Here is how I would have voted with four choices:
1. Imperial, Very clean and stylized figures.
2. Monarch. as above.
3. New W. Britain, yes it is a bias opinion but I really do collect them beyond the samples.
4. Hocker, unusual subject matter.
I do not really collect much of anything in real depth though.

As a side note I can confirm that there are more FIW figures coming that will rectify the problem of single representatives for a few units. I can't say any more at the moment however.
Ken

As a side note I can confirm that there are more FIW figures coming that will rectify the problem of single representatives for a few units. I can't say any more at the moment however.
Ken

This great news, I really enjoy this period and Britains Redcoats. Planning on getting a few more soon...

Cheers,
Paulo

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised Tommy Atkins/Fusilier didn't get any votes yet, those are charming glossies and they do interesting themes. Probably the one vote only factor...

Paulo

Can the poll be altered to allow more than one vote?

Can the poll be altered to allow more than one vote?

Yes, this would probably be a good idea, I don't really know how to do it, maybe start a new poll/thread allowing more than one vote? How does one do that guys?:confused:

Paulo

Based on manufacturers still producing, I have voted for Hiriart. They are just wonderful, reasonably priced 54mm, glossy toy soldiers inspired by old Britains with many unusual subject matters. I don't have to worry about the retirement game, either; you still can get their first catalog set 1001 right up through their latest, set 1340. I also have to add that Trophy of Wales, although no longer in business, is awesome. Ditto, Imperial Productions which is available on a very limited basis. So, in effect, there are my three votes.

Although a big fan of Little Legion and Wm Hocker, I have to give a nod to Tedtoy. Ted's Wanted Dead or Alive is a favorite of mine and IMHO one the nicest glossy sets made, his ACW cavalry on the march are pretty darn nice too. :)

B.

Attachments

• 1002171.jpg
    1002171.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 303
  • 1001696.jpg
    1001696.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 307
Been a couple of years since I voted on this poll and things have changed in terms of favorites. Somerset is still dear to my heart, but costs of their figures have made it impossible for me to really add anything in years. I got my first SoW figures at the beginning of 2011 and these are now my favorite glossy figures. They are beautiful, and reasonably affordable, with a huge selection. Good bang for the buck and outstanding production values. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back